What do you dislike the most in the actual Pandora.

Resolution. I use my Panda a lot for general office stuff and would love to fit more on the screen and the performance hit from having a better resolution isn't that big of a deal (for me), I know that if it were to play games with the same GPU at a better res, it would all go to crap.

So I guess to fix my woe, a GPU overhaul would be necessary for a better resolution screen.  

I was also a little disappointed when my case started cracking, and the battery started to get dislodged because a clip broke on the battery flap. Nothing a bit of tape doesn't fix, and to be honest, I couldn't really care less. However, if you're trying to show someone and you've got tape showing on the side, it doesn't look that appealing. 

I would also like to have a different keyboard, I'm not a fan of the rubbery, very squishy feel. I'm not sure what I could compare it to, but a flat plastic button that clicks or pops? would be better for me I think. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If the resolution is too much for some games, just do pixel doubling from 960x540. I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference anyway.

I kind of dislike the resistive touchscreen, a capacitive one would be nicer to use and would maybe have less issues with the border of the screen (I can't click on the border of the screen!).

The nubs are a great idea, but now that I tried I'm not sure. I didn't try playing games but sometimes I'm not able to move the mouse to the left, only up/down/right are working.

Like the nubs, I thought that the keyboard was a good idea, but it is so difficult to use that in the end I don't use it.

Last but not least, the WiFi doesn't work. At least I wasn't able to make it work. A cheap USB WiFi works just so much better.

I know it's not the thread for this, but here are the things that I would like :

- capacitive screen

- better (?) nubs

- optional keyboard

- easy serial adapter without soldering

- working wifi

One idea that have been interesting in the past months is a feature of the Jolla phone, with the "other half" concept. I believe that this would be very good for a pandora successor as there is a great community and we would be able to hack it even better. Just put I2C and/or USB cables there and you should be able to make a lot of things available. Maybe even one for the back and one for the front, so that we could have either a keyboard or a gamepad or a combo with both or keyboard+touchpad, and on the other side plug it into a docking station for power+TV output.

I kind of dislike the resistive touchscreen, a capacitive one would be nicer to use and would maybe have less issues with the border of the screen (I can't click on the border of the screen!).
This isn't really an issue with resistive screens.. the bezel design should of have had a slightly larger opening for the edges.. Capacitive is very inaccurate, android/IOS makes accommodations for this in their UI design.. but when dealing with a regular linux desktop with small buttons and items to click it doesn't make sense.

The nubs are a great idea, but now that I tried I'm not sure. I didn't try playing games but sometimes I'm not able to move the mouse to the left, only up/down/right are working.

There is a bit of breaking in period with the nubs, I had some issues on my 1Ghz and Rebirth units when I first got them, after time I had less and less of an issue with them.. For now moving them around in all directions for a 20 to 30 second period (The Nub dance) can get the auto calibration to work properly.. Going into the Nub configuration tool and resetting them also helps if all else fails.

Also if you have been keeping up, the Pyra has entirely new redesigned nubs.

As for Wifi, I guess I'm lucky, my three units work fine with the internal wifi.. slow, but the n900 with the same wifi adapter doesn't do any better.

Klumpen did. I don't know why. Both GBA.Emu and gpsp work great for me.
gpsp produces crashes in some games later in some games after some hours of gameplay, like in Sword of Mana in at least one boss battle and in Mario & Luigi randomly later in the game.

GBA.emu is a bit slow and does not have fancy image filters.

gpsp produces crashes in some games later in some games after some hours of gameplay, like in Sword of Mana in at least one boss battle and in Mario & Luigi randomly later in the game.

Have you posted everything for devs to easilyreproduce the problem? Maybe someone would tackle it if it was easy to reproduce.

Have you posted everything for devs to easilyreproduce the problem? Maybe someone would tackle it if it was easy to reproduce.
Multiple times, but Exo stated (also multiple times), that he is not into the code of gpsp anymore and has no interest in diggin through it again, no one else wanted to tackle it yet.

This isn't really an issue with resistive screens.. the bezel design should of have had a slightly larger opening for the edges.. Capacitive is very inaccurate, android/IOS makes accommodations for this in their UI design.. but when dealing with a regular linux desktop with small buttons and items to click it doesn't make sense.

