What Happened To Epicenter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yorper posted on Feb 11 2007 at 02:33 PM said:
I gotta say reading through the initial linked thread and some other things is really putting me off getting a gp2x. I've been wanting one for a while but thought id watch and see how things go with it. I was going to get one but now im stuck 50/50 :(

If you like, you can list your concerns and we'll try to address them for you. We aren't going to make money from trying to sell you one or anything, but we like providing information to people interested in our little console. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
saehn posted on Feb 11 2007 at 07:40 PM said:
Yorper posted on Feb 11 2007 at 02:33 PM said:
I gotta say reading through the initial linked thread and some other things is really putting me off getting a gp2x. I've been wanting one for a while but thought id watch and see how things go with it. I was going to get one but now im stuck 50/50 :(

If you like, you can list your concerns and we'll try to address them for you. We aren't going to make money from trying to sell you one or anything, but we like providing information to people interested in our little console. :)

Well first thing first, all that was stated in the first post of the thread "whats up with you guys mk2" instantly made me think twice about getting one. Then theres my own concerns of the "random bricking" thing ive read about, as ive spent the last few days doing some intensive reading, though i think some may be out dated but it all helps. The whole load of people moaning about the emulation quality. Finally the build quality of the system as in its reliability as it seems a number of people experiance defaults.

Obviously the bricking because i dont want to wake up one morning to find my new system has decided to commit suicide on me <_< And the emulation thing because the main reason ive been thinking about this system is for emulation, with homebrew a very close second.

Now dont get me wrong, im not expecting anything great in the emulation front, as in im not expecting N64 emulation (and i dont care for psx). But what i do want is megadrive, neogeo, snes and nes. From what ive read it seems the megadrive emulation is perfect with picodrive. However it seems the NES and SNES emulation leaves alot to be desired by some people, yet is loved by others which has me stuck in the middle as untill i try it first hand i cant really tell.

Then theres mame, from what ive read mame is based off mame 0.34 and works more or less perfectly, and neogeo isnt far behind by the looks of things if you're actually able to clock your cpu up high enough. Which im also wondering whats the average limit the cpus clock to for others and hold stable?

I think thats about everything thats concerning me right abouts now, and thanks for the offer to explain or clear up a few of them :)

Yorper posted on Feb 11 2007 at 03:58 PM said:
Well first thing first, all that was stated in the first post of the thread "whats up with you guys mk2" instantly made me think twice about getting one. Then theres my own concerns of the "random bricking" thing ive read about, as ive spent the last few days doing some intensive reading, though i think some may be out dated but it all helps. The whole load of people moaning about the emulation quality. Finally the build quality of the system as in its reliability as it seems a number of people experiance defaults.

Obviously the bricking because i dont want to wake up one morning to find my new system has decided to commit suicide on me <_< And the emulation thing because the main reason ive been thinking about this system is for emulation, with homebrew a very close second.

Hmmm, everything I've ever read indicates that temporary "bricking" only occurs to people who try to update their firmware without reading the directions fully, or else they made a mistake in the process. Seems like it's almost always recoverable, too. Power users, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Now dont get me wrong, im not expecting anything great in the emulation front, as in im not expecting N64 emulation (and i dont care for psx). But what i do want is megadrive, neogeo, snes and nes. From what ive read it seems the megadrive emulation is perfect with picodrive. However it seems the NES and SNES emulation leaves alot to be desired by some people, yet is loved by others which has me stuck in the middle as untill i try it first hand i cant really tell.

Those four emulators are great, in my opinion. Here are a few links you can view to see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22v76vMhY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NrTS_ut74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3bZxwBGgo

Then theres mame, from what ive read mame is based off mame 0.34 and works more or less perfectly, and neogeo isnt far behind by the looks of things if you're actually able to clock your cpu up high enough. Which im also wondering whats the average limit the cpus clock to for others and hold stable?

Most people can get up to 240mhz from what I've seen. Craig (gp2x.co.uk) charges a little more for a tested-as-266mhz, but you could always buy from another supplier and take a gamble. I did, and I got a 266 GP2X. Your results may vary.

saehn posted on Feb 11 2007 at 11:25 PM said:
Hmmm at everything I've ever read indicates that temporary "bricking" only occurs to people who try to update their firmware without reading the directions fully, or else they made a mistake in the process. Seems like it's almost always recoverable, too. Power users, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
The autobricking was a bug in the old (pre firmware 2.0) bootloader. It has been fixed for ages now :)

NES is 'good enough', though I wish someone would start devving on one of the old emulators... SNES is awesome now with the new DrPocketSnes releases. Now I'm too busy playing Chrono Trigger (with transparencies!) to keep devving. Damn you Reesy, damn you! (j/k :D )

Oh yeah, and autobricking is so early 2006. Newer firmwares require that you press START+SELECT to upgrade firmware, which basically removes the autobricking problem

Thanks for the replies, pretty much everything i was concerned about isnt a concern anymore now as it would seem its just a small minority doing all the hating, think ill order a gp2x in the next 7 days. Im glad to hear the "auto bricking" thing is old news and is long fixed, this was my biggest concern.

Once again thanks for the info guys and sorry for hijacking this thread ;)

EDIT: Back to the original topic......

Although Epicenter was 'bashing' the gp2x too often, he wasn't a mere troll. I quite liked the discussion going on in off topic regarding Saddam's hanging and the war in Iraq. (after all, he's in the army too)

^^ Well sure, he sounds like the kind of guy I could get along with and have a good discussion with if I met him in real life. But he was screwing up the GP2X portion of the board.

Iorgy77 posted on Feb 12 2007 at 03:42 PM said:
Its good internet forum etiquette to not speak about the banned as they have no way to defend themselves.

He's gone now, get over it, I'm sure he has.
Yes, that is so true.

But fuck it, he was a twat.

A troll with a good lexicon is still a troll.

His trolling didn't affect me, but there were some regulars on this forum applauding him. That bothered me more than Epicenter. Some of these regulars are guys on the forum that use the forum more for chatting than discussing GP2X or retrogaming in general.
Because of Epicenter they tended to spend more chatting about other consoles and the negative sides of the GP2X. Without Epicenter they don't see encouragement for negativity anymore and switched (for now) to a more positive approach.

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
His trolling didn't affect me, but there were some regulars on this forum applauding him. That bothered me more than Epicenter. Some of these regulars are guys on the forum that use the forum more for chatting than discussing GP2X or retrogaming in general.
Because of Epicenter they tended to spend more chatting about other consoles and the negative sides of the GP2X. Without Epicenter they don't see encouragement for negativity anymore and switched (for now) to a more positive approach.
Well now, appauding is an awfully strong word. There were people (including myself) who didn't think he was as bad as many others made him out to be. Other than that, who was applauding him?

i got tired of him about 2 weeks before permaban, the ting that ticked me of the most was when he claimed that payback didn,t have Hdr lightmaps then he showed me a pic of Unreal engine3 as comparison, then i lost all hope of intelligent conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back