VoIP

alephhat

Still Fresh
So I've been searching around and I've seen many people talking about a desire to have Skype ported and I've seen suggestions for open alternatives and whatnot, so rather than adding to that volume of preexisting information, I have a similar but different question.

Does anybody know of ANY (and by any, I mean free or paid or whatever) VoIP service that does or will likely run on the Pandora that will be able to do what Skype does in that you would be able to make calls to phones- not just program x to program x calling and messaging?

But will that program allow phone calls to a cell phone for example? With Skype (paid for) you are able to have a phone number and place calls to other users and to non-users (peoples' cell phones or landlines). The idea being to get a wireless access (like a USB or similar) from, say, Verizon or Clear or whatever and pair that with a service that can actually place calls (paid or not) and now I no longer need a cellular phone- no more need for unnecessary pushed content or having to replace the firmware to make it useful and much less privacy intrusion and what not.

I don't really need to specifically place calls either. It would be nice, but as long as I can send text messages to cellular phones I'm set at the minimum

Depends on your VOIP provider I suppose. You certainly will not be able to do so for free, but I think most VOIP providers will allow such calls to be placed.

I haven't tried any of this myself, so I can't say exactly how or where to do this.

To clarify: Ekiga is a SIP client, where SIP is basically the open-standard equivalent to Skype. You need to register with a SIP provider; you should then be able to make free calls to any other SIP account. Depending on your provider, you should also be able to place calls to standard telephones, probably for a fee.

Verrrrrrry nice! I can work with that! I'm really looking forward to getting the unit in the mail and tinkering with it. I'm probably going to have to pick up a second one now as well. Thanks much for the info.

If you just want to send SMS from the web to a mobile, there is a handy free web to SMS service. There are possibly other similar services, though I haven't looked as I have been using this one for many years:

http://www.cbfsms.com/

I am in the UK and have used two SIP providers that I can recommend:

http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/ - This has a European dialling tone to incoming callers, however you get 90 days of free calls to many locations each time you buy credit, plus you get the credit to spend!

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/ - I use this for my main incoming line as it has a UK dialling tone. They also issue you with a free local geographic telephone number!

Hope this has been helpful.

will google voice calling google talk work? that's how i make calls on my computer

google voice will never work for the pandora unless google makes a ARM supported version of it.

google voice will never work for the pandora unless google makes a ARM supported version of it.
hum ????

Google voice is just a phone plateform not an application. And does already have dedicated arm clients.

But you can also connect any SIP clients to google voice. So ekiga should work (via gizmo5 services or any other sip operator) someday.

About google talk (which is just a xmpp client with audio/video support), text support is working nicely with pidgin. It is said to support audio/video too but it look experiemental (that's what the docs say) and I didnt tested it.

i hope someone gets it working. i would really hate to have to pay for a voip service when google provides one for free already

So I have my unit now. Am looking into options. I've been digesting the whole Debian bootstrap technique and I've been considering giving it a go to get Ekiga working. Have any new options come up since... I've been looking but haven't found anything.

I did notice, however, that google talk has a .deb file that can be installed to make it function (although I could not figure out what to do with it since it asked for what to use to execute it- wasn't sure what to use)... Would this work through the Debian extend or does this have something to do with the ARM vs. x86 issue or did I just fail and miss how to operate it in the first place? Ultimately I would prefer Skype due to encryption and ease of use but I have messaged them and they seemed inconclusive about ever making something available for ARM and Linux collectively (although to be fair they seemed curious so it may require other people messaging them about the same issue).

Secondly does anybody know of a SIP provider that allows PC to PC, PC to Phone, and SMS? And also any recommendations on wireless companies/ adapters to use for wireless service off a cell tower (3G, 4G, etc...) as opposed to the typical home router.

Basically the objective is to replace the cell phone with the Pandora as an all in one media and office device and simultaneously cut out as much reliance on proprietary cellular software as possible (ie. get rid of the Blackberry/ iPhone/ Whatever and their terrible restrictive OS's and supplant beatutiful Linux in its place!)

I don't understand why the Pandora couldn't potentially be fully mobile. It is more powerful than a PSP and the PSP is capable of running Skype (or in the case of the Pandora- something that would be an equivalent). Granted there might be bandwidth issues at the moment for actual voice calls but that is slowly changing as they are releasing faster "off the pole" USB devices. Personally I do about 90% text and 10% voice anyways so it is more important to be able to send and receive SMS. Google voice is already capable of that through the Pandora but only through the site- I am not yet aware of a "softphone" version of it that can be used in a minimized fashion independent of having the browser open, especially one that works with Linux and ARM.

It would be nice if Google would find a way to incorporate Google Voice and Talk and make it into a firefox add-on or something of that nature. What about messing with libjingle? I'm a bit out of my element, but I know there is a way lol

Google voice uses xmpp aka jabber talk protocol to make phone calls. Learn the protocol, make a arm linux client, and there to go.

The gmail web based call plugin is x86 and closed source so probally no joy there. I had plans on working on a client bsed off open sourced xmpp but my attention has been significantly diverted

Google voice uses xmpp aka jabber talk protocol to make phone calls. Learn the protocol, make a arm linux client, and there to go.

The gmail web based call plugin is x86 and closed source so probally no joy there. I had plans on working on a client bsed off open sourced xmpp but my attention has been significantly diverted

Would be great excepting for the fact that the last time I programmed was on a Commodore 64 using BASIC lol. I'm well out of the loop inasfar as what would be required to develop such things. I get the gist of it but don't have the necessary skill set.

As far as your attention getting diverted- what has it been diverted to? (As in something within this topic but different that what I had mentioned- or something else completely?)

Would be great excepting for the fact that the last time I programmed was on a Commodore 64 using BASIC lol. I'm well out of the loop inasfar as what would be required to develop such things. I get the gist of it but don't have the necessary skill set.

As far as your attention getting diverted- what has it been diverted to? (As in something within this topic but different that what I had mentioned- or something else completely?)
family (baby girl) and other projects not related to the pandora

same place as vminko... got linphone to connect the service, and I even made a test call and could hear the other end (called an automated service number)... didn't get to test the mic as I have not read the "mic enabling thread" that's either here or on the GP32x forum and I heard the call with headphones vs a headset...

Back