Wargus

Kyran

Still Fresh
Hey there GP32X Land!

I'm one of the current maintainers of Wargus, and was wondering if there was any interest in a Wargus port for the Caanoo. My own Caanoo arrived a few days ago (I was holding for a Pandora since 2008, but I caved in), and today while working on continuing to improve Wargus' support of various resolutions decided to begin implementing 320x240.

There already exist unofficial ports for both the GP2X and Pandora, would there be a market for an updated (and more offical) port?

I suspect that the answer would be a resounding YES.

and please, don't forget wiz support.

Kyran said:
Hey there GP32X Land!

I'm one of the current maintainers of Wargus, and was wondering if there was any interest in a Wargus port for the Caanoo. My own Caanoo arrived a few days ago (I was holding for a Pandora since 2008, but I caved in), and today while working on continuing to improve Wargus' support of various resolutions decided to begin implementing 320x240.

There already exist unofficial ports for both the GP2X and Pandora, would there be a market for an updated (and more offical) port?

Hi Kyran, first glad to hear that someone is working on wargus. Added support for 320x240 wuold be a very welcome change. I assume you will scale all bitmaps down? That would be a very welcome feature as the gp2x port required the user to modify original data before it could even be run.

I did the pandora port, I never released it in PND format yet. I was hoping to get stargus to start, but i couldnt get past the menu (even on the pc it wouldnt work). There was one hack for the pandora we need, the way X and SDL interface theres an issue with the touchscreen, so some custom code is needed to keep the cursor sane.

I would be willing to continue to support the pandora wargus version.

Edit: is see in your pics you have opengl es, how far is this supported? If complete this would definitely be a reason to update the pandor port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes please, I've tried the GP2X port but it needs sound. A Caanoo verion with a sound fix would be awsome.

Also, could you include a Wiz version? Unfortunately, Wargus doesn't work with Ginge.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Wiz forum, it seems that one is more popular.

Pickle said:
I assume you will scale all bitmaps down? That would be a very welcome feature as the gp2x port required the user to modify original data before it could even be run.

I'm certainly not going to follow the GP2X route and resize each image. That would kill network support with other releases. I'm planning to keep the menu graphics at the same size and just optimize all the elements for 320x240. Outside of menus... we'll see. Hopefully I'll be able to get the engine to do the scaling. Maybe it wont be so bad with full sized graphics. :D

If I take this on I'll also create an easier AI, which doesn't give concurrent commands.

Pickle said:
I was hoping to get stargus to start, but i couldnt get past the menu (even on the pc it wouldnt work).

The current trunk - 2.2.5.5 - works fine on PC. https://launchpad.net/stargus

Pickle said:
There was one hack for the pandora we need, the way X and SDL interface theres an issue with the touchscreen, so some custom code is needed to keep the cursor sane.

There is an offical port for Maemo 5, so it's possible that the issue your having has already been fixed in the lastest trunk.

Pickle said:
Edit: is see in your pics you have opengl es, how far is this supported? If complete this would definitely be a reason to update the pandor port.

It's been implemented, though some people have reported that it runs slower with it enabled.

Kyran said:
I'm one of the current maintainers of Wargus, and was wondering if there was any interest in a Wargus por............

YES!

Kyran said:
Maybe I should have posted this in the Wiz forum, it seems that one is more popular.

Ew no... they like buttons that look like D-pads. :wacko:

The Caanoo is the newer system, develop for it first and the community will grow. :)

Kyran,

I built and extracted data with all of the launchpad source for stratagus, wargus, and stargus. Wargus works great, opengles does not (probably issues we have with SDL and EGL, in other words i dont think its a problem with stratagus)
Although stargus still only gets to the menu, if I start a scenario I always gets errors the maps scp file can be found in /maps. I had these problems with my previous build.
I have all data in a folder called data, so the full path is data/sc1/
I run as stratagus -d data/sc1

Edit:

Ok its seems the game doesnt take into account the data dir, moving maps folder next to the bin gets rid of that error, although the game now crashes.

Pickle said:
Ok its seems the game doesnt take into account the data dir, moving maps folder next to the bin gets rid of that error, although the game now crashes.

If you run it through a terminal does it give an error message? You could try having the maps in both locations in case something is trying to access the maps at the correct location.

I've attached some pictures for everyone else. :) Don't worry too much about the ingame one, it's still a work in progress.

Kyran said:
Pickle said:

If you run it through a terminal does it give an error message? You could try having the maps in both locations in case something is trying to access the maps at the correct location.

Im past the files cant be found errors, now i just get a killed message just about when its about to go into gameplay.

Orion4874 said:
Any news about this? Kyran said that another dev from these forums took this project over.
I took contact with Kyran a while ago. I took his info/work ... and gone nowhere (not that I havent tried)... sorry 'bout that.

Orion4874 said:
That's cool, are you stuck or just lost interest? Maybe Kyran could take it back over or help you?

The downside with that idea is that I too got stuck and lost interest. :D

On a side note, if anyone plays Stratagus feel free to check out our new Stratagus community. We've even got a completely unused porting forum. :)

I'm hoping to get some multiplayer matches going.

Back