Voltage Mod Myself

worldwriter

Grumpy
Website
Visit site
I'm a reasonably technical guy and have some electronics know how... I've been reading Rob's walkthrough on doing a voltage mod... who here has done their voltage mod themselves and with what results? anyone ruin their gp32 doing the voltage mod? should I make mashmods stick to their 166 guarantee and make them get it to 166 for me?

if you're reasonably proficient at electronics and soldering, and you know what rob's going on about then go for it.

only i'm thinking that those instructions were written a while ago, and nowadays there are people who claim to run their GP32's over 200 MHZ...

If it's just the difference between 160 and 166mhz, then don't bother... the difference is tiny.

(unmodified FLU user who gets 156MHZ stable)

maybe send it back to mashmods... if they haven't done the job that you paid them for, then it's *them* in the wrong... dunno what the legality is for them doing it is though, or what insurance you have if they mess it up...

worldwriter posted on Dec 9 2004 at 11:40 PM said:
I'm a reasonably technical guy and have some electronics know how... I've been reading Rob's walkthrough on doing a voltage mod... who here has done their voltage mod themselves and with what results? anyone ruin their gp32 doing the voltage mod? should I make mashmods stick to their 166 guarantee and make them get it to 166 for me?

My opinion is i think you shouldnt try it. Its not worth it, I rather pay Someone else to mod it for me. And then thyll be responsible if the gp32 Dies. And its like the other guy said. 6 mhz wont be a HUGE diff. If it was like 10 Then mabe id go for it but id still pay someone else to do it.

~just an opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
thing is... what if it isn't a 6 meg diff? what if mashmods fired it up...found out it could handle 166 for 15 minutes with out modification and just sent it back? what if the diff is 160 to 200?

worldwriter posted on Dec 10 2004 at 01:39 AM said:
thing is... what if it isn't a 6 meg diff? what if mashmods fired it up...found out it could handle 166 for 15 minutes with out modification and just sent it back? what if the diff is 160 to 200?

I dont think they would do that. Thats against the law. Your paying for a service, And think about it if they send it back to u and u play it for more then 15 minitues then your going to find out and your going to want a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way they should do it is:

Run the GP, see if it still works

Mod it with the best resister combo they know (c'mon your paying way more than
it costs for the 49 cent resiters.)

Test it.

If it goes to 166 without freezing on a high performance program like GP-Quake,
test it for how high it goes max, and tell the owner that speed.
If it doesn't go to 166, send it back with a refund and a note.

EDITED... "The right way to do it is..." > "The way they should do it is..."

ah. understood. try and be more careful though... the guy is wanting practical advice (I think) and it sounded as if... well, you know the rest...

thing I'm really wondering is... do I really need it faster than 160? I mean... if opensnes9x gets better and faster it's going to get better and faster for every speed variation down the line... and at 160 I'm already almost full em anyhow...

worldwriter, I'm voltage modded two of my gp32's now. I'm really crap at soldering but I have managed to get it to work, I used the leaded resistors because they were the only ones I stood a chance of soldering. But I highly recommend it.

My GP32's are really stable now at 166, ( my BLU even goes to 200Mhz, but I don't really run anything at that speed ) but before neither of them could handle 166 for more than 15 minutes and then they would crash, which used to piss me off. Having a stable GP32 at high clock speed ( 166Mhz ) is a much more enjoyable experience, than a GP32 at 133Mhz...but having a stable GP32 BLU at 200Mhz rules :)

Here's my final overclocking results.
"Stable" means I have never had a system crash even after playing for hours .

Max "Stable" CPU Speed

GP32 Unlit Before 156 After 176
GP32 BLU Before 133 After 200

and if your going to take Mashmods up on a guarantee, it probably won't fly, you did not pay originally for it and your the second owner. Somehow i doubt the guarantee or warranty will transfer.

Well, most people don´t gain so much through a Vmod. Actually, i modded mine and it still runs @ "just" 166MHz (but more stable). Anyway, if you want to play GP Quake, every crappy MHz you can press out of your gp32_console is well worth it- for OS9xGP also, so go for it, if u can handle the soldering (and better check if u have produced a shortcut before you turn your gp32_console on again- :lol: ).

I´ve done the MOD with two 08xx SMD resistors, corevoltage is 1,96V.

the BLU I just ordered is stock... and I have a feeling I'm gonna be asking this question (well at least of myself... no repeat threads from me :p :D ) pretty soon. I mean... the idea of upping that speed and getting emu's running better and better... gonna be hard to resist.

I have modded my own systems before, a PS1 and DC most recently... but if there's one thign I dont like about the GP, is that the contact points you have to work with seem SOOOO SMALLLLL. At least in the pic.

And Rob says right there, if your solder is even touching one of the wrong posts, you get full voltage and fry the CPU. :blink:

wish Jr2swiss was still doing these mods... he's local to me too so I probably coulda even skipped shipping.

yeah, if there was someone in the US that did the mods i would probably get it done. i don't trust myself enough to do it.

*hoping for at least 156mhz stock since people seem to give this number a lot for a full speed running DrMD*

what speed is good for the snes emu to run full speed with sound or is that even possible?

Back