Wallpapers And Other Graphics Wanted!

I edited Trevswebs cat, see here:

k9l7d.jpg

foxblock said:
Meh, imo that's just too much editing applied, you know the editing has to be mostly subtle (I am aware of the fact that the "original" image was not really the original one, but already edited).
The original image was indeed to blurry and grey-ish, but these have a too high contrast value and the colours also look unnatural (and imo the sharpener only makes it worse, the image actually looked better before).
Yeah I know, I just wanted to show the difference when you use the default settings.
The settings can be lowered etc. and you can tweak the contrast and colours after you get the level of sharpening that you want.
That was probably the wrong photo to show it on in all honesty :)

Last edited by a moderator:
(naw)mcx said:
borgqueenx said:
does a usb camera exists? not a webcam, just a small camera stick thingy i plug into my pandora.

Yeah, I think it's called a webcam.

Oh, wait.
searching for usb webcams or usb camera's online wont do anything good. i only get webcams with a cable. and when i search wireless webcam its a webcam i need to place somewhere, with radio signals between it.

borgqueenx said:
naa i dont like making photos that much il buy a camera for it. but if a next gen iphone got 5MP, its always a bit better.

No it won't!! Seriously, the amount of pixels is by all means NO indicator of image quality, never! There are size of CCD chp (or whatever tech is used), size of lens, etc.
Never buy a camera because it has a million pixels more than another...
(my DSLR has 6MP and it makes far better pictures than any 10MP phone camera)

Anyway, here is my attempt on the previously mentioned photo:
img2115jpg.png

Keep in mind, that#s just a 10-minute work, but without auto functions (just some manual levels and curves adjusting and some colour editing).
Edit: On a second look, I slightly overdid it myself, but well no time for finetuning...
But you can't make the pretty out of the beast, the image quality remains imperfect (though it's not that extreme as the comparison I used ;) ).

As the demand for photo wallpapers seems pretty high, I will go ahead and resize some of my own work...

foxblock out

borgqueenx said:
does a usb camera exists? not a webcam, just a small camera stick thingy i plug into my pandora.
Yes
They typically run about $80-$100, and may use proprietary drivers that won't run in Linux (or on ARM, at least). I'm sure people will start seriously investigating this once they've got their Pandora.
If you want to get started investigating, I just did a google search for "high definition usb camera"

WizardStan said:
borgqueenx said:
Yes
They typically run about $80-$100, and may use proprietary drivers that won't run in Linux (or on ARM, at least). I'm sure people will start seriously investigating this once they've got their Pandora.
If you want to get started investigating, I just did a google search for "high definition usb camera"
microsoft prices. digital zoom and 1,3 megapixel for 80 dollar...wow.
I search something of like 60 dollar, and with 3 megapixel at least.

i'l search, thanks. :)

foxblock said:
As the demand for photo wallpapers seems pretty high, I will go ahead and resize some of my own work...

Is it the demand to have some, or are we demanding on foisting them on an unwilling public? LOL.

I think it'd be great if we could have some community wallpapers that represent the world - visibly, recogniseably. Pyramids and such from egypt, the grand or Bryce canyons, eiffel tower, so on and so forth - something typical or representative of as many countries as possible. I've put up a couple of English/London icons, maybe I can dig out a photo or two from France, but how about everywhere else? What will be a recongiseanle feature of YOUR part of the world - and can you take a "good" photo of it "for the cause"?

Monk said:
foxblock said:

Is it the demand to have some, or are we demanding on foisting them on an unwilling public? LOL.

I think it'd be great if we could have some community wallpapers that represent the world - visibly, recogniseably. Pyramids and such from egypt, the grand or Bryce canyons, eiffel tower, so on and so forth - something typical or representative of as many countries as possible. I've put up a couple of English/London icons, maybe I can dig out a photo or two from France, but how about everywhere else? What will be a recongiseanle feature of YOUR part of the world - and can you take a "good" photo of it "for the cause"?

I've got some decent Niagara Falls ones.

(the colours are really harsh because I edited it on my EEE701 which has a REALLY dull screen(bright backlight, though :s))

6f1l74.jpg

(naw)mcx said:
I've got some decent Niagara Falls ones.

(the colours are really harsh because I edited it on my EEE701 which has a REALLY dull screen(bright backlight, though :s))

borgqueenx said:
We have windmills, cheese and roses. Nothing special.

Umm... lots of people like roses, lots of people like windmills though good ones (not these ones that look like they were cobbled together from crashed gliders) are comparatively rare in many countries. And cheese - well, both Wallace and Grommit are fine examples of cheese lovers. They CAN make for an engaging photograph!

Excellent! Looks like we're off to a flying start - windmills, roses, cheese and a darned big waterfall - all great subjects I'd have thunked! Anyone live near a wildlife sancturary? big Cats and birds always go down well IMHO.

Monk said:
Anyone live near a wildlife sancturary? big Cats and birds always go down well IMHO.
I live in Sweden, that's basically one big wildlife sanctuary for you right there (9,325,429 inhabitants on 173,745 sq mi... I mean come on)

No cats or big birds in my vicinity however, I'm afraid, and those bastards are generally difficult to take a picture of anyways unless you have days to spend on observing them (because what are the chances of a bird spontaneously landing right in front of your camera... yeah).

@Naw
Ideal, the colors don't look harsh, just vibrant, and BEAUTIFUL! Nice work.

Jourdy288 said:
@Naw
Be careful with the word ideal...

Nice shots though especially the sky in contras with the reflected water, but I'd have liked more contrast in the darker areas at the trees (difficult to accomplish without HDR) and some less noise (birds or whatever that is).

Yeah, I'm a perfectionist.

dflemstr said:
Jourdy288 said:
@Naw
Be careful with the word ideal...

Nice shots though especially the sky in contras with the reflected water, but I'd have liked more contrast in the darker areas at the trees (difficult to accomplish without HDR) and some less noise (birds or whatever that is).

Yeah, I'm a perfectionist.

Yeah the camera I had to use makes more noise then RedSK..

Yet another take on BorgqueenX's fossil photo:

e6q7n5.jpg

(A bit of sharpening, a bit of desaturation, a bump in the red channel)

Back