Two Questions

Chip said:
craigix said:
Actually, MicroMen should be REQUIRED watching for everyone on the forum.
I'd not heard of this. Thanks for the reference. I'll definitely give it a watch. I take it this is the British equivalent of Pirates of Silicon Valley?
That's a pretty good way to put it. Actually craigix mentioned it at least once before which is why I watched it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
zhasha said:
craigix said:
Going for quantity is what has killed almost every other start up like this.
Don't worry, if you get 120,000 orders orally, just make them. There's no way people would back out just because of a few delays.
acorn.png

Classic. If only we could embed the clip.

Keep to the side, that's where pedestrians belong.
*zooms off in C5*

craigix said:
Hi,

Funny you should ask that as I've been doing some accounting over the last few days, and for batch two the price might have to be slightly increased to $349.

There is good reason why other devices like the Pandora are so expensive - it's startlingly expensive to build these. No wonder non-contract iphones are $600+.

I wouldn't compare to the iPhone because Apple has a fairly decent profit margin on those, but yea, low production runs == expensive.
BTW, any idea when i'll be able to find them Pandora's at retailers? (I'm looking at you EvilDragon :p)

Amon_Re said:
craigix said:
Hi,

Funny you should ask that as I've been doing some accounting over the last few days, and for batch two the price might have to be slightly increased to $349.

There is good reason why other devices like the Pandora are so expensive - it's startlingly expensive to build these. No wonder non-contract iphones are $600+.

I wouldn't compare to the iPhone because Apple has a fairly decent profit margin on those, but yea, low production runs == expensive.
BTW, any idea when i'll be able to find them Pandora's at retailers? (I'm looking at you EvilDragon :p )

If you mean in a normal store, you won't, it isn't going to happen. It would have to be pushed up in price even more.

You will only ever be able to buy direct from us (that is the Pandora team).

zhasha said:
craigix said:
Don't worry, if you get 120,000 orders orally, just make them. There's no way people would back out just because of a few delays.
acorn.png

I never used an Acorn, seems like fun tho

Very nice reference to micro men, I laughed at how well it fit :)

It was a great watch, whoever first mentioned it deserves a medal :p

zhasha said:
acorn.png
I cringed at that scene and thought of the Pandora. Hopefully nothing like that ever happens!
Also, three months!

craigix said:
zhasha said:
craigix said:
acorn.png

Classic. If only we could embed the clip.

If you are interested, 'MicroMen' is repeated at 21.05 on the 30th December 2009 on BBC Four:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules/2009/12/30

Don't forget that the UK VAT rate returns to 17.5% on 1st January 2010 - this will obviously affect the future price of the Pandora for any UK customers.

iprice said:
Don't forget that the UK VAT rate returns to 17.5% on 1st January 2010 - this will obviously affect the future price of the Pandora for any UK customers.
did the vat decrease get passed on to customers?

Na-Noo said:
iprice said:

Not sure tbh.

Also the Government have apparently drawn up plans to increase VAT to 18.5% after the election...

iprice said:
Na-Noo said:
iprice said:

Not sure tbh.

Also the Government have apparently drawn up plans to increase VAT to 18.5% after the election...

David Cameron has said that? Wow.

craigix said:
Hi,

I think $350 is still an amazingly good deal. I honestly would have paid as much as $500.

Once my preorder arrives I'm sure many of my friends will be on the list for the 2nd batch. (They've laughed at me for waiting so long, but they all admit it's a very enticing platform.)

mali said:
I think that MID/UMPC enthusiasts still play a too minor role when thinking about Pandora and its future. I came here from the Maemo community for example. There have been huge discussions over there and the interest will spike again when Pandora finally ships. Just look at the interest of other MID/UMPC centric sites like UMPCportal. Peca's survey shows, that there is interest. There might be a much broader customer base than many people think on these boards ;)

I am in full agreement. I used to have a Nokia N770, but I skipped the N800/N810 because I was skeptical when Nokia having dropped support for the N770 so quickly. And now, Nokia seems to have dropped the idea of the Internet Tablet with the N900, which is great for what it is (the next to last stage of a multi-stage developemnt process), but it's expensive because it's a phone.

I've also wondered about the psychology of homebrew apps. When someone codes for the PSP or the GBA, what are the reasons for choosing that platform? I have no idea personally, but those systems are portable and relatively inexpensive, and many people have them. On the other hand, only a small percentage of PSP or GBA owners actually use homebrew software. Homebrew software seems to have more of a chance on Pandora than on the traditional portable gaming systems at this point.

Anyway, this is a characteristically rambling post, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a three- to five-fold interest in the Pandora once it's released.

Wow, thanks for all the replies hehe. ~350 bucks is kinda expensive but watching the videos of what its currently able to do when its not even completly finished yet has me kinda feeling its probably worth it. Anyone know if they plan to sell these through an online retailer or is it supposed to only be these smaller 4k lots going to people who email order them?

ravensoul10 said:
Wow, thanks for all the replies hehe. ~350 bucks is kinda expensive but watching the videos of what its currently able to do when its not even completly finished yet has me kinda feeling its probably worth it. Anyone know if they plan to sell these through an online retailer or is it supposed to only be these smaller 4k lots going to people who email order them?

Unless something drastic happens they won't ever be available from anywhere but openpandora.

Sitwon said:
craigix said:
Hi,

I think $350 is still an amazingly good deal. I honestly would have paid as much as $500.

Once my preorder arrives I'm sure many of my friends will be on the list for the 2nd batch. (They've laughed at me for waiting so long, but they all admit it's a very enticing platform.)
You sound exactly like me because all of my friends are being the same way about it. Now with the price of it I would have paid $350 for it but over that would be questionable at the most though I would pay $400 and that is only if it did everything I want it to which so far it is about 90% there for me but I am almost positive it will be 100% within the year.

Back