Volume wheel question

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
My volume wheel is getting dodgy... Turning it makes the sound crackle and depending on how I turn it sound will be mono or stereo. I guess this happened when I changed my LCD cable, and put the PCB back in the case. I wonder wether this would be an relative thing to fix myself using a solder iron... (it kind of feels like it's just the contact of the wheel that is dodgy).

I don't want to burden the team with my very old, cracked here and there, opened up (for LCD fixing), black case, first batch pandora. 

So if somebody could reassure me that I can fix this myself it would be great.

Have you tried blowing it out with some compressed air? Often times a bit of dust will work its way between the wheel and the contacts and cause such behavior.

Have you tried blowing it out with some compressed air? Often times a bit of dust will work its way between the wheel and the contacts and cause such behavior.
havent tried that but does that also account for the mono/stereo behaviour
Yes. The volume wheel is two concentric variable resistors mechanically linked.

If dirt got between one of the wipers and it's track, then one channel (left/right) would cut out.

Or did you mean that the two channels seem shorted together?

Conductive dirt, p'raps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people suggest using contact cleaner on potentiometers..

since my 1Ghz unit returned from getting its LCD cable replaced my volume wheel has been crackling too, i haven't been noticing any stereo/mono problems though. It's only a minor annoyance to me but i would also like to get this problem resolved

My volume wheel went from very low to very high with no mid range volume function. I throughly cleaned the wheel with a tad of isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip and this was the remedy.

Last edited:
Back