What Happened To Alec.mooo.com?

centus

I just got the strangest warning from Google about that site, saying it was spreading maleware.
Anyone have any idea?

"Reported Attack Page!
This web page at alec.mooo.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

Here's the full details from their detailed report:
"Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for mooo.com

What is the current listing status for mooo.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 10 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 288 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-07-13, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-07-11.

Malicious software includes 39 trojan(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including freemovies.hut.ru/.

This site was hosted on 26 network(s) including AS16265 (LEASEWEB), AS21844 (THEPLANET), AS49544 (INTERACTIVE3D).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, mooo.com appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 66 site(s) including ridiculousfaith.com/, xn--gunds-zua.dk/, strangelovemusic.com/.

Has this site hosted malware?

Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 55 domain(s), including video48.net/, danthompsonart.com/, zwayah.com/.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message."

centus said:
I just got the strangest warning from Google about that site, saying it was spreading maleware.
Anyone have any idea?

often many websites are hosted by 1 single server, if one of those sites has malware, the server's IP gets flagged as the source.

this could be the case.

Edit: or it could be that the site's script was really hacked and malware was installed, altho I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
mooo.com is one of the domains you can make subdomains for if you use http://freedns.afraid.org. Since mooo.com itself is also a reported attack site, my best guess is that someone made one of the subdomains take you somewhere with malware.

Uh? What? The page is there, if you trust it, use it. I find it very empty, only having 2 items on the front page, but perhaps thats what there should be.
B!

Mr B said:
Uh? What? The page is there, if you trust it, use it. I find it very empty, only having 2 items on the front page, but perhaps thats what there should be.
B!

byebye stopBadware...
it quite suck that you can't have a list of "white" site localy... and by the way stopbadware is quite right, that page call a dangerous javascript from google analytics...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems google has classified the Pandora new aggregator with the ominous warning "This site may harm you computer"...

The site with the warning is:
http://alec.mooo.com/lol/cxs.php

BEFORE you blindly click the above link, make sure your browser actually blocks you from going to this site. Camino and Firefox (newest versions) seem to block you automatically. I was not willing to see what MS IE would do.

Maybe the person that made this nice site will see this note and investigate.

Cheers.

(edit: merged threads)

All it means is that one of the sites hosted on mooo.com appears to link to another site which is known to try and infect the user, either intentionally, accidentally, or virally. It is not alec.mooo.com specifically, it is all mooo.com that has been flagged because of this one host. There is nothing Alec can do to correct the problem, only the owner of the subdomain (or the owners of mooo.com) can fix it.
Sadly, I don't know how to tell from looking at the report which subdomain it actually is that's broadcasting the infection.

Back