Was the pandora developed with the dreamcast in mind?

Dionysus

Still Fresh
Ive just been reading about how the pandora will only emulate the dc because it is similar hardware. That seems quite a coincidance. And when it does emulate the dc that will be its major selling point.

Who knows. Craig, ED, wanna say something bout this?

Either way. I would kill for some Shenmue... and so would my girlfriend... --- especially --- my girlfriend.

It's not really that similar. Other than the fact they're both computers, both have CPUs and GPUs, and both use RISC CPUs (though the SH-4 and A8 are pretty different still), they're completely different. AIUI the guys from OPT just wanted a powerful handheld gaming console, and the A8 was new (and a significant step up from previous ARM processors), so really it's just coincidence that it appears to be just about powerful enough to run most Dreamcast games.

Ive just been reading about how the pandora will only emulate the dc because it is similar hardware. That seems quite a coincidance. And when it does emulate the dc that will be its major selling point.
I can't say I've ever heard of this. Where did you read this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard this but someone on the forums is waiting to get their pandora to start work on dc emulation.

I think the only coincidence is the fact that PowerVR developed the graphics chipset (VR2 based iirc), after this they moved away from desktop GPUs to specifically concentrate on mobile (hence SGX etc) which happen to be the CPU of choice in OMAP 3xxx series amongst other things. I don't think the Pandora was designed with a specific console emulation/virtualisation in mind.

I think the only coincidence is the fact that PowerVR developed the graphics chipset (VR2 based iirc), after this they moved away from desktop GPUs to specifically concentrate on mobile (hence SGX etc) which happen to be the CPU of choice in OMAP 3xxx series amongst other things. I don't think the Pandora was designed with a specific console emulation/virtualisation in mind.
I think this pretty much nails it. :)

I don't think ED, Craig or Michael developed this with the expectation that it would do DC emulation. They were surprised when Drk posted that he had made any sort of progress with it. The fact that they share GPU manufacturers is incidental. They probably just thought N64 and stuff like Quake 3 was the tippy top.

It was just designed like a good controller for portable gaming, something that no other company seemed to be capable of doing.

Cool. With the dreamcast being a console with such a thriving community particularly in the uk for so long after sega stopped supporting it its cool that the uk made pandora will be able to play its software. Once the DC emulation is up and running I think the pandora scene may explode beyond all recognition considering how big the community was for a console that could barely emulate the snes.

Even if commercial games don't work, it'll be a great way to play homebrew that doesn't justify burning a disc. (It's a major pain in the ass to burn multiple homebrew games to one disc.)

I long for DC emulation. I must have kept all those DC games around for some reason. I'd be happy with Sonic Adventure, Powerstone and Shenmue ( 1 and 2 ) running. Argh, but there's so much more!

Unless drkIIRaziel (the guy working on this) has changed his mind, Games requiring WinCe won't be supported. Here's a list of those games I pulled from the other forum:

4x4 Evolution

Apricot (T37910M)

Armada (T40301N 00)

Atari Anniversary Edition (T15130N)

Caesars Palace 2000 (T-12504N)

Championship Surfer (T41403N)

Densha de Go 2 (jp)

Ducati World (T-8113N)

Get!! Colonies (jp)

Hidden and Dangerous (T-40502-N)

Hundred Swords (HDR-0124)

Jimmy Whites Snooker 2 (eu)

KISS Psycho Circus (T41901N)

Kitahei Gold (T39801M)

Maximum Pool

Midway''s Greatest Arcade Hits Vol. 1 (T-9713N)

Midway''s Greatest Arcade Hits Vol. 2 (T-9714N)

Miss Moonlight (T18702M)

NFL Quarterback Club 2001 (T-8115N)

Nightmare Creatures II (T9504M)

Puzzle Bobble 4 (aka Bust-A-Move 4

Railroad Tycoon II (T41902N)

Rainbow Six (T40401N)

Resident Evil 2 (T7004D 50)

Rogue Spear|Tom Clancy''s Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear

Rune Jade (T14304M)

Sega Rally 2 (MK-5101950, HDR0010)

South Park: Chefs Luv Shack

Space Griffon|Space Griffon VF-9 (T39601M) (jp)

Space Griffon|Space Griffon Blue Steel: Variable Formula (jp)

Spirit of Speed 1937

Starlancer

Super Producers (T14303M)

Super Robot Wars Alpha (jp)

Super Runabout (T22101M)

Super Runabout|Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition

Tom Clancy''s Rainbow Six

Tomb Raider Chronicles (T36815D05)

Tomb Raider The Last Revelation (T-36806N, T36804D05)

Virtua Cop 2

White Illumination (T14301M)

Who Wants To Beat Up A Millionaire

Wild Metal (T40501D-50)

World Neverland 2|World Neverland 2 Plus: The Waktic Republic of Pluto (jp)

World Neverland Plus|World Neverland Plus: The Olerud Kingdom Stories (jp)

Worms Armageddon

Worms World Party

Yuki Gatari (T37909M)

Last I heard full speed DC was a long way off if possible at all but the work he's been doing on android looks very promising. You can follow him here:

http://drk.emudev.org/blog/

I can't wait till that man get's a Pandora!

Back