What About Open2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question, perhaps it was already answered. Say I statically link all libs used in my app, will the same app binary work on both GPH and Open2X firmwares?

Megatog615 posted on Mar 28 2007 at 04:42 PM said:
Maybe I don't completely understand it, but would this allow for Linux binaries compiled for ARM9 to work on the GP2X, instead of .gpe/.gpu? If so you could technically install almost any Linux utility compiled for ARM9. Is this true?

That already works. For example, the first version of GnuBoy was a straight DebianARM package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megatog615 posted on Mar 29 2007 at 12:42 AM said:
Maybe I don't completely understand it, but would this allow for Linux binaries compiled for ARM9 to work on the GP2X, instead of .gpe/.gpu? If so you could technically install almost any Linux utility compiled for ARM9. Is this true?
As Blah said, it is possible already to run some Debian ARM binaries on the stock firmware (though less and less as they are now compiled for a later version of glibc then the official firmware has). However, Open2x should increase the number of compatible packages greatly.

Alex. posted on Mar 29 2007 at 04:20 AM said:
A question, perhaps it was already answered. Say I statically link all libs used in my app, will the same app binary work on both GPH and Open2X firmwares?
Yes.

Orkie posted on Mar 28 2007 at 03:31 PM said:
Megatog615 posted on Mar 28 2007 at 11:04 PM said:
Any thoughts on a release date?
Yes, but those thoughts have not become anything certain yet :D Basically, I'm waiting for help with two bugs then there'll be an 'early' beta version released (they basically make dynamic linking pointless right now, hence why the release is being held back for them).

Add me to the list of people awaiting even a beta release :)

I've got two SDHC cards that I'm dying to get working... reading Harry Potter and Douglas Adams' collection on the GP2X is about all I can do with the builtin memory lol

I would download the toolchain / svn et and build it myself (I've been using Linux for a while - like about 9 years) however I'm deployed to Iraq and Internet is rather limited out here with bw caps, it's slow, etc.

I don't post much, but I feel I need to say something. I would first like to show my gratitude to all those DONATING their own valuable time, in the service of advancing the GP2X and it's community. With that out of the way I will offer my opinion on the development of Open2x. There is nothing wrong with offering your own "look forward toos" and "must-have's" to a project of this scope. I'm not singling anybody out, don't get pissed or angry and fly off the cuff... but tone the level of software entitlement down a tad. Remember we should actively encourage these folks and their own effort, not barrage them with what we think must be done, or beat on another projects inherent limitations. Remember that both GMenu2x and GP2XMB are still in their infancy, expect rather important changes in both projects with time. Hell one day the same folks who believe that GMenu2x is the obvious winner over GP2XMB might change their own tune if a ton of remarkable features are integrated into it, remember the aim of GP2XMB is the eventually surpass the original on the PSP. GMenu2x is awesome too, and if your grade of usability is graded on the least clicks, your probably going to go with GMenu2x as your preference (I do at least).

I deal with Apple hardware daily, and I actually enjoy the built in packet manager/application directory layout, BUT... BUT it wouldn't suit my personal needs. Far from it, the main reason I have my GP2X to begin with is a portable system that I control... NOT Nintendo, NOT SONY, and not some other schmo that thinks he knows what I want. It's really nice being able to place files in the manner I see fit, and arrange them on their given purpose/status on MY SD card. Given that though a Packet Manger would be nice, if an option to turn off it's functionality (in a easy to program method) is present. Their are many other projects that also extend the capabilities of our GP2X's, but like many of us know many of these aren't rock solid releases of code. Bug's are dealt with around here pretty constantly but just because it might do some stuff better then good ol'e GPH's firmware versions, does NOT mean they need/should be automatically integrated into the Open2x project. We are not entitled to what we often receive in this community, these remarkable projects are gift's to all of us, so please thank them and if you can donate to these people . Just let's all give them coders a break and stop being whiny.

Rant on me if you want, I would expect criticism but just leave the coder's to their life and not make their hobby any more stressful. Thank you. By the way if you don't fall under any of the latter, don't listen to me... go about your life!

PS: Keep rockin' the Casbah, all the work is appreciated

This is really cool! I read about Open2x a while ago, but decided to dismiss it as vaporware. I've seen a lot of fan-projects go up in smoke, but this would really make the gp2x a much more viable system than it currently is, so i'm really rooting for you guys.