There is a bit of breaking in period with the nubs, I had some issues on my 1Ghz and Rebirth units when I first got them, after time I had less and less of an issue with them.. For now moving them around in all directions for a 20 to 30 second period (The Nub dance) can get the auto calibration to work properly.. Going into the Nub configuration tool and resetting them also helps if all else fails.

Also if you have been keeping up, the Pyra has entirely new redesigned nubs.

As for Wifi, I guess I'm lucky, my three units work fine with the internal wifi.. slow, but the n900 with the same wifi adapter doesn't do any better.
I would have to agree about the screen, I like my capacitive screens for phones, but would much rather resistive for the panda/desktop interface.

My nubs were a bit tempermental at first but after using it more and more they seem to be getting better, but I do occasionally get the 'unable to move right' sickness, but doesn't last long. I spend a bit of time in terminal so it's not that big of a deal.

My internal wifi also works, but is incredibly slow, I use an edimax wifi dongle as it's a lot faster. The plastic on it broke though so i covered the antenna with a hot glue gun. Looks professional.... Adds bling to my taped up battery panel.

I disagree with your assertion that an emulator that may crash consistently in some games is unpolished, but to each their own.

I don't care a lot about mouse clicking.

As Shift and Ctrl are on the shoulder buttons and the D-pad is arrow keys I can do 80% of my navigation with D-Pad, shoulder buttons and Enter.

It's the best way for me.

It's much more comfortable for me than the Mouse on my laptop.

Hardware-wise, my hates dislikes are:

1. The Case - There's numerous bits about the case I dislike, mostly where things don't fit properly, notably the battery area/cover and the screen fascia

2. Nubs - I don't like their feel, they never seem to work properly (probably the auto-calibrate thing)

3. USB Charging - If you run the battery totally flat, you can't charge from USB, you need to use the barrel wall charger. Not a major issue, just annoying sometimes when you're out and about and only took the USB cable

The main issue I have with the Pandora is the weight: it is a just a little heavy to hold for a large amount of time. Just a little less should be enough.

I don't care a lot about mouse clicking.

As Shift and Ctrl are on the shoulder buttons and the D-pad is arrow keys I can do 80% of my navigation with D-Pad, shoulder buttons and Enter.
That's a good point, although I'll admit I still occationally hit pgdown instead of enter when navigating menus still, which is a little annoying. I think having space and enter duplicated on gaming buttons would help with PC ports and desktop navigation, but it would seem that there are already good uses for the extra buttons we're likely to have and the current A/B/X/Y assignments of home/end/pgup/pgdown is quite neat as is.

Regarding having a capacitative screen, I don't really ever navigate the desktop with the touchscreen, and a capacitiative screen would be fine or even better for many games. Would kind of stop you using it for Wesnoth or Dune though, which I found was the best way to play those games. But with more dependable nubs, that may be less of an issue.

The main issue I have with the Pandora is the weight: it is a just a little heavy to hold for a large amount of time. Just a little less should be enough.
This is as light as it gets with so many ports, the case even is too thin and it's still too heavy for some. oO

I like the weight, good cameras are a more heavy than cheap ones, so you can hold them steady more easily and I like this about the Pandora too.

I sort of dislike the way you 'leftclick' with the touchscreen or the nubs.
We all do, so we made a buttonclick program.  I dislike that using it conflicts with games sometimes.
I never used that ABMouse thingy. In fact, I invert nubs function all the time (using right nub for mouse move).

And so, having the mouse buttons mapped on ABXY buttons, where would you want the buttons mapped for the game? On the Keyboard?!!! 

I also remind you that _wb_ started a thread, asking for standadisation (here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15273-button-mapping-conventions/), so feel free to contribute there.

What I would like see improved, is Screen Res (along with a bit of screen size increase to avoid to much density), more CPU/GPU/RAM of course, some analog shoulder, an 2 physical button (something flat and small, like between DPad and Left nub and the other between Right nub and ABXY, on the up) mappable has mouse button or Joystick button (and a mouse wheel, but I'm not sure where to put it).

With Dreamcast games becoming more playable on the current Pandoras, I'd certainly like to see better shoulder buttons. I'd love to have two shoulder buttons that were analogue for racing games, not sure how easy that would be to implement though , especially if we're trying to squeeze in another 2 shoulder buttons in there too :unsure:

Back