What Can The Gp2x Do That Gp32 Cant?

Steve-O

Im looking into buying a GP2X but want to know what can the GP2X do right now that the GP32 cant?

I have been hearing about PSX emulation, what sort of speed is this at??

3. autobrick

Not since FW 2.0 ;)

Well, the gp2x can... play gp2x games :)

Emulators are working way better. NeoGeo and MAME are amazing.

Regarding homebrew stuff, there's not much yet the gp2x can do that the GP32 can't. But the life of the gp2x has just begun, the GP32 is at the end of it's release life, I'm afraid...

Last edited:
Store a LOT more games on it due to using SD cards rather than old SmartMedia.

Better Screen

Better emulation

Can play movies (without trying to compress them down to fit on a 128mb card!)

Actually you can't really compare the two, the GP2X can do a lot more than the GP32 ever could. Unless you just want to play megadrive roms then I'd recommend the GP2X over the GP32 anyday. I had the GP32 and was impressed, but the GP2X was/is 10x better.

Oh you can certainly compare them. The GP32 could do a vast ammount of bits and pieces - some of which the GP2x still can't (simply because the programs - typically emulators - haven't yet been released).

However, the 2x also has NeoGeo, better mame (iirc - though haven't been keeping track of the 32 releases), Amiga (not perfect, but better than none), an even better version of Castaway, a techdemo (but hopefully soonish more than that) psx emu, faster SNES emulation, and a load more.

It also takes cards that are big enough to store more than one film on at higher quality, and take enough music to actually turn it into a viable MP3 player (I considered the GP32's 128mb limit to be too low for that, given the price of cards - much more worth using it on games or a single movie; 1gb is a different story though).

So there is stuff the 2x can do that the 32 can't. However, equally, those who say the 2x wipes the floor with the GP32 should, if you've got access to one, go back to the older console for a while and remind youselves just how polished those games and emus actually are. I was playing DrMD side by side with the 2x and a GP32 OCed to 166MHz, and it was next to impossible to tell the difference between the experience. Except the GP32 had that wonderful (if overly clicky) stick which actually might have meant it was playing better!

Amiga!

I've been playing with UAE4ALL all morning (added a bunch of entries to the wiki) and it's so much better than I had expected! Even stuff like Hunter and F1 (aka Vroom) are perfectly playable! Compatability isn't all that high yet, but it's damn impressive.

Another thing GP2X has that GP32 doesn't is Linux. This means many more ports in the future and expanded functionality.

SD cards is really a massive bonus as well. One of the few things I didn't like about the GP32 was using SMCs.

GP32 is still a great machine though!

I missed the boat when the GP32 was released. I actually did not find out about it until much later, and when I did, I found that the maximum storage is 128MB. That totally blew it out of the water for me, as I really like to have MANY games on the card at once, and 128MB is useless to me. I went with a Zodiac because it had emulation capabilities and took larger SD cards.

Now I own the GP2X (actually, two of them!) and love the fact that it takes standard SD cards in large capacity. I currently have all of the USA TG16 games, a full Mame set, 800+ Genesis games, 400+ SMS games, some Atari ST and Amiga games, some C64, a slew of other stuff, some pictures and some ACDC tunes...all on a 2GB SD. Nice to have space! Just waiting for my 4GB to come in :)

Thanks, might keep my GP32 Blu and get a GP2x as well :)..

Is TV Out good with Emus or does it look a bit stretched?

Depends which emus are playing, but for the most part, it looks fine, as the games were designed to be played on a TV.

Amiga!

I've been playing with UAE4ALL all morning (added a bunch of entries to the wiki) and it's so much better than I had expected! Even stuff like Hunter and F1 (aka Vroom) are perfectly playable! Compatability isn't all that high yet, but it's damn impressive.

Another thing GP2X has that GP32 doesn't is Linux. This means many more ports in the future and expanded functionality.

SD cards is really a massive bonus as well. One of the few things I didn't like about the GP32 was using SMCs.

GP32 is still a great machine though!

GP32 does have Linux... that was one of the homebrew projects that took place on the GP32. I can't tell you much about it, because I never owned a GP32, but the fact remains that Linux is a commonality, not something that the GP2X has that the GP32 doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
well the PSP's N64 Emu is going quite good... something like 15FPS in Mario64 with the latest release.

Think I will get a GP2x as the TVOut feature seems fun :)

Back