What did you name your Pandora/s?

My Pandora’s hostname is Dreizehn (german for thirteen) because legend tells I received it on a friday, 13th (which was actually a thursday, 13th but friday is cooler…)

My laptop’s Arkelsechs (arklesix), currently, named after the Hitchhiker’s Guide deity Great Green Arkleseizure and how many times I’ve reinstalled its OS

My desktop is Arc, Arch (Linux) without the h.

My phone‘s called Universe because it’s a Samsung Galaxy…

I'm not creative with hostnames:

askarus-openpandora (was suggested by default)

askarus-E90 (My E90 Communicator)

Laptop: Can't remember.

My wife refers to her as my lover. She claims that I spend more to time with Pandora than with her. Which is of course not true but I guess my wife just like to play that game of jealousy.
haha yeah, your wife knows what's up.  I know some days I spend more time with my Pandora than my wife and kids...  and I joke that it's my favourite child   :)

reminds me of this:

calculadora.jpg

Translation: "O beautiful calculator ... Only you understand me"

Like skeezix, I don't give names to my devices, just hostnames
I don't give my wife flowers, just roses.  I don't have a dog, just a labrador.  Does not compute!  (positronic brain explodes)

what is the obsession with naming your computers? i see so many people doing it. i dont understand it
It's ~required to give a hostname, so might as well use a proper name.

I'd rather be typing "ssh tichy" than "ssh 192.168.1.91" or "ssh pandora3".

But "pandora3" would be a name too, although a dull one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't give my wife flowers, just roses.  I don't have a dog, just a labrador.  Does not compute!  (positronic brain explodes)
You don't understand what I meant. When I talk about my devices, I never use their hostname. I always talk about "my laptop", "my pandora", "my phone" …

Some people actually use a name to refer to their devices and also use that name as a hostname, which I find strange.

EDIT : I had a friend who talked about his computer like it was a girl named "Sophie", but he was completely nuts :D

Unfortunately I don't own a pandora, but if I would have one, I would name it like every device in my local network (except my netbook, which is too old): like Pokémon!

My big PC is "Arcanine". My NAS is called "Magnemite". My girlfriends PC is called "Marill". However, my netbook is called "nightingale". :)

Edit: Oh, I forgot. My Windows VM is called "Magikarp". ;)

Hostnames of my stuff,

Pandora is called Gein
Laptop is called Kurten
Raspberry Pi is called Allitt
NAS is called Shipman

Unfortunately I don't own a pandora, but if I would have one, I would name it like every device in my local network (except my netbook, which is too old): like Pokémon!

My big PC is "Arcanine". My NAS is called "Magnemite". My girlfriends PC is called "Marill". However, my netbook is called "nightingale". :)

Edit: Oh, I forgot. My Windows VM is called "Magikarp". ;)
I lol'd at Magikarp... :D

Ah you mean the Pandora Name in the Network and in shell?

I dont have much Phantasia with such Things.
My Pandora is always called pandora and password pandora on it :D

See my username here,i am Ingo Reis and thats my Name here.
(But not my password here :p )

Ah you mean the Pandora Name in the Network and in shell? I dont have much Phantasia with such Things. My Pandora is always called pandora and password pandora on it :D See my username here,i am Ingo Reis and thats my Name here. (But not my password here :p )
Is your Password "Ingo"?  ;)

All ours are named after precious stones, and other network devices after minerals.

Pandora  (which I has going to paint black) --> Anthracite

USB dongle (bought for use with pandora) --> Lignite

Rapberry Pi --> Haematite

White netbook --> Pearl

Shiny black PC --> Onyx

etc

Oly because all the obvious gemstones got used on now-retired PCs :rolleyes:

"The everlasting star blaster 2000 v.1.21 gigawatts"

No really, I just say Pandora. Why would you name it otherwise?

Hostname "knytt". "Knytt" is a swedish name for, like, little things in the forest. The Moomin stories contains Knytts. 

My netbook is "snusmumrik" - Snufkin :)

Back