Mashmods Voltage Mod And Screen Replacement

Akuma no Houkon

Certified Guru
Website
akuma.gp32news.com
I just got my GP32 back from mash, I had the Voltage Mod and Screen Replacement mod done to it, and for those of you who wanted to know.

The voltage mod is perfect, it does all it claims to be. Previously I could only stablely OC to 140mhz (I could goto 146 but it would lock up at random), now I can go to atleast 166mhz without problems. (probably higher but I dont have anything that can test higher). If your gamepark cannot go to 160-166, I HIGHLY SUGGEST this mod. For $15 + $5 shipping, you will thank yourself.

The glass screen replacement, its crystal clear, and besides a tiny bit of double sided tape poking its head out of the gray screen liner, its a nice professional screen installation. It raises the gray liner up a tiny bit, but is such a tiny amount that its near impossible to measure, if I bring the GP32 up to my eye, I can just barely tell that the screen is raised a tiny bit higher than it was originally. If you love clarity, and dont want to worry about scratching the screen evertime you breath on it, then I Highly Suggest this mod as well. If you are already sending it to mash for the voltage mod, just add a couple $ to have the screen replaced. If you are not sending it to mash, I suggest you order the peice of glass from his site and do it yourself. (at your own risk of course :p )

All in all, I am very satisfied with these two mods.

Hm my gp overclocks to 156 which i think is enough though I would like the screen replacement I kept my gp in great condition and still the screen is scratched heapd :angry: though I'm not sure I could do the screen replacement well myself :rolleyes:

Hmm...sounds good. I plan on getting the button mod, screen replacement, and voltage mod (although I can already OC to 160 perfectly and 166 in fGEN, I would really like 166 for other emulators), so it'll be like a real big improvement (sp?). I'd get a very clear screen, fully responsive buttons, and the capability to OC to 166 with OS9xGP. Now I just have to convince my father that sending a $200 handheld to some guy in another country, expecting him to improve it and send it back, is safe...

EDIT: Just some questions I have:
1. Was your GP32 mint before you sent it? Did it have that mint smell before you sent it? If it did, when you got it back, did it still have the pleasant fragrance?

2. You're only supposed to send the bare unit, right? Did you send it with your Entware case?

3. When you got it back, how was the screen? Dust, finger smushes, etc.?

4. How long did it take from leaving your door step to arriving back?

Well all I can say is I sent mine in, and a couple days after he got it, he had both mods installed and had it in the mail on the way back. I got it back in less time than it took to get to him.

I am in the USA, and he is in Canada, so I have the same issues as from the UK to Canada. Customs, etc.. (and the same work arrounds for those). And I have to say that I am very pleased with the results, if I had multiple GP32s I would send them all to him for these two mods.

1. Was your GP32 mint before you sent it? Did it have that mint smell before you sent it? If it did, when you got it back, did it still have the pleasant fragrance?
Yes my GP32 was mint (well it had a couple scratches where I tried to pry the gray liner up for something, but besides that it was mint, and it was the very same when I got it back. No new dents or anything.

2. You're only supposed to send the bare unit, right? Did you send it with your Entware case?
I dont have an entware case. I simply took the Lik-Sang box it was shipped in (that brown box), and wrapped my GP32 in like 10 tons of bubble wrap. (I left my SMC card in, with Doom, and OS9x, and had new batteries in, to make it easier for him to accuratly test the success of the voltage mod). It came back in the same condition I sent it in, only, enhanced. :)

3. When you got it back, how was the screen? Dust, finger smushes, etc.?
Crystal Clear. No dust, no smudges, nothing. There was even a nice peice of cardboard protecting it from the packaging. And, he gave me my old plastic screen back, wrapped in plastic wrap.

