What Make And Model Speakers Are In Pandora?

gibberish

im just curious about how its going to sound...
until recently i wouldnt have been bothered, since i considered small speakers on gadgetry to always sound shit no matter what (case in point: acer aspire one, nintendo ds, dingoo a320, all my previous phones etc etc). but then i got my new phone (nokia 5800) and to be honest it sounds amazing... i never knew.

im just wondering what the pandora is going to sound like in comparison?

and to be honest it sounds amazing... i never knew.

im just wondering what the pandora is going to sound like in comparison?
Do you know what the secret is for the speakers on that phone? I am with you and assumed that all small devices have crap sound (I have an Aspire One too ;) ). I don't really care, I actually am in the market for some decent headphones right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to ask the Pandora devs since noone here actually has heard the speakers playing. They're supposed to be pretty good however, judging by the comments we've previously heard about them.

dflemstr posted on May 15 2009 at 03:44 PM said:
You'll have to ask the Pandora devs since noone here actually has heard the speakers playing. They're supposed to be pretty good however, judging by the comments we've previously heard about them.
Not entirely true. We can hear the speakers in action in the latest video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcnqLZC_uY#t=2m45s

The sound is awfully low, but the sound is there. I don't know if we can pass judgment just from that clip however.

cowai posted on May 15 2009 at 03:34 PM said:
Do you consider plugs?

Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro is great for the price!
I typically haven't considered plugs, last experience was with Apple Ipod ones which hurt and I hated. But those seem amazing! The price is a bit too much for me however.

My last headphones were the Bose triports. They covered my entire big ears which was great and I kind of like the 'Bose sound'. On the other hand, they are huge and unsightly.

Ah, it's good to be back at GP32X.

I'd recommend giving the Shure SE115 a try, phenomenal sound for the money.

Edit: decided to put italics on the "phenomenal" bit. If only I could make it glow and have fireworks come out of it...

senorgomez posted on May 15 2009 at 05:49 PM said:
Not entirely true. We can hear the speakers in action in the latest video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcnqLZC_uY#t=2m45s
The sound is awfully low, but the sound is there. I don't know if we can pass judgment just from that clip however.

You call that "hearing"? The sound in the video is so heavily compressed that it's very difficult to judge.

If we are talking about headphones, I'd like to reccomend the Koss PortaPros.

Bassy as fuck, if that's your thing, and cheap, about 17 quid. Life time warrenty too, and I got mine back next day.

I like them better then my SennheiserHD205s, not that they are high end either, but more expensive.

thanks for the headphone recommendations but i already have a few pairs of good headphones. I was asking about the speakers specifically, for those lazy days on the field with a crate o beer and such. The youtube videos cant really be relied upon since the quality we hear depends on the mic on the camera, distance, compression from youtube etc. I guess its a question for mweston then...

gibberish posted on May 15 2009 at 06:20 PM said:
thanks for the headphone recommendations but i already have a few pairs of good headphones. I was asking about the speakers specifically, for those lazy days on the field with a crate o beer and such. The youtube videos cant really be relied upon since the quality we hear depends on the mic on the camera, distance, compression from youtube etc. I guess its a question for mweston then...
I don't think he reads these boards very much. And much less posts in them! Hopefully he'll answer you, as I would like to know. I love the way this thread got audiophile all of a sudden though.

gibberish posted on May 15 2009 at 06:20 PM said:
I guess its a question for mweston then...
There already was a similar thread (okay, he asked on the loudness of the speakers, not exactly quality, but MWeston's answer has some info on both):

MWeston posted on Mar 28 2009 at 09:54 PM said:
Extrapolating from the datasheet and applying to the power supplied by Pandora, I get: SPL: 91dB, 0.2W/0.1M, 1Khz
The speakers aren't crazy loud, but are fairly strong. I tried a number of speakers to find one that provided a rather flat frequency response curve and a lower resonant frequency. I was hoping to get a sound that wasn't too 'tinny' and had enough midbass to make guitar notes sound full. The speakers we are using fit the bill, but they are still just tiny little speakers so its not going to be a mind blowing experience or anything.

When I am testing things, I tend to listen to music with the volume all the way up. Some louder songs are a bit much for me, but most music is fairly comfortable. The sound of reloading a gun in Quake is a little sharp and loud enough that I back the volume down a bit. Overall, I wouldn't plan on using the speakers on a noisy bus or anything like that. The volume is comparable to my PSP-1000, DS lite and even the GP2X F-100 I have here. The volume is no where near as loud as the iPhone when you have your hand cupped around the speaker hole in the right way (which amplifies the sound greatly) but that's what a million dollars of engineering resources will get you.

(naw)mcx posted on May 15 2009 at 06:53 PM said:

Bassy as fuck, if that's your thing, and cheap, about 17 quid. Life time warrenty too, and I got mine back next day.

I like them better then my SennheiserHD205s, not that they are high end either, but more expensive.
Koss Portapro sucks imho :blink:

cowai posted on May 17 2009 at 11:48 AM said:
(naw)mcx posted on May 15 2009 at 06:53 PM said:

Koss Portapro sucks imho :blink:

Lies and opinoins!

Aha, I know they ain't every one's thing, but I adore them!

Back