What do people think of the 1ghz Pandas?

Thinking of getting one. Looks pretty cool they got a new board.

But surely no apps would get developed for them as devs want the software to work on all Pandas?

Thoughts :s

I have been thinking about this possibility for months. I'll be buying one - I just have to time the delivery with my travel so it and I manage to be in the same city at the same time.

Myself, I don't care. :p

The Pandora already did almost all of what I wanted from it from day one (the lone exception being the incorrect emulation of Star Fox, and the lacking and also incorrect emulation of Star Fox 2), and everything else has just been gravy. :)

I'm sure that this will be contrary to some, who may feel put out about it for various reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the price needs to be about a hundred dollars cheaper, although Economies of Scale won't allow that for sure. It's a real shame I've been trying to get on with the minimalist lifestyle here lately...otherwise I would have been emailing the crew about the 1GHZ unit the second they posted the news...although I need more time with my Pandora, just got it yesterday after all.

Awesome!! But then I would say that.I had an old pandora on preorder so i upgraded it to a 1 GHZ model.Still paid an additional and not inconsiderable amount of money though.Consider my pandora passion reignited.

Will they ever be cheaper or are just the first 150 pricey been meaning to get one for donkey years but it took a while for the pandora to materialise and become established I would buy the 1ghz if it was abit cheaper I can't justify nearly £450 hope it comes down in price for us poor sods.

No they won't ever be cheaper. Pandora is such a small operation and they are released so frequently your only hope would of that 150 people that someone puts it on ebay 6 months down the line and it isn't ridiculously expensive (unlikely)

No they won't ever be cheaper. Pandora is such a small operation and they are released so frequently your only hope would of that 150 people that someone puts it on ebay 6 months down the line and it isn't ridiculously expensive (unlikely)
Craig said that they may be a bit cheaper when mass production happens ie after the initial profit making 150 units are sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Prometheus, I'm pretty indifferent to be honest. Overclocking to 900mhz gives my existing unit all the performance I need for the occasional N64 game. Outside that I have it set to 700mhz default, which is more than enough. I don't think a better SoC would solve the problems I do have, like MIDI performance.

I think my Pandora has been outdated before I've even got it <_<
Yeah kind of but you can upgrade your current preorder to the 1GHz model and pay the difference, though it's not cheap.
I don't have enough money to even consider paying out for something like that. Unfotunatly this just comes across as being another kick in the teeth for the people who helped this console get as far as it has done, without getting bugger all back so far.

The 512MB RAM is the only thing that would give me any kind of boost, and that only for web surfing. The 1Ghz might allow for better video playback, but all my videos are 480p at most anyway (most of which are also divX, so even less problem), so haven't really given me issue.

I know there's a market for them, there's always a market for more, I'm just not it, at least not yet. In a couple of years I'm sure I'll want something more, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

I would love to have one of the 1ghz Pandora's however I got the general impression from one of Craig's thread that there was only going to be a small test production run, and the posiblilty of upgrades, however I would imagine this might become time consuming especially when everyone involved it the production already appears to have a hectic enough schedule.

Also as much as myself as well as others would like one and could possibly justify parting with the cash I think it would be nice to give those heavily involved with the Pandora I.e. those who put hours of there time into developing software/maintaining the boards and all the bits behind the scenes should get a first dibs or first referral as a gesture of good will for there efforts. Which in my eyes makes them deserving of one of these beasts than us general joes. If these don't get snapped up by this minority group then by all means offer them up to the general public. I think the faithful folk that have been Behind the project from day one would appreciate this. Just my opinion though.

Back