What Is The Clock Frequency Of The Pandora ?

Clad

Website
www.magnetique.net
Hello,

I'm sorry if this topic is a bit redundant since it's already been discussed on a few other threads, but all the informations posted tend to be contradictory, confusing or unclear.

Just so we all understand, could someone who know what he is talking about answer those simple questions ?

- Which is the max frequency all devices can reach out of the box ?

- Which max frequency could be expected with manual or semi-automatic (a la squidgesnes & cie) overclocking ?

- How will dynamic overclocking/underclocking work ? Will it vary automatically accordingly to the processor usage ? Will apps have to request a specific clock speed ? What would be the minimum clock speed ? And the steps ?

Same questions applies to the GPU.

According to ARM it has been tested up to "1100+"MHz", and as their estimate for the GP2X processor was accurate (250MHz) I assume this one is as well.

http://www.openpandora.ca/ - MW suggest that it will set to 550MHz by default. But there is reason to suggest that all units will clock a bit higher than this atleast. ARM webpage says atleast 650MHz, but I would wait for word from TI which has only stated that the OMAP 3430 is clocked at 550Mhz.

Aquilus said:
According to ARM it has been tested up to "1100+"MHz", and as their estimate for the GP2X processor was accurate (250MHz) I assume this one is as well.
*sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I was being rude. :(

the 1100+ MHz was created from another process than the one for 650+.

If you go to the ARM page, it describes the GP process and the LP process. The OMAP3430 used in the Pandora is most likely using the LP process which according to ARM allows atleast 650MHz.

icurafu said:

If you go to the ARM page, it describes the GP process and the LP process. The OMAP3430 used in the Pandora is most likely using the LP process which according to ARM allows atleast 650MHz.
Well, if MWeston says it will, I believe it.

mweston never said the Pandora will run at 1GHz. He just said something about the Cortex-A8 at 1GHz using a certain ammount of Wattage and comparing that to a RISC based CPU developed by the Chinese for home computers.

He would have got the power consumption figures from the ARM page, even if they were a little low for 1GHz.

...unless CPU = 550MHz; GPU = 120MHz; Memory = 333MHz.

550 + 120 + 333 = about 1GHz. :D ;)

icurafu said:
mweston never said the Pandora will run at 1GHz. He just said something about the Cortex-A8 at 1GHz using a certain ammount of Wattage and comparing that to a RISC based CPU developed by the Chinese for home computers.

He would have got the power consumption figures from the ARM page, even if they were a little low for 1GHz.
...unless CPU = 550MHz; GPU = 120MHz; Memory = 333MHz.

550 + 120 + 333 = about 1GHz. :D ;)

That might be though, I can't really say why he would've made that comparison if what he said did not apply to the Pandora.

Iirc, MWeston has said that it'll perform at least similarly to a GP2x clocked at 1100MHz. but that's far from saying that that will be it's actual clockspeed...

Tobriand said:
Iirc, MWeston has said that it'll perform at least similarly to a GP2x clocked at 1100MHz. but that's far from saying that that will be it's actual clockspeed...
He did say that its actual clockspeed was 1000MHz though.

That kind of information is under NDA ;)

But we can say that recent tests make the Pandora roughly about 3 times faster than a bog standard gp2x when executing the same code (Not code compiled specifically for the Pandora).

Squidge said:
That kind of information is under NDA ;)

But we can say that recent tests make the Pandora roughly about 3 times faster than a bog standard gp2x when executing the same code (Not code compiled specifically for the Pandora).
*DROOL*

icurafu said:

You don't have any reason to believe this. Furthermore, Squidge said that the info MWeston posted is not meaningful.

And "will perform like an 1100MHz GP2X" sounds over the top too, unless it's clocked at over 800MHz. However, MWeston concocted got that figure from 550MHz, and I don't think that Cortex-A8 will have over 2x the IPC on average code.

I hope people aren't comparing clock speeds across desktop processors with the arm one..

craigix said:
It's a surprise.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

teggun said:
I hope people aren't comparing clock speeds across desktop processors with the arm one..
I don't get into comparing the mhz ratings across different cpu's, but when it comes to performance, how would a arm 9 at 240mhz compare to a p2 at 240mhz? And how would the SOC compare to a pc running at 240mhz?

Chris

christo930 said:
I don't get into comparing the mhz ratings across different cpu's, but when it comes to performance, how would a arm 9 at 240mhz compare to a p2 at 240mhz? And how would the SOC compare to a pc running at 240mhz?
Or, more to the point, who cares? :)

christo930 said:

Chris
883658.JPG

Back