Wanted: Toshiba Libretto Port Replicator

otherguy66

Still Fresh
I bought a Libretto 100ct before christmas that I found in a local shop for £10!

The first hurdle was getting a power supply for it, since this one didn't include any. A bit of Ebay snooping, and I now have the charger and the machine boots up just fine. I then discovered that the BIOS is passworded, and it can't be reset easily since the machine uses a security chip.

Apparently, the security can be bypassed by making a dongle for the printer port, but I also don't have the port replicator (hence asking).

If anyone here could help, it would be massively appreciated. I know this place has quite a few Libretto fans from the old thread on here.

:)

otherguy66 said:
I bought a Libretto 100ct before christmas that I found in a local shop for £10!

The first hurdle was getting a power supply for it, since this one didn't include any. A bit of Ebay snooping, and I now have the charger and the machine boots up just fine. I then discovered that the BIOS is passworded, and it can't be reset easily since the machine uses a security chip.

Apparently, the security can be bypassed by making a dongle for the printer port, but I also don't have the port replicator (hence asking).

If anyone here could help, it would be massively appreciated. I know this place has quite a few Libretto fans from the old thread on here.

:)
Hi! I have recently bought a Toshiba Satellite 2100 laptop for $12 CAD. It's a miracle that my battery still works. I'm working on getting my PCMCIA ethernet adapter working and getting it online... but I need to find a working floppy disk or my old hard drive enclosure.

You're supposed to be able to wipe the BIOS password by removing the CMOS battery (about the size of a regular button cell) and putting it back in. This deletes the data on the CMOS chip, thus deleting your password.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a spare mini port replicator for a 50CT, but I don't think it'll fit the 100CT. You might want to do more homework than I did though (google image search, basically.) If you think it's going to help, let me know.

It's the one at bottom left here: http://computermuseum.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/toshiba_libretto_50ct.jpg

I don't need it because I have the full dock, also pictured.

Thanks Gruso, I'll look into that some more. :)

I tried plugging the CMOS battery in and out, but it didn't fix anything (other than I don't think the LCD cable is sitting quite right now and the screen is flickering slightly).

Just a thought... did you make sure take the CMOS battery out while the main battery was also disconnected. Could perhaps be possible that the main battery keeps power to the CMOS?

Pleng said:
Just a thought... did you make sure take the CMOS battery out while the main battery was also disconnected. Could perhaps be possible that the main battery keeps power to the CMOS?
Also, try holding the power button while both batteries and AC adapter are disconnected, and leave it alone for a while.

I read somewhere (a few years ago) that you'd have to short out the CMOS unit... but I'd use that as a last resort.

I kind of broke the ribbon cable receptacle on my old laptop by forcing it to open when it was already open, but I taped it down.

Pleng said:

Yeah, the battery was out when the case was opened and everything.

I should point out that this machine was apparently sitting for years, unused.

Back