Wait? Or Not?

Exophase said:
They already announced a price. Wouldn't it be stupid to announce a price that you deliberately have no intention of keeping? We don't know the component costs, they do. If you somehow knew that the announced price would be guaranteeing them to low of a profit then that'd be another story, but you don't.
IIRC all official price announcements have been qualified with "about" or "around". That seems to imply they want a little wriggle room and that not all costs are known yet - as far as I can tell, the casing hasn't been finalised, nor has the battery. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time a project's come in a bit over budget.

Just pointless speculation at this point of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
@ Quasist: I don't really understand what your post is saying.
I'm assuming he's saying that he knows the profit craig is going to make. How, I don't know, unless he's in the insider circle of course...

fishybawb said:
IIRC all official price announcements have been qualified with "about" or "around". That seems to imply they want a little wriggle room and that not all costs are known yet - as far as I can tell, the casing hasn't been finalised, nor has the battery. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time a project's come in a bit over budget.

Just pointless speculation at this point of course.
Yup, and this is confirmed by the posts such as "Would you prefer a longer runtime or a cheaper battery?" and such like. The original estimation was exactly that, an estimation of the price at that time. We should expect it to cost more now.

quasist said:
Gruso said:
@ Quasist: I don't really understand what your post is saying.
Just look at theese two jpg's that esotericaly means what pandora is going to end like

http://pandora.bluwiki.org/go/Image:Fluffy16.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gizmondo_Handheld.jpg

See through photoshoped overlay of heretic II and some descent 3d modeling

Quasist has so spoken

Stop trolling. Your insistence that the Pandora will fail miserably or will simply be a product created by Craig and Co. to line their own pockets is disgusting.

Also, please read before you post such crap. That was never stated to be an actual device. The Pandora "pictures" that you see are simply renders created by Craig and Co. to show us, the community, their design. Actually, that one was a modified render made by a community member.

Hmm. I got the impression it was some sort of trolling effort, but didn't want to have a go a someone just because English is their second language. Pot stirrer duly ignored!

Gruso said:
Our dollar is strong against the US at the moment so I'm expecting a price of $350 AUD. Add anything from $20 to $50 for postage from overseas, and you're still in value country. :)
Yeah it is very strong, 94 cents to be exact which makes getting American products not that much more costly. I just hope I can trust Play-Asia (which will probably be the supplier for Asia-Pacific) to ship it to me correctly.

Josheh said:
How much more is it going to be? "In Aus $ or USA i'll convert? How sure are they of a release in the next month or two like stated?? Are they even going to have a place for us Australian's to buy???
Another Australian? Wow. I think there's enough Aussies here to hold a miniature online riot if we can't get our hands on a Pandora. ;)

I have a GP2X f-100 and I've been watching the Pandora forums here a month or so now. The pandora is looking like it will be many times better, it's really just a miniature laptop with beefed up gaming hardware. Even has a powered usb port. The only issue is it's not x86 compatible so programs will need to be ported, but many linux programs will likely port with little trouble. If you don't like tinkering and trying (buggy) beta software then you're probably in for a few extra months wait for the pandora after it's released.

The Gp2x is frankly quite limited. The only advantage is it's been around ages and has a bucketload of games for it. It's not particularly usefull for things other than games thoguh and they're primarily 2d games(or emulators) too. Not much 3d support. Although the touch screen was only added a year or two back, so it's still got some life left in it I guess.

Thanks for all the replies, It's going to be a hard decision, Although I could pick up a GP2X F-200 off Play-Asia for around 190, Buy a SD Card "$25 which is $215, and then get myself a decent set of batteries with a charger - $35 - $50 And it's still around that budget of mine which is $250....

I only want this thing for MP3's "Not music, Like Audio Stories", Playing my old Roms, And the occasional E-BOOK.

And if i did buy it now, it gives me like 3 - 4 pays before the Pandora will be released which means i can put money away...

Now the question is, Is it worth me buying the GP2X F-200, using it to my potential until I'm happy with the release of the Pandora and then forking out 300 - 400 on that?

Keep in mind I won't buy the Pandora as soon as it's released, I'd wait for Reviews and everything first too make sure it's not going to be a flop or not.

Now what do you guys think? I seriously want to play my older games and listen too Audio Books, And I'd rather buy this than an IPOD for the same value, as this does more for me.

Keeping in mind, if i didn't get this I'd be buying a MP3 Player "Not IPOD"

I love this community, everybody's so nice, Is it because we all love retro games? haha

EDIT: Another quick question: Would this SD Card work with the GP2X F-200 and maybe the Pandora? SanDisk SD Card 2GB

product78thumbvr4.jpg

Best Regards,
Josh.

Gruso said:
I won't rehash what everyone else said - there are good reasons to buy a GP2X now but there's a strong case for waiting, too. Especially if your budget only allows for one or the other.

Here's what I've laid out so far on my GP2X F200. I'm in Australia.

GP2X $229
Carry case $29
AC Adaptor $29
2x 2GB SD Card $50 (25ea)
4 batteries & charger $70

Total $407 AUD. (I could have done it cheaper but I went for quality, especially with the batteries).

There will be no silly battery & charger purchase necessary for Pandora. Unconfirmed chatter seems to be that it will come with a TV out cable, something that would cost me further $18 for the GP2X. With all its power and potential, Pandora is looking like mighty good value.

Our dollar is strong against the US at the moment so I'm expecting a price of $350 AUD. Add anything from $20 to $50 for postage from overseas, and you're still in value country. :)
This is considering that you don't have batteries which you might. Consider this though. If you want to use Pandora as a console that hooks up to your TV and acts as a portable emulation machine that supports 2 or more players, the GP2X is going to cost you some serious loot because you'll have to buy a cradle and a power adapter also and you still wont get SNES (not supported ATM and might never be). If this is important then you are probably better off waiting.

