Video On My Gp32 - Giving Me A Headache

piphil

Still Fresh
Ok, new topic. Thanks to all those who commented on my previous problem - it was in fact the batteries after all, a combination of lower mHa-rated units and the fact I hadn't charged them in about 6 months. I am happy to report that DrMD is now working perfectly, and the GP32 seems quite happy. :)

My next challenge - I'd like to get some videos on this thing. Mostly just RvB and Ed, Edd and Eddy episodes, so nothing longer than about 10-15 minutes. However, I've found the process of trying to convert the files into the correct format completely infuriating.

In terms of the GP32 itself, it's running Slubman firmware, with GPCinema 2 Universal PreBeta (the latest version that gpnewbie.com seems to recommend). I've also downloaded VitualDub and VirtualDub Mod, as well as DVD Shrink to rip DVDs.

From DivXs (i.e. RvB episodes) I'm using VirtualDub directly. It loads the file fine, and I set it to resize 320x240, audio to 11025 Hz Stereo MP3. However, I already have the DivX 6 codec installed, so it only offers this compression, not DivX 4.11 which I beleive is the version required for the GP32. Of course running these files on the GP32 just crashes GPCinema. I do need the DivX 5/6 codec though - to read the RvB files! Can I download a DivX 4.11 codec that won't over-write the DivX 6 codec, as this seems to happen when I tried to install the older version of DivX?

For the DVD (Ed, Edd & Eddy episodes) I'm using DVD Shrink to rip individual episodes, then converting these using Virtual Dub Mod, and then Virtual Dub to convert to GP32 format.

I'm told Xvid is better for the GP32, but a specific build is required by Koebe. I can't seem to find anywhere with this codec though using Google.

Is there an easier way of getting video onto the GP32? It seems incredibly messy this way. Is it this difficult with the GP2X?

Anyway, off to watch the football. Many thanks in advance for any advice! :blink:

Hi there!
Welcome to the fascinating world of the GP32, myself is enjoying it now since several years... Concerning your problem not finding the Xvid codec (which I recommend!!): Google's your friend. Just visit this page http://archive.gptheatre.co.uk/ or follow directly this link: http://archive.gptheatre.co.uk/?0,0,0,0,17,8
Ah, one thing: Don't forget to set the frame-skip rightly in VirtualDub. And now: Happy encoding! Oh, and just some words about VirtualDubMod: Can't you convert the ripped MPEG2-files directly to GP32-AVIs?

Yes. You can have more than one version of a single codec type (such as having DivX 4.1 and 6). What you have to do is download a codec pack. They're free online, but can have rather large file sizes (hope you have broadband!). The one I use is called Ace Mega Codecs Pack.

Xvid is, indeed, better. You'll need the Koepi build, which quasar linked to. You seem to know what you're doing as far as converting, but the guide on gpnewbie has done really well for me.

QuasaR posted on Sep 2 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
Hi there!
Welcome to the fascinating world of the GP32, myself is enjoying it now since several years... Concerning your problem not finding the Xvid codec (which I recommend!!): Google's your friend. Just visit this page http://archive.gptheatre.co.uk/ or follow directly this link: http://archive.gptheatre.co.uk/?0,0,0,0,17,8
Ah, one thing: Don't forget to set the frame-skip rightly in VirtualDub. And now: Happy encoding! Oh, and just some words about VirtualDubMod: Can't you convert the ripped MPEG2-files directly to GP32-AVIs?

Thanks for the link. I'd tried there earlier I think - I got a sense of de ja vu anyway - and the file wouldn't download. Works great now though, thanks! Movie quality is quite impressive.

One question though - the GP32 Newbie guide suggests doing 2 passes. I just set the compression type to "1 pass - quality" and got a 2.3 Meg file for a 3:43 min video. This seems quite good to me, as I was getting 25 Meg files with DivX 6. Does the second pass make the file smaller, or is it simply a quality issue?

In terms of the DVD-rips, the program I'm using, DVD Shrink, simply de-encodes the DVD and sticks it on your hard drive. You then use Virtual Dub Mod to convert these files to divxs, and then Virtual Dub to GP32 format. This was suggested by a member of this forum in an old post I found via search. It is a little longwinded however. I've never ripped DVDs before - never had a need to - so any suggestions for good (freeware) programs for conversion of DVDs into mpegs/avis/divxs would be appreciated.

[Edit] Also, you mention frame-skipping - what is this and what does it do? Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second-pass encoding means, the encoder first "looks" at the frames and writes down the size of each frame. In the second pass, the encoder use the list with the sizes of the frames to distribute each frame a percentage of the whole filesize. So, with two-pass encoding you can choose the filesize and frames, so bigger frames gets more kbs and smaller frames get less kbs. With one-pass you just can adjust a solid framesize (e.g. 150kbs) which is used on every frame. (Synonyme for one-pass is constant bit rate, short CBR. Two-pass is considered as VBR, variable bit rate. Just look at you MP3 settings when you encode audio-CDs, it's the same there...)
Okay, hopes this will answer your question. When you can live with one-pass quality, use it. I myself use two-pass all the time, since the results are often smoother...

About DVD ripping: DVDs are MPEG2 videos which are mostly encrypted with Macrovision. So your ripper just de-encrypts the files. So, afterwards you have plain MPEG2 files, which can be directly converted to GP32 AVIs with VirtualDubMod (VirtualDub can't use MPEG2 files because of copyright issues...)

I can't remember what the highest you can overclock GPCinema to, but if you do it to the highest setting you shold be able to keep the full framerate, and have a slighly higher resolution.

But i found the only things really worth watching on the GP32 was cartoons, I did get a couple of red dwarf episods running very smoothly, but as i have a very keen eye for quality i was a little disapointed with anything otehr then cartoons.

I backed up all the tv/movies/cartoons i made for the gp32 onto a cd, il try and dig it up so you can test them out

hi anyone what kind of movie converter i most have to covert movie for gp32..

Back