What Is Hot?

RockOut

Website
www.godsofallmedia.com
I know that this has been asked many times, but since I am hopefully getting my GP2x w/ extras tomorrow, I am interested in which programs you recommend getting for the GP2x. I have 2 1gb cards and 1 512 mb card. I am trying to get a 2gb.

EX. working emulators, fast homebrew games, good commercial games.

Thanks a bunch.

The games I have played the most so far are The Ur-Quan Masters and Payback.

I also was addicted to Alex Kidd for a while.

Stella (Atari 2600 emulator)
MAME2X (M.A.M.E.)
PicoDrive (Genesis emu)
FCEultra (NES)
Squidge's SNES or NK's SNES (Squidge's is faster, but does not have transparancy support)
GneoGeo (Neo Geo emu)
Atari 800 (does it even have a name? :lol: I'm not sure, but it plays A800 disks & Atari 5200 carts)
GNUboy (Gameboy Color emu)
Alex Kidd (SMS/Game Gear emu)

... damn, too many good things to remember ... must return to Lufia2 on GBC. ;)

TelcoLou posted on Dec 25 2006 at 11:05 PM said:
Stella (Atari 2600 emulator)
MAME2X (M.A.M.E.)
PicoDrive (Genesis emu)
FCEultra (NES)
Squidge's SNES or NK's SNES (Squidge's is faster, but does not have transparancy support)
GneoGeo (Neo Geo emu)
Atari 800 (does it even have a name? :lol: I'm not sure, but it plays A800 disks & Atari 5200 carts)
GNUboy (Gameboy Color emu)
Alex Kidd (SMS/Game Gear emu)

... damn, too many good things to remember ... must return to Lufia2 on GBC. ;)

Everything TelcoLou said plus Spout, Noiz2sa, and Frodo (C64 emu). But really, just explore. That's part of the fun. Keep up with this community. Personally, that's "made" the GP2X for me, even though I don't play it every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the stuff that is listed is great, I think you should also check out the port of gpsp to the gp2x. Zodttd is doing an awesome job porting it :D .

I'll have to look into those. :)

I am just wondering whether Picodrive or DRMDX is better for Genesis.

BTW: Can you compile any linux game/program for the GP2X or do you need to do any porting?

drmxd was awesome but picodrive is pretty much the best now. It can run most games full speed with underclocking and has better compatibility. Annoying menu though.

RockOut posted on Dec 25 2006 at 10:31 PM said:

i like picodrive it keeps its selector on your last rom, slow selector tho.
i suggest getting pd and over-clocking it to 220mhz and the put usa in region selection (60 fps even on European roms!) drmdx is great for other sega fun but for some reason it sometimes bugs out on my 2x (goes at 5fps :blink: ) :D :D have fun!!

purple_goat posted on Dec 26 2006 at 07:47 AM said:
RockOut posted on Dec 25 2006 at 10:31 PM said:

i like picodrive it keeps its selector on your last rom, slow selector tho.

Even when you hit left-right instead of up-down on the joystick??

I guess it's just what you like yourself. I really think c64 emulation is very hot, but I'm sure a lot of gp2x users will never touch it.

If you're into great graphics and like to show off your GP2X, I should say GNGNeo2x, but of course Picodrive and drmdx are fantastic as well. Try both. At first you'll probably like drmdx more, it has a great and attractive gui.
When you like homebrew with great graphics you could try Blingo. Also flobopuyo, tilematch and beat2x are great fun.
It is possible to run some ps1 games on the gp2x with GP2PSX, some people think that's really hot.

I think the hottest thing about the GP2X is the community, you don't even have to own one to enjoy it :)

RockOut posted on Dec 26 2006 at 07:31 AM said:
BTW: Can you compile any linux game/program for the GP2X or do you need to do any porting?

As I understand it, the gp2x doesn't have a full blown distro. So you can't use it like debian. Lot's of programs use the X server and that isn't available for gp2x (yet) The key mapping will also be a problem, so 'out of the box' the programs will not work.
There is STerm, a terminal emulator, for the GP2X (haven't tried it myself) you could play around with that.

[edit] Forgot to mention gmenu2x, this is a 'must install asap' app!

Ive been addicted to Sensible Soccer on SquideSnes (the GREATEST football game of all time), Lotus on the PicoDrive, GoitGP (homebrew) and DevC++ (programming).

And Ive not scratched the surface yet.

Back