Yeah, Us Aussies are everywhere :D

Nah mate, I don't have the batteries or charger yet, And i don't want a carry case, I do want the SD Card, and i guess if i can get 6 hours out of 2 batteries, i can just charge 2 and have them ready for when these 2 go flat, so the AC Adapter is useless for me. So all I'd want is this:

GP2X - $190, Play-Asia
2GB Sd Card $22
And 4 batteries and the charger, Which range in prices.

Also, Frog was that guys quote and then what you said about me??

By the way, hat do you mean i won't get SNES????? I thought every if not all Emulators for older systems where supported for the GP2X?

Of course SNES was going to be important "Shocked"

Josheh - Sandisk cards are good, I use 2 of them. Search for the best prices on staticice.com.au. I could have done better with my prices, but didn't have a credit card at the time.

My advice though, get a cheap MP3 player and wait for Pandora. My least favourite aspect of the GP2X is its music player. No keylock + clunky seeking make it unpleasant (I haven't tried any of the homebrew media players yet, maybe I should). I'm not shitting on the GP2X, I love it, but the music player is my least used function.

Re: SNES, I haven't had 100% success with it, I assumed I just had to nail the right version & settings but I could be wrong.

oh okay, just i thought i saw a good Snes one on youtube, oh well....

Thanks, Sandisk will be good then.

And i don't want it for actual music, i want it for audio books, books that instead of reading it reads it too you. Not actual music music.

Thanks!

There is a store in Australia that I'd suggest you buy from rather than Play-Asia.

gp2x.net.au

I bought my F200 from there and it was great service and it was sent out straight away after I paid.

JakeK said:
There is a store in Australia that I'd suggest you buy from rather than Play-Asia.

gp2x.net.au

I bought my F200 from there and it was great service and it was sent out straight away after I paid.
Was thinking of that mate, but it's like $30 - $40 more expensive from them than it is from Play-Asia.

Hey, I'm randomly looking up PSX emulators for the GP2X on youtube, and most video's on it are from 1 year ago, has the emulator been revamped of late? does stuff like GTA run on it smoother? I found a video with mortal kombat running full speed on it!

javaJake said:
Well, let me help you get an idea. Think about how much more power and functionality the Pandora has vs. the PSP or any other so-called "advanced" handheld currently out. Now compare the prices. The PSP costs $200, 2/3 of the Pandora's price, and can barely do what the Pandora will do. The GP2X simply does not stack up at all in any function. The Pandora has much more value over anything out there. You just can't get a more advanced handheld, in my opinion.

Is that worth the wait? The measly $320? I think so. :)
The thing with comparing it with the Pandora is that you have to compare it with the plusses of the PSP as well instead of only focusing on the Pandora (to be expected because it is this forum, and same to be expected if asked on a PSP forum, but still...). PSP is $170 on Amazon.com, so, factoring a probable (hopefully not) price increase of Pandora, PSP is about half the cost of the Pandora. Now look at it from the point of view of others not already sold on the device (a.k.a. people not on these forums). What does/will the Pandora do that the PSP cannot? Emulation is a big selling point, and the Pandora's big emulator seems like it will be PSX (which is OLD news on the PSP and is already perfect). So, for something that costs about twice as much as a PSP, as far as emulation is concerned, people will expect it to emulate at the least N64, along with maybe Sega Saturn and Dreamcast (I know this will not happen and am not expecting Pandora to do it; I'm just saying this is what people will likely expect). For other emulated systems, the extra stuff the Pandora will do over the PSP that will be worthwhile will be polished SNES (SNES works on the PSP), and maybe a little better MAME? In addition, with PSP you get commercial games. This is as far as emulation/commercial games are concerned. It'd be great if we could get a list of specifics that each system can do (I'm interested in the non-emulation stuff that the Pandora can do).

I still plan to get a Pandora though.

The PSP does PSX perfectly? What about the GP2X now???

Geez, Maybe i should buy a PSP if it can emulate stuff like the PSX better, and then wait for the Pandora? look how fast MGS is running on the PSP!!!!

And it's a bigger screen too, haha...... God damnit i keep changing my mind as i learn more grrrr

Edit: Nahh, do i really even want PSX emulation? It would be good, but do i really want a damn PSP???? nahhhh :p

Pandora will never emulate the PSX better than a PSP or a PC.
And PSP already has N64 emulation.

All what will Pandora have at it's release - is the bunch of dead pixels on the screen

Josheh said:
By the way, hat do you mean i won't get SNES????? I thought every if not all Emulators for older systems where supported for the GP2X?
I've played a number of snes RPG's on the gp2x and they all worked perfectly fine with the exception of the mode7 part in chrono trigger which was pretty slow, but not so slow as to make it impossible to pass that point. Might make issues for more mode7 heavy games though. That was at least half a year ago too so it might have improved by then.

Josheh said:
JakeK said:

gp2x.net.au

Was thinking of that mate, but it's like $30 - $40 more expensive from them than it is from Play-Asia.

Hey, I'm randomly looking up PSX emulators for the GP2X on youtube, and most video's on it are from 1 year ago, has the emulator been revamped of late? does stuff like GTA run on it smoother? I found a video with mortal kombat running full speed on it!

The GP2x costs $30-$40 more? I wouldn't buy SD cards from him, he is a rip for that. I bought my 4 GiG SDHC card from Umart for around 50 bucks.

Just wait one month to see how it all pans out. Trust me, I know how long a month can be, just try and imagine that you wont know if you are going to get the job you want so much for around 6 weeks. That will drive you mad (well it is driving me mad! I know how many days it has been since it all started).

Back