Volume of DVD movies

bulwer

Still Fresh
Just finished experimenting with extracting Men In Black 2 from DVD onto my GP32. Using the guide, it all works fine but is far too quiet, even at full volume. Apparently this is normal when encoding DVD's and I found a site that tells you to set the volume setting in Virtual Dub when encoding.

The problem is that the version of Virtual Dub (1.4c) I have been using does not have this menu option. I downloaded a newer version (1.5.1) and tried re-encoding using this, increasing volume by 400%. It soon become obvious that this was going to add 20MB to the size of my original .avi so I stopped it.

To save me from trial and error (and allow me to do interesting stuff like playing Frodo!), does anybody know of an easy way around this problem?

Cheers,

Dave

Once you encode the file using 1.4c, load the copressed movie back up in VirtualDub 1.5.1 and set as follows....

VIDEO
Direct Stream Copy

AUDIO
FULL PROCESSING MODE
SOURCE AUDIO
CONVERSION - Sampling rate - keep at 44100Hz
COMPRESSION - keep the usual MPEG L3, 32 Kbit/s, 11,025Hz Stereo
VOLUME - set to whatever you like, bear in mind the louder you set the more 'tiney' it will get

then save your avi as normal, this wont increase the file size at all.

Like i said, raising it too high it starts to get raspy stuff, i think movie playing is best suited to headphones personally, but try it out, some stuff comes out ok

Whenever i encode a DVD i use BeSweet for the audio, it lets you do "Dynamic Range Compression" .. Basically making load noises quieter and soft noises (like dialog) louder, without the raspiness that u get from just cranking up the volume... great for crap speakers :) You can get it (along with a GUI) from Digital Digest
heh.. sounded like a commercial :)

Back