Voltage Mod On 2x?

Dimension

Still Fresh
Just wondering as ive been browsing the forums for a little while and ive noticed alot of threads on voltage modding the gp32. But have not seen anything about voltage modding a 2x. I have experience in this and know the consequences etc. and would just like to know if a voltage mod on the 2x is similar to the 32. If someone could post some info regarding this id be very intrested! thanks!

Just wondering as ive been browsing the forums for a little while and ive noticed alot of threads on voltage modding the gp32. But have not seen anything about voltage modding a 2x. I have experience in this and know the consequences etc. and would just like to know if a voltage mod on the 2x is similar to the 32. If someone could post some info regarding this id be very intrested! thanks!

To my knowledge, no one has successfully volt modded their GP2X. I was thinking of looking into this myself, however I don't as yet see a reason to o/c mine further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dimension. I had brought up this topic once in a very old gp2psx (the name before psx4all) thread and someone tried to take up the challenge. I don't remember who it was, as it was awhile ago, but it was a very supportive GP2X member. I never heard back from him. I wonder if he broke his GP2X. Anyone know?

Ok I guess ill have to go look around. Not that ill robally ever end up doing it for a while until Ive got some use out of it first or it breaks,lol Thakns for all your help everyone!

Probably the best way to start looking into it is with the datasheet for the voltage regulator.

Craigix once mentioned that he had people looking into making a voltage mod. Done a quick search and found him mentioning it here.

Fishbong also had a look into doing a voltage mod here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pencil trick!

Looked into it and seems the 2x is a lot harder if not impossible to do tthis mod. Not positve though. If you do no where those resistors on the 2x id be intrested to know as I have not recieved mine yet to search around. Thanks!

Hi Dimension,

for the voltage mod (MK 1) you must decrease the resistor value R202 (56 K = 563) or increase R206 (i believe) (91 K = 913) for a higher voltage. You can find them near of the Integrated Circuit 'MAX 1566' (this is a DC-DC Converter, looks like a little black 'beetle' with 40 (4 x 10) legs) . The 'normal' power supply voltage for the ARM 920T (likewise for the ARM 940T) - Core is 1.8 V (min. 1.65 - max. 1.95 V). You can measure this voltage at testpoint T7 + T9.

Thanks camiga64! But I only have a MK2 Im figuring its pretty much the same though. Is this true? Thanks for all your help!

No Problem at all :)

And yes, i assume also, that the two board types are very similar. Does somebody know, whether there is a picture of the MK2-board somewhere ?

I'm not sure - if I remember, there may have been a different voltage regulator used in the mkII (or at least it's likely wired differently - the mkII is capable of providing 5V to the EXT port while the mkI wasn't).

Back