What About First "unreal" ?

metalhammer

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I'm not writing much but reading a lot ;) !

I've been following the Pandora developement since a while, constantly using my psychic skills :ph34r: to inspire and support all those brave guys behind this great project ... from the results I'd guess they improved over time :p !

Jokes apart I'm really glad to see such an 'high' objective being reached: really well done :) !!!

For the devs: no worries, I'll keep sending you more and more power till you'll "see"
matrix-matrix-neo-smiley-emoticon-000744-large.gif

Now that I introduced myself, what about the topic title ?

Someone knows if the first Unreal Engine has been released as open source :mellow: ?

If so, is there any chance we will be able to see the first astonishing Unreal on the Pandora :D ?!

... yes, of course: I'm waiting for a Pandora as well ;) ... didn't tell you that :p ?!

Cheers ;)

It has not and it is not. Sorry.
There is a project going on to reimplement the Unreal Tournament engine as open source, but it's not the same thing.

WizardStan said:
There is a project going on to reimplement the Unreal Tournament engine as open source, but it's not the same thing.

... that's a shame :(

Let's hope that somewhere in time this will change !

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
WizardStan, do you have a link to this project?

trats20050 said:
WizardStan said:
WizardStan, do you have a link to this project?

I found it its named sureal, but it seem rather dead (or simply too far from usable) if that's the one

Kicker said:
wizboy said:

No thanks.

Yeah, it totally sucks that you'd be forced to download and play it.

Kicker said:
wizboy said:

No thanks.

... are you serious :blink: ?!

Unreal was the first game to properly use 3dfx HW acceleration and still today has pretty impressive 3D effects !

Look this at 720p and tell me it won't be nice to see it on Pandora:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26I-Pw-yPJ4

... definitely a killer application for that time ;)

lulzfish said:
Reminds me of Quake, really.

... Quake didn't take advantage of any 3D HW acceleration though :(

Unreal is a generation ahead, making use of 3DFX technology: transparencies, reflections, lens flares just to mention few (the sky is something that still today deserves respect and not so many games can afford :) ) which Quake could just dream about ;)

... of course they used different HW so you cannot directly compare their graphics.

wizboy said:
lulzfish said:

Unreal is a generation ahead, making use of 3DFX technology: transparencies, reflections, lens flares just to mention few (the sky is something that still today deserves respect and not so many games can afford :) ) which Quake could just dream about ;)

... of course they used different HW so you cannot directly compare their graphics.

Kind of remember playing both games on the same hardware and GLQuake added 3D acceleration.. but anyways.. Unreal was made over 2 years after Quake when 3D acceleration was taking big leaps. Hard to compare the two. it's like comparing Doom and Wolfenstien 3D.

The Pandora is capable of running Quake 3 at a decent speed, it's very possible to run a game that has the same level of graphics as Unreal or even the original Unreal Tournament.. It's closed source and Epic wouldn't want to waste the effort of porting the game to ARM Linux, they seemed to ditch Support of X86 linux when they decided not to release Unreal Tournament III's Linux version..

TrashyMG said:
Kind of remember playing both games on the same hardware and GLQuake added 3D acceleration.. but anyways.. Unreal was made over 2 years after Quake when 3D acceleration was taking big leaps. Hard to compare the two. it's like comparing Doom and Wolfenstien 3D.

;) indeed !

TrashyMG said:
The Pandora is capable of running Quake 3 at a decent speed, it's very possible to run a game that has the same level of graphics as Unreal or even the original Unreal Tournament..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TrashyMG said:
It's closed source and Epic wouldn't want to waste the effort of porting the game to ARM Linux, they seemed to ditch Support of X86 linux when they decided not to release Unreal Tournament III's Linux version..

:eek: ... :( ... that's the 'Real' shame :( !

wizboy said:
lulzfish said:

That was it's main problem, the hardware to properly play it really wasn't there at the time. I've gotten a copy of it via GoG, but the visuals are still pretty impressive for a game of that vintage.

Loonie said:
Kicker said:
wizboy said:

No thanks.

Yeah, it totally sucks that you'd be forced to download and play it.
:lol:

Hope is a gamble. You have to consider not only potential pay-offs, but their odds as well.

Edit: that is, I loved the first Unreal, but I rate the odds of there ever being a source release on the "none" side of slim to none, so I choose not to waste my hope-energy.

Kicker said:
Hope is a gamble. You have to consider not only potential pay-offs, but their odds as well.

Edit: that is, I loved the first Unreal, but I rate the odds of there ever being a source release on the "none" side of slim to none, so I choose not to waste my hope-energy.

... ok, I see what you mean ;) !

MDave said:
Email Epic about releasing the source for the first Unreal, see what they say.
We don't need the Sourcecode. If Epic itself would make a port for Pandora, nobody would care about Sauce. ;)
Maybe they will sell it for a few bucks but anyway, it doesn't count HOW a game comes onto the Pandora, it only count that a game comes onto the Pandora at the end. So I don't have a problem if Unreal has closed Sourcecode, of course it is still very unlikely that Epic will do a Pandora Version of Unreal :D

fusion_power said:
... of course it is still very unlikely that Epic will do a Pandora Version of Unreal :D

... that's really true :( especially when they'll see how many Pandoras are out there
24.gif
!!!

... sorry, couldn't resist :D !

Back