What Is The Wiz Good For?

BrokeDad said:
The Pandora looks like a weird item halfway in between a 3G cell phone and a netbook. If I wanted something like that I'd just use my nice Asus Netbook I love. Cellphones are being banned in many areas. I recently went for jury duty and you could NOT take your cell phone into the courthouse. My Wiz was allowed. I loved all the jealous people who saw me watching video and playing games who had to leave their IPhone, Droid, etc in their car.
The Wiz is unique in it's capabilities and size not to mention it actually exists for purchase instead of the 4000 Pandora pre-orders where people are still waiting.

"Is that a Pandora in your pocket or did you cram your netbook in your sweatpants ?"

How much fail can one man contain? I mean really?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
rsuryase said:
GP2X pretty much emulates all 16bit systems, I really don't see the need for The Wiz. As for Pandora, I read it can emulate 32bit systems.

Whilst the GP2X "pretty much" emulates all 16-bit systems, the Wiz does emulate all 16-bit systems. Apart than that and the better controls, form-factor, battery and fantastic OLED screen, I can't see the point in buying one either :rolleyes:

The question really should be "What is this thread good for?"

[/quote]

D.
[/quote]

Not as much as a brit asshole like you !!!

Internet is serious business.

Changing the subject JUST SLIGHTLY. I just recieved a review unit from GPH. I'll be writing a very in-depth review on the console, which I hope to have up on the site in a few days.

He asked if the Wiz was worth it...right? Why are we talking about the Pandora? Anywho, it is deffidently worth the OLED/touchscreen, homebrews, emus, movies, e books, and music i have on it. Unlimited hours of fun for 150 dollars. Best purchase i have ever made!

Hoax said:
He asked if the Wiz was worth it...right? Why are we talking about the Pandora? Anywho, it is deffidently worth the OLED/touchscreen, homebrews, emus, movies, e books, and music i have on it. Unlimited hours of fun for 150 dollars. Best purchase i have ever made!

I think it's because from the Wiz's launch, the Pandora has always cast a shadow over the Wiz. There was always this more powerful handheld hovering in the distance and it made people think twice about buying a Wiz, or maybe just to wait for the Pandora. I can say with absolute certainty that this definitely had an effect on the number of GP2X F-100 users who would have otherwise bought the Wiz. It's a shame because the Pandora is still not out and people have missed out on the Wiz in the meantime.

You cant hold a netbook with two hands and play a game or type an email. I have tried and I always end up holding it with one hand and operating it with the other which is just uncomfortable and awkward. Not the same thing by a long shot. I was planning to get a wiz but decided to get a dingoo instead as they both do the same things (gp2x in smaller form factor), sure the wiz might have a much nicer display and a little bit of an edge power wise. The dingoo low price and decent controls won me over. The wiz is just plain too expensive for what it doesnt/cant do imo and costs twice as much as the dingoo....

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH... I am just about to buy a wiz someone stop me....

BrokeDad said:

D.

Not as much as a brit asshole like you !!!
Oh my, how nice.

What does "Brit" have to do with anything? If he was black you would be using the "N" word too I suppose. And we (I hate to admit sometimes that I am from the US) wonder why the rest of the world hates us? With arrogant statements like that I think we know some of the reasons.

Iorgy77 said:
You cant hold a netbook with two hands and play a game or type an email. I have tried and I always end up holding it with one hand and operating it with the other which is just uncomfortable and awkward. Not the same thing by a long shot. I was planning to get a wiz but decided to get a dingoo instead as they both do the same things (gp2x in smaller form factor), sure the wiz might have a much nicer display and a little bit of an edge power wise. The dingoo low price and decent controls won me over. The wiz is just plain too expensive for what it doesnt/cant do imo and costs twice as much as the dingoo....

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH... I am just about to buy a wiz someone stop me....
Hey you look just like Craig ;)

I don't think the Wiz is too expensive. Yes it is more than the Dingoo but you get more. You can't expect to get more and it be the same price. The Wiz has double the RAM, larger SD storage (up to 32 GB), a more expensive high contrast Tru-blackTM OLED display, touchscreen, 3D GPU, removeable battery, and shoulder buttons that you can actually use. All of that and the difference between them is only the cost of an Xbox 360 game. Not too bad.

How much smoother is UAE4ALL on wiz than gp2x?

Whats the deal with screen tearing? Is it really bad? I am just on playasia hovering above the checkout button. :D

Iorgy77 said:
How much smoother is UAE4ALL on wiz than gp2x?

Whats the deal with screen tearing? Is it really bad? I am just on playasia hovering above the checkout button. :D
Well don't Dingoos have tearing? It isn't any worse and it is completely fixable in software (just write code to render on a 240X320 orientation). Some stuff has been fixed already like Megadrive, GB/GBC, MAME and some others. Temper PC engine emu, and SNES does have tearing in some games but it isn't bad and is not noticeable many times it has been reduced by a screen timing utility. In other things it is minimised by the screen timing set utility that can be run in a script before emus. I am not saying it isn't there it is at times but it doesn't seem horrible and is much better than what it was in the beginning.

Amiga is much better to me than it was on the GP2X. It was much too choppy for me on that. Now it is better and is truly playable. I am not saying it is perfect as it still has some FS in some games but it is definetly improved. Is it improved enough? That is truly subjective I don't want to mislead.

I really like the Wiz, especially due to the OLED screen. I had a GP32 FLU and I played it a lot (enough to warrant purchasing a BLU when it was released) and then I bought a GP2x. The GP2x got some use to begin with and then I just stopped using it really. For some reason it just didn't have the pull to keep me interested in it like the GP32 did. The Wiz, on the other hand, has had the same pull on me as the GP32 and I really like to just grab it frequently and play quick blasts of fun little games (which I suppose are the ones that appeal to me most).

I tried a Dingoo and was even asked to buy it (the owner didn't want it anymore) and I can't say I was interested in it either ;).

Well the dingoo has been a fun little system for me, both mine and my brothers havent missed a beat quality wise. The only issue I have had is with dingux occasionally corrupting our microSD cards. The controls on the dingoo are great besides the shoulder buttons which arent very easy to find in the heat of a battle in SFII for example.

Like you Peter the dingoo feels more to me like the gp32 than the gp2x. Something was off with the gp2x, still a great system though.

My main issue with the wiz besides the price has been the dirpad and button configuration, it doesnt look very good in pictures, in fact it looks downright terrible. Oh well, guess I will find out for myself soon as I have one on order from playasia. :D

DaveC said:
What does "Brit" have to do with anything? If he was black you would be using the "N" word too I suppose. And we (I hate to admit sometimes that I am from the US) wonder why the rest of the world hates us? With arrogant statements like that I think we know some of the reasons.
Aside from the use of "asshole" instead of "arsehole", I would say it is a fairly accurate description! I don't think being described as British can be taken as an insult if you actually are British ;).

Orkie said:
DaveC said:
Aside from the use of "asshole" instead of "arsehole", I would say it is a fairly accurate description! I don't think being described as British can be taken as an insult if you actually are British ;) .

Different rule for the Pakistanis though?

sbock said:
Can a mod please close here?

The question really should be "What is this thread good for?"

I totally agree, dude...

Meh this thread convinced me to buy a wiz, so its not all bad. If the negative things said about the wiz in this thread are its only problems, it sounds like a decent system.

Back