What have you bought recently?

So, a couple days ago I started tossing some stuff that was floating around in my head into my notebook. Oddly, it sounds like the notes of someone studying weird cults. I feel that is fitting.

As for the stories I eventually want to write, this might serve as an companion work, and for now it does a pretty good job of accompanying other stories while adding additional details that were missing (many of the things were sometimes only used to add atmosphere to stories, but can be fleshed out by parts of other stories (not by me)).

I am limiting my notes to stuff by only a few authors, mainly one (HPL), except where there is direct borrowing from others, or working with them (the so-called revision stories and such). Most of the wikis and other online resources include a bit too much that I don't think is relevant. Luckily, there are books where people have compiled what I am looking for. The one I have works great as a reference, and it helps me find things I have missed or forgotten, but there is a bit too much in some sections, and I just want to write things down in a way that seems more logical to me. There is another reference type book I would like to take a look at, if I could find it at a library. (If I were buying books right now there are a few hundred dollars worth of other books I would get before I bought that one.) I suspect that one would be a little better for my purposes than what I have, and probably more accurate in certain areas. I am not sure which authors and stories it covers, so it could turn out to be useless. Maybe Google or Amazon have samples I can take a look at.

Anyway, I am having fun, and it is funny that my notes resemble the sort of things I am writing them about.

Only if the you count the GF's disappointment at the limited number of NES carts in the box
Sounds like some awesome consequences to me! Go get some more. ;)

I pre-odered one of these lego quad/hexa/octa copter kits as a Christmas present for my nephew, and it is in the mail now.

It is more expensive than I would like, but it was discounted during the pre-order period, so that was helpful. There are some cheaper, more DIY options, but this seems like it will be a bit more child-friendly. If this goes well, then I'll teach the kid to solder and we'll move on to some tougher projects.

I just tried out their configuration utility (open source chrome app) on my Pandora and it seems to work fine in ptitSeb's build of Chromium. I might see if I can mess around with the source code to see if I can resize the app to better fit the Pandora screen.

Not sure how easy it will be to connect with the Flybrix board over USB from the Pandora, but I'm optimistic that I'll be able to substitute my Pandora for a laptop to flash firmware to the copter. I may need to use the command line version of the Teensy Loader, or try out hf libs, as the ARM version of the Teensy app is compiled for RPi.

I'm unsure whether the Pandora will be able to act as a remote, but will probably try to get that working as well.

The Nintendo Classics Mini NES,
And I took some Pix to compare it against the GBA SP and the Gameboy..

fb4a79de43d4e571c4d11067a659fca2.jpg
12fffcac4a03e9c4c5a198456af44af6.jpg
0eba3a959bb948593c9f6621a612ab97.jpg

yay, blaster master

Attachments

• 15094520_10202153477555944_4567677089232945733_n.jpg
    15094520_10202153477555944_4567677089232945733_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 168
yay, blaster master
I played it as a kid, and own it now, just never understood why it was so popular. I think Astynax is much better, and I don't think I have ever come across anyone else mentioning it.

Maybe we should make an NES game discussion thread if there isn't one already.

I wish mine looked like that. I lied about it being blue. I think I have some food coloring so I can kinda make it blue and green. Maybe the crust could also use some colour.

To be on topic, I also bought some apples yesterday.

got a bogdon bass. (continuing my fascination with cardboard objects.) had some relatives pick it up, though, and they're not coming til christmas-time, so more waiting games.

(gotta stop preordering things, gets you itchy for new gadgets, but doesn't provide immediate gratification.)

15129703_10102381911781792_1885759244_n.jpg

^ first time I've ever heard of that instrument.

So I got a brand new old second hand copy of Magical Hat Turbo Flying Adventure.
An old favourite. My old copy went AWOL so needed it again and only recently got around to ordering one.

I got a set of the Sega Super Play cards from Panini... Which I've wanted for years since I first heard of them, but was always too much or lost bidding wars.

And the Playing With Power Nintendo NES Classics book.
The book sleeve cover is one of the best I have, imitating a cartridge... With good detail even to the board on the bottom base. Very nice

Now I can answer the question: "Can I engrave something in the ring I just made?" with "Yes, sure!"

Last edited:
Back