4. How long did it take from leaving your door step to arriving back?
I did 5-7 day mail, which took 15 days to get to him, because of customs. He had it for a couple days, before it got sent back, and it took about 10ish days from the time he sent it out to the time I got it. (oddly much faster than the method I sent it to him was)

I sent it out on the 5th, he got it on the 20th, he sent it back on the 24th, and it got back to me on the 4th (there are only 30 days in April) So total time, counting weekends and holidays was 29 days. Remember though that I used damn near the cheapest mail service that my local post office had.

Everything was so perfect that I kinda half expected to find a little pillow mint taped to the back of my GP32 lol.

If you read his news site, he says he only has a limited stock of replacement glass screens (like 30 more left), so if thats something you plan to do, you might want to get on the ball about it. :)

I just ordered a glass replacement screen. Well, I sent them an e-mail, to be precise ... they'll send me back an e-mail with total costs, etc. The web site says they only have ~20 left, so HURRY UP folks!! :lol:

I'm sick of this crappy plastic screen with all that blue crap on it ... it smudges so easily (and I'm anal-retentive about keeping it clean and dust-free).

I have one of the gp's that won't overclock at all. Will the voltage mod allow me to clock up to the higher speeds? The screen mod sounds great too. I used to take ultra care in protecting it, but then I got lazy about it, and as soon as I did, sure enough, tons of stupid little marks start showing up.

delgrego posted on May 4 2004 at 10:11 PM said:
I have one of the gp's that won't overclock at all. Will the voltage mod allow me to clock up to the higher speeds? The screen mod sounds great too. I used to take ultra care in protecting it, but then I got lazy about it, and as soon as I did, sure enough, tons of stupid little marks start showing up.
Yes the voltage mod will let you get 166 (or higher) cpu speed, regardless of what it can or cannot overclock to right now. As I said, mine could only originally OC to 140 (which isnt much above 133), and now it goes to 166 with no problems, in all the games I try it in.

My GP32 came with this thin plasic sticker type thing (that adhears to itself and to the plastic a bit) and I tried to keep that on every second I wasnt playing it, but dust and smudges, and the oils from your hands, eventually makes it to where that plastic thing wont really adhear to the screen anymore...the screen replacement was the perfect solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit!! He just responded .. $6 including shipping!!! Awesome!

Yes, the voltage mod will allow you to OC to 166.

Thanks for the tip, and the fast response! I will definately get this done. You must be a night owl too, that is, unless your somewhere other than the east coast. :lol:

(I AM on the east coast) :ph34r:

... stop reading my mind!!! :lol:

delgrego posted on May 4 2004 at 10:17 PM said:
Thanks for the tip, and the fast response! I will definately get this done. You must be a night owl too, that is, unless your somewhere other than the east coast. :lol:
West coast for me.
But I am a night owl, I usually am on the PC from about 9 PM to 7 AM ish...

If you are going to get those mods done, the sooner the better I say.

telco, i already knew you were in Jersey. HA! I'm watchin you! I only ever saw one other person in NYC with a gp32, and that was while I was still lusting after one. Kind of funny to see someone else with one.

TelcoLou posted on May 5 2004 at 05:03 AM said:
I just ordered a glass replacement screen. Well, I sent them an e-mail, to be precise ... they'll send me back an e-mail with total costs, etc. The web site says they only have ~20 left, so HURRY UP folks!! :lol:

I'm sick of this crappy plastic screen with all that blue crap on it ... it smudges so easily (and I'm anal-retentive about keeping it clean and dust-free).
Don't panic. It is quite easy to do the glass. If he runs out and you can't get the glass screens, I could sell you some at the same price. I have this glass cutting machine that I made (for other things) so I could pump out a few if needed. I don't want to cut into mash's business so I will sell them ONLY if he runs out. Oh I am in the US.

That's great news. I sent my GP32 to have the screen, voltage and button mod done to it for only £20. I sent it about 2 Fridays ago and should recieve it this week, they said they would send it on Monday. Can't wait to get it back! :) Thanks for the news.

Back