By the way, i'm sorry if this was already covered - i read 4 pages then skipped to 7 :D but are there improvements on SD card usage in general? I have a crappy 4gig card that stopped working in the gp2x despite working in every other SD-capable thing i have. Will Open2x address any bugs with non-high density SDs?

Keep up the good work. :D

hicksman said:
By the way, i'm sorry if this was already covered - i read 4 pages then skipped to 7 :D but are there improvements on SD card usage in general? I have a crappy 4gig card that stopped working in the gp2x despite working in every other SD-capable thing i have. Will Open2x address any bugs with non-high density SDs?
The work that has been done on the SD drivers help with some normal cards (ones that use non-standard modes) as well as the SDHC support.

There is a possibility your 4GB card falls into that category as if it is not SDHC it is non-standard by definition ;).

DJWillis said:
There is a possibility your 4GB card falls into that category as if it is not SDHC it is non-standard by definition ;).
Good enough for me! Thanks for the quick reply

Hi, keep up the good work, not to start a fight again, but with just a few programs, I really like the GP2XMB, it's eyecandy, and I don't mind it's based on the Sony interface. To steal good ideas made microsoft the #1 user OS seller.

But one thing does really annoy me in the current FW, when I remove my SD, put some files on it, and insert it again, it doesn't see my files. I have to boot again to see my files. I was planning to write a simple programs, that does something like umount the SD card, and mount it again, as I think that should do the trick. Haven't had any time to realise it yet... But my question is, does the Open2x FW support such a feature? Auto mount/umount, or otherwise a menubutton for umount/mount again? When I'm debugging, I use this very often, and everytime I have to restart my device... It's irritating....

Keep up the good work, can't wait to try it...

Blah said:
Strange... In Official FW 2.1.1 I can unplug/replug the SD and it detects the files ok.
My mistake, still using FW 2.0. Now I've got a good reason to switch :)
Gonna try it right away, thanks!

it shouldn't matter what firmware version you use, as long as no files are being used on the SD at the time, it should unmount.

Ohh that's weird... tried it many times. But now I've got firmware 2.1.1, and I'll try it as soon as I copied all my files to my SD card... Thanks for the replies though...

I only got to read this thread now and I'm very very interested in this custom firmware.
I don't mind the xmb choice since it doesn't stop users from choosing other launchers, even if personally I don't like the psp interface very much, but all free software is always very appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade whenever this firmware comes out and GMenu2X will totally support it.

To think that almost every app for the gp2x is statically compiled because of a very outdated and ugly firmware gives you an idea of how much open2x is needed.
I never had to statically compile anything until I got a gp2x...

Ryo said:
I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade whenever this firmware comes out and GMenu2X will totally support it.
Sounds good. I will use Gmenu2X forever and ever. :lol: I had tested this PSP-clone-interface, it looks nice but for me it's useless. I need a more "windowish" interface and not a Cross Media Bar.

Orkie said:
it shouldn't matter what firmware version you use, as long as no files are being used on the SD at the time, it should unmount.
I have Firmware 2.1.1 but I have this USB-problem since FW 2.0 The GP2X just dont "see" ANY via USB-connection copied file until handheld reboot, always in Gmenu2x, always in GP2XMB and sometimes with the standard Menu (where it sometimes hangs while disconnecting - so I have to make a reboot too )
Maybe it's my WinXP's fault or because I use Total Commander but it would be coll, if someone could solve this problem. Ryo tried to fix it for Gmenu2X but it never worked. There is something completely wrong with USB unmounting via WinXP...

fusion_power said:
I have Firmware 2.1.1 but I have this USB-problem since FW 2.0 The GP2X just dont "see" ANY via USB-connection copied file until handheld reboot, always in Gmenu2x, always in GP2XMB and sometimes with the standard Menu (where it sometimes hangs while disconnecting - so I have to make a reboot too )
Maybe it's my WinXP's fault or because I use Total Commander but it would be coll, if someone could solve this problem. Ryo tried to fix it for Gmenu2X but it never worked. There is something completely wrong with USB unmounting via WinXP...
I'm thinking it may be caused by the fact that the sd should be unmounted on the gp2x while using the usb link, but it cannot be done if gmenu2x is running from the sd itself... Just a guess...

Hmmm....could be a reason. I never had tested gmenu2X (and gp2xmb) from NAND, I always have it on SD because the NAND seems to be a little bit fragile I think. I should test the whole thing from NAND, it should be possible to do this with an autorun on SD (for security reasons ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back