what about binned pandoras as next premium offer?

mrclow

Still Fresh
- Take five naked Pandoras that are ready to ship and put them in an airflow controlled environment, like a closet.

- Clock them at 720/OPP3 and run a CPU stress test application that pegs the CPU to 100% for some amount of time.

- Take temperature readings of the CPU lid with a handheld IR thermometer.

- Do some more tests with the coolest ones, put the winners aside.

Pros:

No additional unit cost

New pricing possibilities

More new premium upgraders awaiting Pandora

Repeat buyers, who ebay inferior Pandora for gold

Cons:

Extra steps, time cost

Too late in the game for this?

Too late in the game for this?
Yes. This would drive me mad. Preorderd, overtaken by prempas (premium pandoras), and finally doing cherry picking leaving the lesser units to the loyal startup community will make the openpandora team loosing it's last reputation. I would not forget such a behavior and my pocket will stay closed for future projects of the openpandora team.

It's an interesting idea but I don't think that would make big enough of a difference to warrant a different model.

The current way is more exciting. Will I get one that can overclock to 1500mhz, or will I get a get one that's not so much? It's like playing the lottery!

Seriously though, it takes enough time to ship the little guys as is. They don't need another step.

They will all do 800Mhz anyway and dare I say 1Ghz.

At what voltage? Or does that even matter with A8?

I received a snarly private message about this anyway, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all:

double7: You are far to slow... ;-) Oh, and by the way, according to ED, any pandora is doing 800+. And low temperature alone does not make a fast unit. Its an ARM CPU, which reacts in an other way to OC than x86 CPUs do. Actuall the pandora is to fast and it does make more sense to underclock it to improve the battery life above 10+ hours.

Well, if you could read ...

OPP3 = 800, some 850-870.

And wouldn't one that can do (hypothetical) 1000/OPP3 be rare and worth more then? Anyway, not a big deal, just an idea I had to drum up some money. Some good points were made against like 'no additional time to process' and 'randomness is more exciting', even fairness comes into question. Those are ideas I can understand and respect.

EDIT: Had to put hypothetical in there for the piranhas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running any hardware out-of-spec means that no one knows how long that hardware will run at that level. That's why there are specs. Hell, I'd bet if TI knew that OP were selling 'specialty' OMAP3x platforms guaranteed to run stable at 1GHz they'd what their hands of the whole operation.

Yes and hypothetically-dangerously rare indeed. I'd hypothetically be willing to pay US $1500, shipped for one.

Realistically, I'd be willing to pay an additional fee too, just how much or, personally, when I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if a worthwhile spread of differences even exists amongst the chips, was hoping someone would clarify that too.

Running any hardware out-of-spec means that no one knows how long that hardware will run at that level. That's why there are specs. Hell, I'd bet if TI knew that OP were selling 'specialty' OMAP3x platforms guaranteed to run stable at 1GHz they'd what their hands of the whole operation.

Ya, I think I'm getting the picture.

This would really make me unhappy, as others have mentioned it's simply unfair to those of us who have waited OVER 2 years (and keep getting it in the neck from the wife...)

I've found the sweet spot at 850 - Any higher, even with OPP5, and it gets errors building Firefox :cool: Although it seems ok for all other uses at higher speeds!

Back