What Games 'should' Work In Dosbox

Vince2501

Just thought I'd ask, there's quite a few dos games where the source code has not been released, and quite a few I'd love to play on the go:

I would assume the classic sidescrollers like Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Alien Carnage. Commander Keen, and etc will work. But what about Worms?

FPS (where no Source Code is available):

Shadow Warrior
Blood (very important title for me)
Powerslave
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Redneck Rampage
Strife

Feel free to add others.

Processor speed under DOSbox is looking to be in the high 386 to low 486 range.

Look up the system requirements for a game:
If it requires more processor power than a low end 486, then it probably isn't going to be playable.
If it has any specific graphics card requirements (Voodoo, TNT, etc), then it probably won't run at all.
If it requires windows 3.1, it probably won't run.
If it requires win95 or higher, it definitely won't run.

If a game isn't disqualified by anything I listed above, then it will probably run well enough under DOSbox. There are sure to be some games that should run, but for whatever reason, just don't behave under emulation. It's going to take trial and error to figure out which those are.

That's the best answer you're going to get before the Pandora ships.

You can safely assume that none of those FPSs will run acceptably in dosbox (except maybe blake stone). It's highly unlikely that you're going to be able to play Blood on pandora, unfortunately. I guess I may be proven wrong though...

Also it's worth mentioning that the source code for shadow warrior IS available :) And you can just play the playstation version of powerslave.

Zdoom plays Strife. There is also a fairly accomplished Blood total conversion called zBlood. Look Here.

I will do a quick port of Zdoom to Pandora based on my GP2X version. However i still have some random hard to identify bugs to iron out, so it may be a little while before i can get the mentioned games working 100%.

I've had Tomb Raider running perfectly through DOSBox under linux, though that on my 3GigHz Pentium machine.

I would love to have portable Tomb Raider - great game I've never finished...

Miner49er said:
I've had Tomb Raider running perfectly through DOSBox under linux, though that on my 3GigHz Pentium machine.

I would love to have portable Tomb Raider - great game I've never finished...
PSX4Pandora ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Search for the thread which actually discusses DosBox - I'm sure they went through a spate of games which worked ok, basically ask the dev what games they have tried and which ones they could try.

There were quite a lot of classic games that worked quite happily on 386 and 486 machines - Dune II (they did confirm this worked), Championship Manager, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, etc

I think thread should somehow join that one, but can seen why its got resurrected again

The early Broken Sword games should run, they run under PSP. (or a low end 486). Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis will run too, that's running fine under the PSP. Warcraft 2 has already been tested running hasn't it?

Replaying Broken Sword is going to be so sick, I'm so tempted to install it now, but I'm going to wait until I have my Pandora.

Butterman said:
The early Broken Sword games should run, they run under PSP. (or a low end 486). Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis will run too, that's running fine under the PSP.
Those two will work under ScummVM too, and IMO much better and comfortable there.

Warcraft 2 has already been tested running hasn't it?
At full speed :)

Call me silly, but I really want NO$GMB on my pandora. It'd be useful if I get back into romhacking, which would be pretty sweet to do on the pandora.

Vince2501 said:
Just thought I'd ask, there's quite a few dos games where the source code has not been released, and quite a few I'd love to play on the go:

I would assume the classic sidescrollers like Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Alien Carnage. Commander Keen, and etc will work. But what about Worms?

FPS (where no Source Code is available):

Shadow Warrior
Blood (very important title for me)
Powerslave
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Redneck Rampage
Strife

Feel free to add others.
Aside from duke-nukem 1 and keen (1), I would say no to just about every game here. Maybe Blake stone or Keen 4 without sound (doesn't work on my 700mhz G4 emac). When I say work, I mean work well and at playable speed and without jerking around making you overstep, understep... Like you hit the button, it doesn't respond yet because it's slow so you hit it again, and then you move 2 times.. Stuff like that makes a "working" game unplayable. Keen 4 works under gp32 but gives you a headache from all the jerkiness and is slow, so it's not worth it to me.

Chris

It's should be pretty easy to test. I think it was mentioned that the current version of Dosbox tops out at 8000 cycles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pulling that number from memory)
So just start Dosbox, raise (or lower) the cycles to about 8000, start your game and see how well it runs.

Megarace
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns.

I played both on my 486 with no hiccups, so hoping for the best.
Best of all, even if the DOS versions of those won't work, they have console ports too. Megarace on the Sega CD and Lode Runner: TLR on PSX.

My list (not shure if they'll all work):
Arkanoid
Blakestone
Blockout
Blood
Commander Keen
Discworld
Doom(s)
Discworld (edit: 2 :p --> wont run; runs even slow on my desktop)
fire & ice
Gobliiins
heretic
hexen
lemmings (different versions)
Monsterbash (FTW!)
nicky boom
Need for speed
Nightraid
Sam & Max hit the road
Simon the Sorcerer
Strife
Stunts -> maybe tileracer will become a good sucessor
the incredible machine

that's pretty much all
edit: plus some more scumm games

WizardStan said:
It's should be pretty easy to test. I think it was mentioned that the current version of Dosbox tops out at 8000 cycles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pulling that number from memory)
So just start Dosbox, raise (or lower) the cycles to about 8000, start your game and see how well it runs.
I think the current figure is more like 2000 cycles; this should be more as the PSP can do ~3000. There was also some talk of using the DSP for SoundBlaster emulation.

Source:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=673396

Duke_Igthorne said:
My list (not shure if they'll all work):
Arkanoid
Blakestone
Blockout
Blood
Commander Keen
Discworld
Doom(s)
Discworld
fire & ice
Gobliiins
heretic
hexen
lemmings (different versions)
Monsterbash (FTW!)
nicky boom
Need for speed
Nightraid
Sam & Max hit the road
Simon the Sorcerer
Strife
Stunts -> maybe tileracer will become a good sucessor
the incredible machine

that's pretty much all
You mentioned "Discworld" twice, which is very darkly ironic, given Pterry's recently outed condition.

That said, I would love to play those old "Alone In the Dark" games again, especially the first one.

what about games like leisure suit larry the collection and shadow of the comet??

i can take it that full throttle will never be able to run on the pandora? (not through dosbox obviously)

this is pretty disappointing if so

Back