Pandora Mockup Videos

Yrx said:
Igh, yeah. After watching the first video again, I can definitely see that being uncomfortable. Is it possible to move the d pad (and probably ABXY) closer to the center? Maybe if you put those center buttons to either the top or sides, and shifted everything inwards?
Ok,

Fire up your photoshop or gimp and come up with a better placement. Same dimensions, same components.

Post em here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternative: Shift both analogue and digital about 0.5cm further in, and move the menu/start/select buttons to the screen section - they're hard to reach anyway, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Thus the D-pad becomes more comfortable, and, probably, the alaogue still stays comfy enough.

Just a thought :)

Or those middle buttons could be smaller, or differently arranged. There's a lot of different ways that can be done. The main point is, try and move the controls away from the edge, it'll help for long-term playing. And I can't imagine it being TOO difficult, even if only just a bit.

Vimacs said:
see, the dpad on the ds is also uncomfortable to reach, my right thumb always starts hurting after some time when playing ds.

Controls shouldn't be that close to the frame, it makes you cramp your thumbs in unnatural positions.
It helps if you don't grab the device too tightly. Let it rest on your fingertips, don't touch the lower corners with your palms.

Moving the buttons and d-pad inward would probably mean moving the analogs inward as well, which I don't think is a good idea.

craigix said:
Unless you have some kind of withered hand they are not hard to reach
Damn it! :angry:

craigix said:
Unless you have some kind of withered hand they are not hard to reach
Fixed! :p
jesus_man_withered_hand.jpg

Hey guys,

Just was able to upload a better video of the mockup I did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPb_vunkQY I kind of exaggerated the stretch to the middle keys. As long as you don't have 'brick' hands and actually allow your hands to move to reach them it's easy.

That is great work, and now has me extremely excited about this project.

Thanks!

prairiefire said:
Hey guys,

Just was able to upload a better video of the mockup I did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPb_vunkQY I kind of exaggerated the stretch to the middle keys. As long as you don't have 'brick' hands and actually allow your hands to move to reach them it's easy.

could you tell us how exactly you build that mockup?

Vimacs said:
it looks like the dpad and abxy buttons are very uncomfortable to reach...
Maybe the analogue sticks and dpad/buttons should be switched around.
That wont make any difference, then the analogs will be hard to play with instead.

Yrx said:
@Vimacs: Igh, I can't see enjoying that. You'd end up hitting the analog things unless your thumbs were uncomfortably arched.
From the renders, the analogs don't really go that far out, so thats probably not a huge problem, but still, it might be an issue, and it doesn't really solve the first issue anyway.

Vimacs said:
Controls shouldn't be that close to the frame, it makes you cramp your thumbs in unnatural positions.
teggun said:
I think I recall something like that aswell from my DS, trying to play Mario Kart got pretty difficult when you had to do that little boost thing whilst going left
Yrx said:
Igh, yeah. After watching the first video again, I can definitely see that being uncomfortable. Is it possible to move the d pad (and probably ABXY) closer to the center? Maybe if you put those center buttons to either the top or sides, and shifted everything inwards?
I've been saying this all along, and I'm happy someone took the time to help you guys visualize it. This thing wont be small no matter what you do to it, so widening the frame slightly, to make room for everything in a proper way, isn't a catastrophe. I'd do it the other way around, remove the keyboard, drop the analog pads lower, and move the d-pad, and buttons in a little.

Vimacs said:
could you tell us how exactly you build that mockup?
Does it really matter? I wouldn't mind seeing a mod that lets the screen fold over on the back, but this might not be the place to ask for that either.

B!

Great job prairiefire! The more I see of the design the more I like it. Seems to be very functional.

for the mockup, i used a corrogated cardboard box, white glue and cut the base dimensions out (ie rectangles). it worked out that five layers, three layers of cardboard for the bottom and two for the top had the perfect thickness to the specs. i glued the 2 layers. then, cut out the corners on the top layer at the hinge. i wrapped the 2 halves with paper (like a present ;)) and wrapped the two cutouts. then cut holes in the ends of the paper for the hinge and rammed a pencil through to make the hinge. then i taped liberally.

Mr B said:
it looks like the dpad and abxy buttons are very uncomfortable to reach...
Maybe the analogue sticks and dpad/buttons should be switched around.
That wont make any difference, then the analogs will be hard to play with instead.
[/quote]

The controls are in the perfect position. If you have any physical deformities that we should know about, I know a model-builder who can make a custom case.

Back