Vmaps2x

GameGod

Still Fresh
I was browsing around YouTube and I just stumbled upon a cool video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsKRnNomHAk

It shows some "vMaps2x" application running on a GP2x, which lets you zoom around a map (like Google Maps). I can't find any more info on this app anywhere. Anyone know where to get it/who's working on it?

GameGod posted on Dec 21 2006 at 04:26 PM said:
I was browsing around YouTube and I just stumbled upon a cool video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsKRnNomHAk

It shows some "vMaps2x" application running on a GP2x, which lets you zoom around a map (like Google Maps). I can't find any more info on this app anywhere. Anyone know where to get it/who's working on it?
I have no idea where this is from but I need to have it!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks nice, but isn't it really just a large image viewer? There was a map application on the GP32 which actually had multiple levels of maps a bit more like google maps, but it required somebody to create the maps in the first place...

Yono posted on Dec 21 2006 at 11:25 PM said:
The description is in Spanish. Check GP32Spain probably.

I did. Can't find anything. I'm betting it's unreleased. Or maybe I missed it. Someone who actually knows Spanish should probably check.

I was also intriuged by this tool and messaged the poster asking for any info on the program, but no reply. Seems he's just a tease :angry: .

Hi All,
I wrote a Map Viewer for the PC and Pocket PC, well I wrote a few versions, one which used Nasa's image data, but that wasn't really detailed enough for me, so I used the images from MS Flight Sim 2002 VFR plugin, although that version only had ALL of England and Wales. so if you don't live in England or Wales that was useless for you :D using the images from VFR gave good results, but Google Earth images would be a lot better :)

bagnav.jpg

I was thinking of porting it to GP2X, it was much better than that viewer you saw on YouTube, as it was full 3D with UK Height Map :D looked uber sweet.

Should I do that instead of a game next? when I get some spare time? ( lots of real work to do lately :( )

I think that something like this could end up really useful. Since I take my gp2x when i'm travelling, I could definitely use google earth images to find out where i need to head next within a new city. I wonder, how cpu intensive do you think this app would be and how much storage is required for a map of say, Vancouver?

Hi All,
I wrote a Map Viewer for the PC and Pocket PC, well I wrote a few versions, one which used Nasa's image data, but that wasn't really detailed enough for me, so I used the images from MS Flight Sim 2002 VFR plugin, although that version only had ALL of England and Wales. so if you don't live in England or Wales that was useless for you :D using the images from VFR gave good results, but Google Earth images would be a lot better :)

bagnav.jpg

I was thinking of porting it to GP2X, it was much better than that viewer you saw on YouTube, as it was full 3D with UK Height Map :D looked uber sweet.

Should I do that instead of a game next? when I get some spare time? ( lots of real work to do lately :( )

..yes, yes you should. :eek:

I think that something like this could end up really useful. Since I take my gp2x when i'm travelling, I could definitely use google earth images to find out where i need to head next within a new city. I wonder, how cpu intensive do you think this app would be and how much storage is required for a map of say, Vancouver?

I could make it really not CPU intensive at all, if you guys want a simple map viewer
could have it 2D and just change the screen, once you touch the joypad, and therefore turn clock speed right down to lowest it can go, then back to fast to update screen, then back to slow for idle.

as for storage of say Vancouver, that all depends on what size textures you want to put in it?

Should I just make it read a jpg? and you set a jpg grid of images?
eg, 0001_0001.jpg , 0001_0002.jpg etc. and the app will join them together, that way, you can use your own images, got from where ever you can get em from. ( making sure you keep them to a none stupid resolution ) like 10000,10000 pixels etc. as you don't want it to take forever to decompress the image :)
also, I'll keep it flat, for now, as since I won't know your map's coords etc. it'll be hard to match, and I don't want to be flamed for map's heights to look funny.

And also with you providing your own jpg's it'll be safer copyright wise for me :) and you can stop adding pictures when you've filled your SD card then, or use an attached USB device? and store the world lol.

is that ok? or should I ask you guys what you want instead?

I could make it really not CPU intensive at all, if you guys want a simple map viewer
could have it 2D and just change the screen, once you touch the joypad, and therefore turn clock speed right down to lowest it can go, then back to fast to update screen, then back to slow for idle.

as for storage of say Vancouver, that all depends on what size textures you want to put in it?

Should I just make it read a jpg? and you set a jpg grid of images?
eg, 0001_0001.jpg , 0001_0002.jpg etc. and the app will join them together, that way, you can use your own images, got from where ever you can get em from. ( making sure you keep them to a none stupid resolution ) like 10000,10000 pixels etc. as you don't want it to take forever to decompress the image :)
also, I'll keep it flat, for now, as since I won't know your map's coords etc. it'll be hard to match, and I don't want to be flamed for map's heights to look funny.

And also with you providing your own jpg's it'll be safer copyright wise for me :) and you can stop adding pictures when you've filled your SD card then, or use an attached USB device? and store the world lol.

sounds good to me,would be cool to have cycle routes on the move :)
regards providing maps, would be cool to have a suggested list of possible sources,
but make your own works for me.
cheers for this baggers, its gonna be kinda like a cool budget tomtom, i guess thats a chavchav :).

i think i still got the source of that google earth clone on my hdd, the one which was c&d'd by google.
Im sure it would be helpful when writing a app to extract pictures from google earth.
pm me and i look for it

[...]
i've no idea, how google eath caches its data... but it would be very cool to use the google earth cache on a viewer on the gp2x... 2D is fine for me
(google earth works offline with the cached data)
so you could go to the location in google earth to cache the data you want to have, copy it to your SD and display it on your gp2x

and it would be great if this tool would also support these .kmz or .kml files
there are kmz files for public transportation and so on

wow... would be a killer-app for the gp2x :eek:

Back