Wesnoth For The Caanoo

3BD

Still Fresh
So, I've owned several of the open handhelds. I've preordered the Caanoo and I'm a big fan of Wesnoth. How would I go about trying to drum up support for someone to do this? Other than, of course, posting here? I'm willing to put in some money on paying for a developer to get a caanoo for just this game. Thanks,

3BD

klikklak said:
hi, seems like its your first post :)

Wesnoth would require a higher resolution screen. There's not really anything you can do about it.

it could be downscaled, but would probably make any text unreadable.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Wesnoth was ported to the iPhone and playable at 480x320. I think the Caanoo does 320x240. It's just too small?

i've been thinking about it when I got my WIZ, but with such a low resolution it wouldn't be playable :(

look at this image - its 320x240, what can you see on it??
wesnoth.png

glezmen said:
wesnoth.png

Now I'm not saying you guys aren't right, but that screenshot isn't a fair comparison. Take the iPhone version, it's got a more limited field of view. In other words, it shows fewer hexes of the map at a time. It's very playable. I do think that the text info needed to be displayed would be the real limiting factor. I just know that the iPhone version of the game is successful and thought it might be something that could work.

3BD

glezmen said:
quote]
Click on the End Turn button on the bottom right

Tho bad :(

Pickle: is the text the only problem? I thought that wouldn't be fixed resolution in any case. Mmh, live and learn.

Just to try to be helpful (and I'm curious) what substitutes are around? I'm thinking Warlords at least, Kings Bounty I suppose, are there others?

klikklak said:
Pickle: is the text the only problem? I thought that wouldn't be fixed resolution in any case. Mmh, live and learn.

Just to try to be helpful (and I'm curious) what substitutes are around? I'm thinking Warlords at least, Kings Bounty I suppose, are there others?

i suppose if the engine was refactored for 320x240 text may be ok, i meant taking a larger image (640x480) and scaling it down (basically removing lines). I did this for super mario war. It looked ok ingame except for some text since data was removed.

But say for example we took the iphone version, you would get half the screen, can everything still fit? From experience with the pandora version (800x480) i dont think i would want to play on anything smaller.

Edit: Another potential issue would be memory, can wesnoth only run on 48 mb?

klikklak said:

We could always make our own... :) That's the whole point of homebrew isn't it? To fill missing voids.

That said, King's Bounty is an incredible game I can never get tired of :)

klikklak said:

the problem is there's a MANY text on the screen - unit stats, etc, if you want all of them to be readable, there won't be enough space left for the map itself...

Kings Bounty is a five star game :)
and i'm surprised there's a Sega version of it :-o

btw, FreeHeroes is available for Wiz ;)

Alex. said:
We could always make our own... :) That's the whole point of homebrew isn't it? To fill missing voids.

That said, King's Bounty is an incredible game I can never get tired of :)

Seems like a lot of work for working around a technical problem thats overcome in a year or two. Then again, it could be ported to old phones too, so maybe there'd be someone who would like it. Not that I'm saying that someone shouldn't do it. :) I do wish python would be usable on GPH handhelds and then maybe I'd be able to do something too.

Pickle: maybe a lowres tileset could be made/asked from the wesnoth team.

I have Wesnoth working on Wiz, is a project that I have in mind...
The game works, has slowdown problems when loads too many units but is "playable".

Unfortuately I'm having some health problems and didn't have much time/energy to complete the port.

Maybe some of these days I'll retry to improve it.

On http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=72463 you have a pair of phonepictures (low quality) of the wiz with Wesnoth running.

HopeZ said:
The game works, has slowdown problems when loads too many units but is "playable".

Unfortuately I'm having some health problems and didn't have much time/energy to complete the port.

On http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=72463 you have a pair of phonepictures (low quality) of the wiz with Wesnoth running.
It's hard to tell from those pictures but the text looks readable if you were holding the Wiz in front of you. How is it in your opinion?
BTW, great work and I hope to see a release at some point in the future!

HopeZ said:

wow, it looks promising! how big are the letters? are they readable after playing for a long time?

The letters are pretty big...
Maybe like these the smaller ones (1152x864 screen here)

For me the font size is small but comfortable.

BTW is a lot of work to do: resize minimap, resize fonts/icons/menus, improve performance and memory utilization, improve controls...

HopeZ said:
The letters are pretty big...
Maybe like these the smaller ones (1152x864 screen here)

For me the font size is small but comfortable.

BTW is a lot of work to do: resize minimap, resize fonts/icons/menus, improve performance and memory utilization, improve controls...

Any chance you can release what you do have so perhaps the community can work on it? I'd love to take a crack at optimizing it.

Don't worry, if I see that I will not continue anymore I'll release it as is for sure.

Currently I'm waiting for some EXT connectors to make a WIFI dongle and a Tvout cable, after I'll take another look on it.

HopeZ said:
Don't worry, if I see that I will not continue anymore I'll release it as is for sure.

Currently I'm waiting for some EXT connectors to make a WIFI dongle and a Tvout cable, after I'll take another look on it.

Alright, glad to hear it :D

Hope your health problems get better by the way.

Back