What do you dislike the most in the actual Pandora.

Better ergonomics would be nice.  Doesn't need to be built into the case plastic, even. Just a "rubber-jacket" like Wii-mote controls would be nice. Need something more chunky to hold onto during those long gaming sessions. ^_^

Maybe improved keyboard action, so keys move more straight up and down rather than wobble about.

Faster/better nub calibration would be nice. Also nubs responding better to small input (ie. smaller dead zones).

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming late to the discussion but just found the Pyra board.  Apologies if I'm repeating stuff that has been covered already in other threads.  I don't follow the boards as much as some people do.

I use the pandora everyday at work and it works well for me.  I am happy with it.  Open mobile clamshell device with keyboard, high resolution screen and supportive community.  All good.

The keyboard:  Keyboarding could be faster.   I have a Zaurus that used to be my daily machine and can type much faster on the Z.  Flat keys, less key travel, less squishy resistance on the Z.

The LCD cable:  I am in the process of replacing one now (on order).  Failing LCD cables are a bummer.  I open and close the device on the order of forty times a day or more so the cable gets a lot of abuse.  Would be nice to have something rock solid.  I think I saw that this is being addressed.   

The battery compartment lid needs a better design.  My pandora loses power sometimes when it is bumped in my pocket, triggering a reboot.  Can be a hassle.

Some personal preferences, though not crucial: 

-I would like a bigger screen.  I don't use the speakers so would prefer the real estate going to a screen.  My eyes aren't what they used to be. 

-I don't use the pandora for gaming so don't need the gaming controls and wouldn't mind a smaller machine that fit more easily into the pockets.  (Obviously not with the majority wrt gaming on this one.  Just sayin'.) 

-A lip for easier opening has been mentioned in this thread.  This would be nice.

-Pie in the sky but wouldn't it be nice to have the option of getting the Pyra with an e-ink screen.  I use it mostly for shell interaction/command line stuff so don't need animation.  The extended battery life would be oh so nice.

The keyboard:  Keyboarding could be faster.   I have a Zaurus that used to be my daily machine and can type much faster on the Z.  Flat keys, less key travel, less squishy resistance on the Z.
+1

I've mentioned that before and I think ED also mentioned he'll try to improve the keys. Though there seems to be a lot of opposition to better keys if you look at the discussions about that topic.

I think the screen is going to be bigger, it's going to be 5" and what do we have now, 4.3?

The screen size is no problem to me, but sometimes it's obvious that the LCD can't handle too many colors at the same time.

The screen size is no problem to me, but sometimes it's obvious that the LCD can't handle too many colors at the same time.
?? not sure what you mean by that. And whatever you are experiencing most likely isn't related to the amount of colors on the screen.

It's a general fact that LCDs cannot display their whole color palette at the same time and also this palette differs from display to display.

However, what I mean is that a smooth gradient cannot be displayed as smooth as it is, but you can see multiple stripes/rings. What annoys me is, looking on some photos, some details are missing or i see red shades on the picture.

One example: There should be a smooth gradient, but the display shows sth like this:

18234d1338550855t-gradient-tool-problem-screen-shot-2012-06-01-5.10.05-pm.png

That most likely isn't the LCD, but the X display and I believe the Framebuffer is limited to 16 bit color by default.

Back