Weird SMC problem

Shrike

now I searched and as far as I can see this problem has never come up before.
A little background might help. I've owned my gp32 for close to 2 months, maybe more and not had any problems. I've been using the same 128mb SMC for all the emus, games, moviepark etc etc. I then bought a 64mb SMC for just mp3s which I've been using a fair bit recently. The last time I used my 128mb card was on Sunday/Monday and it worked just fine.

Yesterday I was going to show someone the games on it and the batteries had cut out, I then later bought some fresh alkalines because I wanted to listen to mp3s on the bus. I got home and decided to read an e-book and the 128mb SMC wouldn't load. This was on batteries that'd been used for half an hour (ish). I tried the other 2 batteries from the pack and it didn't load, these were cheapy ones so I thought it was their fault, i charged my batteries and tried them. they didn't work. The gp32 doesn't recognise it has an smc inserted and gives all the indicators of low battery (screen washes out, lines etc)

I don't have a card reader to check it so any help will be appreciated

I have had the same problem (It's on a previous link somewhere in the Help section).

When I have swapped SMC's in my GP32 it often doesn't recognise a previously working SMC.

To my knowledge it has nothing to do with swapping batteries etc. It is to do with actually taking out your SMC from the GP32 (Can static electricity corrupt a SMC ?).

I asked in the Help Section if anyone else had had this problem and the majority of the replies was that they hadn't.

I don't know how this problem happens (My SMC card is a Viking one and was bought from Amazon UK).

It's a bit of a bummer to think that you cannot take a number of SMC's on holiday with you for films,games,mp3's etc for fear they that might not work.

I hope someone can come up with an answer to this.

Well my old smc card has always worked - partless.
Saves didn't work in doom (works on my new 128MB)
Speeded up loading performance! B)

Well, the reason to this is that teh SMC card is (very) old. It is from my old MP3 Player (from 1999) the 128MB SMC card is NEW!

I had a similar problem - I had the following stuff:

GP32
PC with SMC reader
128MB SMC
Tomak game on SMC

For many months, everything worked fine.

Lately, the 128MB card isn't recognised in the GP32, but is works fine in the PC. The Tomak game works fine in both.

I bought a new 128MB card, and it works fine in the GP32 (and fine in the PC).

Perhaps my SMC had degraded slightly for some reason, and the GP32's reading hardware is too sensitive?

Yesterday I was going to show someone the games on it and the batteries had cut out,
If this happend while the GP32 was writing something to the SMC the FAT could be damaged. This can also happen if you switch off your GP32 while it is writing.

If you have a card reader you can fix this problem by using Windows disk/error scan.

If you don't have a card reader you can try reformatting the card (through PCLink) and put on the files again. If the FAT is really damaged you might not be able to reformat it through PCLink. Then a cardreader is your only option.

This is the same problem I had, worked perfect for a while then *poof* all my data was corrupt or something. I had to reformat my smc.

Shrike I wouldn't recomend buying a card reader, card readers are great for quickly transfering data but it will not solve your problem.

I did, thinking it would but it doesn't (it WILL be your card) because you will still have to swap around your SMC card from card reader to GP32 and vice versa.

My card works fine again after I reformat it, until I start swapping it around again (I don't take it out of my GP32 when it's switched on either).

Try a different brand of SMC card.

i've tried reformating through the pclink but it doens't recognise that there is an smc in there, plus it starts overheating the batteries...I had to pull them out the second i switched it off and burned the ends of my fingers unpleasent to say the least

I have 6 cards constantly changing without any problems.
I just don't remove them while the GP32 is on.

Dust? GBA carts have the problem, and not as much as in GP32, but it has happened some 2 me. Just wipe the connectors and blow out the SMC hole?

no its not dust, my 64mb one works perfectly. It seems more like its trying to draw voltage but can't get it, maybe the batteries died during a crucial moment of SMC loading and it fried the voltage

I was really pissed today because I couldnt get my smc to work, I kept putting it in and pulling it out, and it still said that no smc could be found. I later found out that my friend was messing with it, and he put the smc in backwards. :blink:
Not only has my stupidity caused me much frustration, but low battery power is often a problem. And more than half of the stuff that has gone wrong was due to lack of experience and not trying every possible solution. So whenever you have a problem, the best thing to do is to just stop and think strait. Check your batteries, and make sure your smc is in the right direction ;) and perform the process of elimination. If all else fails, come here and rant about it and someone is bound to come by and help you.

no its not dust, my 64mb one works perfectly. It seems more like its trying to draw voltage but can't get it, maybe the batteries died during a crucial moment of SMC loading and it fried the voltage
Get another 128MB card :) If it dosen't work, it is a prob with the GP32, if it does, it is the problem with the card :) If you know which one it is, then it is easier to fix it and anyways, you get another card (you can't have enough :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back