1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What have you been buying recently?

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by Uncle Jack, Jun 12, 2015.

1. PCXT

PCXT Active Member

First of all, GPD Win, as something as temporary PDA. I'm quite satisfied with Debian on it, I'm not satisfied with its battery time while in suspend (As HP 200LX former user I'm not satisfied with battery life of any modern handheld device). Fortunately its start-up time with my Debian+MATE is acceptable.

Next, I found this in flea market:
    001.jpg
    To my old computer-related collection. It's like German BTX (and in fact made in Germany by Loewe), but in Swedish, for Swedish service.

I won a few auctions. First of all, another 8-bit micro called "Alphatronic" (Z80, 64kB RAM). Condition: "A week in the lake". Finally fixed it today. Generally every larger component had to be separated, cleaned and brushed with denaturated alcohol. All electrolytic capacitors unusable. Solidified liquid remains of capacitors can be removed from board with acetone - denatured alcohol and naphtha solvent don't work. Found 4 blown 4164. Keyboard connector will probably be OK, if not I'll have to brush it again. Boots to Microsoft BASIC.

I received two more computers from auctions. Unfortunately, all broken in transportation - Zenith EZPC with broken tube (thanks to Polish post) and Power Macintosh 9500 with internal chassis and cooling broken to about 80 pieces (thanks to UPS).
    So about this Mac, I'll probably try to return the remains, but the mainboard/CPU, video card and network adapter seem to be functional.
    So if I won't be able to return it... I'll have some time in February... Cyanoacrylic glue, acetone or MEK plastic welding solvent?

P.S. Ordered 20 4164 chips and a fan grill-type cover. Why fan cover? I don't need the fan cover. I ordered it to increase parcel's rigidity. Maybe with this technique they won't destroy anything inside?

rygD and levi like this.
  2. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

I was just in time to snatch up one of 25 ultimate64 motherboards yesterday. Yay :)

rygD likes this.
  3. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

Resident Evil Revelation 1 and 2 on Nintendo Switch Eshop, I hope this ditnt needs to long to download,
    My Switch is a Diva in terms of WLAN Connection, some time it works, but most of the time not..

4. matzesu

matzesu Advanced Member

A Headphone Mixtable to use 2 Sources at once on one Headphone:
    Listen to Musik from the MP3 Player whyle playing some longtime games like Minecraft or Farming Simulator..
    [​IMG]

And a New Victorinox Swiss Army Knife: the S557 Evogrip
    It was originally a Wenger Modell, but after Victorinox bought Wenger some years ago, they made old Wenger Modells als „Delemont Collection“ but whit some diverence:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ClockworkCoder, rygD and levi like this.
  5. Kev2442

Kev2442 Still French

That took me to Wikipedia :
    "Because of its small size, the HP 200LX was very popular in Japan, so much so that its demise prompted an open-source initiative to design and market an AMD Elan SC400-based replacement to fill its place. This 'Morphy One' club organization created blueprints for the device but no prototype was ever built for reasons which remain unclear."

Makes me wonder how the Pyra would fare today in this market, facing smartphones and everything. They do seem to appreciate craftsmanship and versatility, but would there be a significant demand ? I know a handful of us know better -having lived there and all- than me, so could they please confirm whether it would be a missed opportunity or a wrong move ?

6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I remember Ekianjo set up a shop/website in Japan to sell Pandora there. No idea how successful that was. I also may be misrembering but I don't think he was a native there, so that might be a problem at least in face-to-face sales and support. My understanding is the Japanese tend to be highly suspicious of anything foreign made, and while they're very respectful towards foreigners, they treat you as something of a cultured idiot. European marques don't have nearly the cachet they have in China by comparison.

7. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

I thought the main problem there is that they only want Windows on everything.

8. Kev2442

Kev2442 Still French

They can't be good at everything, I guess :p
    @Klumpen BTW : great links in your signature, but the first one is broken.

9. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I bought a couple rocks.

10. ible

ible Advanced Guard Tower

Thrice in CA, twice in ND, once in the NL
    i wanted some big boulders for the backyard, but now i don't own a home anymore. maybe another day...

(i don't suppose that's what you're talking about...)

11. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Nah, mine are a pair of bloodstone cabochons. A while ago I cut off a piece of high gauge copper to see if I could hammer it into a ring. It too the shape I wanted, but since I was using the wrong kind of hammer it lost most of the marks I wanted. I started bending it it and eventually decided how I would attach the stone (I considered tension, but decided to wrap it with wire so it won't fall out). I wanted it to have extra weight, so rather than cutting off the excess I bent it back. Unfortunately, while doing that I warped the shape a bit and broke one of my pliers, and the pliers cut through the cloth I was using to protect the finish...then I decided I liked the primitive and rustic look it had from the pliers, so I just used bare ones to finish bending it and sanded it down to smooth the surface some. I have been wearing it for the past several weeks, with some strong through where the cab will go, just too make sure it is comfortable, and to see how it will react with my skin. My hand now feels naked without it, and the little bit of blue skin is kept under control as long as I scrub around my finger when I wash my hands.

I got two stones in case I break one or something.

I would love to put some standing stones up when I build my house. I will probably use local stuff and dig it up myself.

12. levi

FWIW, if anyone here has been genuinely affected by the fires and land/mudslides that have hit parts of the US recently, then my best wishes go out to them.

13. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Wrong thread. Also, those things happen all the time.

14. levi

Yeah, but not so often to internet connected people who register on nerdy sites like this and have passable english.

Anyway, OT, the last thing I bought was a bottle of lemon juice. For pancakes and for long gin-based drinks.