What Is The Wiz Good For?

rsuryase

GP2X pretty much emulates all 16bit systems, I really don't see the need for The Wiz. As for Pandora, I read it can emulate 32bit systems.

well...GP2X can not fully emulate 16bit system , in WIZ is , for example SNES and GBA almost 100% ,,,and pandora..seems to me that we will see pandora in ?? years...
and WIZ TIME HAS NOT COME YET!

oled display(!), trust me you won't wanna go back to a crappy lcd once you played on it.
mostly flawless emulation..and perfect size, at least for me. pandora? come on

Pandora is too expensive for what it is. You might as well get a netbook or a cheap laptop.

There are more emulators for the GP2X and it has some extremely good ones too. The Wiz has better controls and a better screen plus a bit more power. I personally like my Wiz much more than my GP2X. It is also much better built.

If you like the GP2X and don't see the point in getting a Wiz, then simply don't get one :p
The Wiz is basicly a newer model of the GP2X with some extra bells & wistles, the biggest plus in my eyes are the better battery live, better build quality and of course that beautifull screen, the downside for me is the cable, wth were they thinking? What's wrong with plain USB?

I don't like the OLED at all. Sure, it is bright and has great viewing angles, but solid colors look grainy and impure. It's hard to see it from a video of the Wiz, but once you use it you'll see what I mean. The tearing on the Wiz is also pretty bad. If I had been able to find a GP2X F-100, I would have gotten it instead. But, fortunately, I've accumulated enough cash for a Pandora. :)

I dunno, maybe I'm too picky. ;)

chickendung said:
I don't like the OLED at all. Sure, it is bright and has great viewing angles, but solid colors look grainy and impure. It's hard to see it from a video of the Wiz, but once you use it you'll see what I mean. The tearing on the Wiz is also pretty bad. If I had been able to find a GP2X F-100, I would have gotten it instead. But, fortunately, I've accumulated enough cash for a Pandora. :)

I dunno, maybe I'm too picky. ;)
Well nothing is perfect so far. The OLED has much better contrast, black level, refresh (no ghosting), viewing angles, and even brightness across the screen but yes in solid colors there is a bit of texture. I found in most stuff it isn't noticeable.

LCD has poor contrast, bad "black" level (actually it should be called grey level it can't do pure black), bad viewing angle, ghosting with fast moving things. The brightness is un-even across the screen where the area where the backlight LEDs are is brighter than the other side giving areas of hot spots and washed out graphics.

To me the flaw of the OLED are much less visible than the many of LCD. I guess it is subjective though.

The tearing can be bad although some things have been fixed like Megadrive and GB/GBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the Pandora .. it's not going to be the panacea you think. I'll still stick with the Wiz as I can write and port my own stuff with the open source developers tools I already have working to my geeky hearts content.

its pointless pay for handheld device 350 + USD...you can get netbook for that kind of money...I dont wanna say that pandora doesnt look tempty ,,

varan77 said:
its pointless pay for handheld device 350 + USD...you can get netbook for that kind of money...I dont wanna say that pandora doesnt look tempty ,,
I might try and start shoving netbooks and pandoras up everyone's arse who thinks they're interchangable. That's the point they should notice that those devices are not designed for the same use and therefor have no similar form factor. Get to grips with what you want/need and stop those kind of comparisons.

GPH is coming out with a new handheld next year, so I think I'll skip The Wiz. Do all emulators on the GP2X work on The Wiz?

rsuryase said:
GPH is coming out with a new handheld next year, so I think I'll skip The Wiz. Do all emulators on the GP2X work on The Wiz?
No, all previous GP2X applications are not compatible with the WIZ. Many emulators have already been ported over however, but you cannot just take a GP2X application and expect it to run on WIZ.

varan77 said:
I just felt the need to comment here, I paid 350+ USD on my 64gb iPod Touch, another mere handheld device which I felt was totally worth the expense. I'm sure there are many people that feel the Pandora is just as worthy of its asking price. While a netbook may be comparable in price its a completely different machine and I'm guessing it will not be nearly as accessible as the Pandora will be.

varan77 said:

I'll be getting a Pandora, because it has some things i find very handy in a pocketable device that a netbook can't do, it's basicly a mini netbook :p
Off course, they'll need to get into shops before i can actually get one...

You can get a working car for the price of a Pandora but it doesn't have the same functionality. A netbook would be too big to have with me all of the time and it doesn't have the right buttons and sticks to play 8nit to 128bit games.

I'm all about the Pandora.

Sorry , I didnt mean to angry anyone. I was refering to first question , "Is WIZ worth it" , simple YES!!!
On the other hand ,at the end I will get pandora myself , cause I am freaking gadget freak!! :D

Back