Want An Gp2x

Dennis1989

Still Fresh
Hello all,

Im new to this forum so first HELLO ALL. :D
Now i really want this GP2X because i want to play DivX movies portable and with a PSP you need to convert all that shit i know MPEG isn't compatible YET.. Now my questions:

-Is the framerate and bitrate of the DivX the same as on the PC? In other words is it just playing just as fast as on the pc only its smaller a screen?

-I know it has an USB port.. Does an external USB mouse works on it because i can't play LucasAdventures with a analog stick i hate that...

-I know there are power adapters for the GP2X, so why is everyone complaining about the power you can play while the adapter is connected to the GP2X and electricity?

Thats all for now.

Greetz,

Dennis

-divx/xvid movies play the same as on pc aslong as the sd card is fast enough (i havent had a problem yet on a normal speed card)

-you can use a mouse if its supported if you use a usb hub/breakout board, plugged into the ext port at the bottom

-you can use adapters, but if using batterys (what lots of people use) low mah batterys will run out fast (2 hours on 1300mah bats)

I've got a Sandisk Ultra II 2gig card, and it's not so "ultra". On some high res videos I get out of sync sound, and there's some dropped frames. It's probably the card, though.

I've never tried hooking up a mouse. I'm waiting for the non-developer version of the breakout board.

I have 12 name-brand 2000mah NiMH or better batteries. ;p Battery life is pretty good (4-5 hours per set, usually), and I never have to plug it in. I've always got some ready to go.

P.S. Get a USB 2.0 card reader.

it's not a problem to get good batteries these days though. I use 2500 mAh rechargables and they work really good and provide me with 4-5 hours of gameplay with overclocking. Also if you are going to get a power adapter, just use the one made by GPH and order that with your gp2x. It`s nice and small and you don't need to fiddle around with multiple voltage adapters.

Dennis1989 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
-I know it has an USB port.. Does an external USB mouse works on it because i can't play LucasAdventures with a analog stick i hate that...
Welcomei dennis..
I think the joystick is actualy digital & not analogue. Not too sure if this will work well for that game or not, as I havn't had a chance to try it out yet.

I showed a playing video on mine, through the tv to my brother in law. He's a complete film addict & even though he despise's anything to do with Linux, he actualy commented that it was better than running through his top of the range laptop.
You don't tend to get the slowdown or stuttering that you do when watching from a hard drived computer (even a very good one).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk posted on Aug 7 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
Dennis1989 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
Welcomei dennis..
I think the joystick is actualy digital & not analogue. Not too sure if this will work well for that game or not, as I havn't had a chance to try it out yet.

I showed a playing video on mine, through the tv to my brother in law. He's a complete film addict & even though he despise's anything to do with Linux, he actualy commented that it was better than running through his top of the range laptop.
You don't tend to get the slowdown or stuttering that you do when watching from a hard drived computer (even a very good one).
What software is he using?? I hardly see a slow down on an 800mhz Duron with 256MB of 200mhz DDR(it is in an nforce2 mobo, but it is a cheapo WD Hard drive). On XP Pro SP2. I don't use Media Player (that I can help, DAMN Newer WMV's I have run into about 4 in the last two years. Quicktime needs to be shown the boot, but its rootkit tactics are hard to kill.

Use mplayer classic with the Klite mega codec pack, turn off every bit of superflous memory-and-resource hogging crap (HINT they live next to the date in the bottom right corner, everything there must die)

I am betting he is doing something stupid (like scaling to a ridiculous 1200x1024 pixels or something, without hardware acceleration, STUPID), things that will slow down video play are also using all your RAM and playing the video with the pagefile swapping crap all the time.

Hmm, top of the range laptop eh? Unless using a Geforce6 series or better you don't get proper acceleration, support is pure crap from everyone but Nvidia (HINT VIA and ATI), triple crap in a laptop. The newer ATI is getting better, but I hope he didn't pay $5,000 for the laptop.

If he despises Linux, it is a good chance he has no clue how to properly utilize resources in Windows, I succesfully used the internet on a 486 with 16mb of RAM for several months. I have run years on a 800mhz Duron (not lately, just waiting for parts to my 939 in the mail, that is why I am on the trusty Duron again).

Just some facts to be aware of, it is truth.

Back on topic, to the original poster:

Usb Mouse, I have used one, you will have to make your own or buy (shudder) the official BoB (HIGHLY not recommended, it is $75 total because they make you purchase another official PSU for the Hub, a $25 12volt PSU for a 5volt USB hub? I am not the only one who thinks that is stupid. Plus it isn't really portable in any sense of the word, there is no case, bare board only, and even for next to my TV it is the lamest design I ever saw.)

I made my own easily, schematics on the Wiki in my Sig. They say the capacitors needn't be the exact value, but they must be the little ceramic-style ones, get some from Radio Shack.

I used it on X11, GPE (on X11) and Qtopia, I am unsure if any other programs have support yet.

PM or email the author of the program you wish to use, and read the readme.txt, they will tell you about the USB mouse support status.

LordFu posted on Aug 7 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
I've got a Sandisk Ultra II 2gig card, and it's not so "ultra".
I have 12 name-brand 2000mah NiMH or better batteries. ;p Battery life is pretty good (4-5 hours per set, usually), and I never have to plug it in. I've always got some ready to go.

lol. btw, i get nowhere close to 4-5 hours and i'm using 2400's. maybe it's the constant overclocking.

Welcome to the community! :)

Video playback's very nice. I don't know what framerates it averages, but I'm very happy with it. Remember, it can only get better with more firmware upgrades.

The joystick is digital, which is much better for emulation than an analog stick. Playing SCUMM games really isn't that bad with the joystick. I played through a good bit of Full Throttle on it. My complaint is that SCUMM's a little unstable on my GP2X (some people say it runs fine for them).

I have no complaints about battery life. I use 15 minute rechargeables, and I have two sets. So the gaming never ends!

Ok thanks for all the reactions..
I now know that the video part is good..
Now for the mouse part.. i need a USB hub. Are these things expensive? And which brand/type should i take?

Samba Pa Ti posted on Aug 8 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
usb hubs are cheap £/€/$ 10
to use any powered devices you need a 'Powered hub' and a Ext port > Usb cable (proberbly need to make one)

whoo whoo whoo you are going kinda to fast for me.. so i need a hub.. but that hub needs power? cant i just put it in electricity port

Samba Pa Ti posted on Aug 8 2006 at 11:31 PM said:
its backwards compatible with usb1 and it runs from a wall socket (doesnt need recharging)

hmm k thanks!

Back