Weird application issues...

Viral18

My Pandora has recently (well... in the last few months or so) developed an issue where it consistently freezes launching applications after the first application following booting up has been closed.

I'll launch, say, an emulator, play on it a while then decide to do anything else (including opening Thunar) and the load icon displays, but nothing runs (at that point even shutdown stops working, instead reverting to an image of the login screen, but I can't actually do anything and have to force a reset). I've tried a re-flash but it didn't help. No idea what's causing it, any ideas?

After trying to run an application that fails, check the /tmp directory for "pnd_runsomething..." files. Those are logs of the application and may give hints as to why it didn't work.

Well the application will run fine when launched for the first time in a fresh boot. It's just that when it's closed nothing else will load, which also means I can't access the /tmp to check for problems.

I don't understand what it not launching has to do with not being able to check /tmp. If something doesn't launch, there should be a log file in /tmp to tell you why.

I don't understand what it not launching has to do with not being able to check /tmp. If something doesn't launch, there should be a log file in /tmp to tell you why.

Yes, but at that stage I can't even locate /tmp because no menu or desktop icons work at all to be able to navigate to it. Upon force reset nothing unusual shows up in /tmp.

i seemed to have this issue twice, you can not even open the menu, only desktop icons work (not really sure). Off the top of my head, seems related to high cpu usage crashing the system somehow.

Desktop icons don't work for me at that stage, and I doubt it's related to high CPU usage, the behavior consistently happens regardless of clock setting, or application last launched.

not a desperate measure, but when i had this, my pandora icon disappeared, shift was not dragging window. Reflashing solved the issues

Glad it worked for you, but I've tried a re-flash to no success. I have a feeling the behavior may have started on the release of HF5, but I can't be sure.

Is there an older firmware image anywhere? The main support page only has the HF5 image.

I have no idea. I've never had the need to find it. I know there are still a few people who prefer to stick with hotfix 4. Why don't you PM Ed? I'm sure someone has a backup somewhere... You could always start a thread asking if anyone has it. :)

Okay, reverted to HF4 firmware and it seems to work fine. I will miss some of the improvements of HF5 though. Ah well, I can wait until the next updates are about.

Thanks for all the help :D

Back