GP2X Vincent Opengl Es 1.1 Implementation

I remember ThunderZ (or possibly someone else) saying in the most recent Yeti thread ("I got Yeti to Compile" - can't remember who by) that curved surfaces could easily be created by switching the basic poly from a quad to a tri - but that no-one had done this because it'd make designing levels a tad on the tougher side. Which ought to mean it shouldn't be too tough to fix that one, with any luck...

Even if Yeti can't be made OpenGL compliant, it might still be worth porting... I'm sure there are some authors out there that could do some neat stuff with a simple & fast 3D engine. Heck, I'd love to play around with it when I get my 2X.

--Zero

Yeti's already been ported. woogal likes to point that out every once in a while. I don't remember by whom it was ported tho'

I know the post has been "sleeping" for a while - but any joy on OpenGL for the 2X?
There are other projects in the works, but you guys seemed to be closer.

Jawdy posted on Aug 23 2006 at 02:37 AM said:
I know the post has been "sleeping" for a while - but any joy on OpenGL for the 2X?
There are other projects in the works, but you guys seemed to be closer.
BTW, here's an overview of interesting OSS projects around OpenGL ES that I presented during the Khronos TechTalks as Siggraph.

Concerning an implementation of the OpenGL ES 2.x API mentioned in those slides: I probably won't have the time to work on a gp2x port myself, but if anyone is interested in picking up the port, let me know. With the off-line compilation model of shaders there is actually quite some potential for creating a highly optimized rendering loops for software implementations.

- HM

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... thanks guys!

Nice to know that a lot of work is still being done on all these implementations. I shall take a look when i get my GP back (PSU died... again :-/ )

Also hmw i would be interested in taking a look at your OpenGL ES 2.x API port to the GP2X... not saying i'd be any good myself, but I know of a good few coders who'd be very interested in this!

So was it determined that Vincent is unusable for real-time 3d application development?

Jaeger posted on Aug 29 2006 at 02:16 PM said:
So was it determined that Vincent is unusable for real-time 3d application development?
Based on the postings in this forum, I don't think there is much 3D game development for the gp2x going on in general; regardless of the 3d lib used as the backend. So I don't think anybody used Vincent/Klimt/TinyGL/whatever even just to develop a 3d game concept at this point.

- HM

It's kind of a chicken<->egg problem

I do have a team put together, some coders, some animators, some sound and music guys etc - who are all really keen to (1) make a game, (2) make one for the OSS community and (3) for the GP2X.
Hence my interest in various render options.

Well I know when this topic originally came up, I had the interest, but not the time! Now I have the time, but I'm having trouble in using the lib properly in my own projects. :/

Also for whatever reason, a lot of people didn't realise that Vincent was a 3D library... I saw many topics when it was originally released here, where people were talking about 3D engines and such, and they hadn't heard of Vincent.

PokeParadox posted on Aug 30 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
Well I know when this topic originally came up, I had the interest, but not the time! Now I have the time, but I'm having trouble in using the lib properly in my own projects. :/

Also for whatever reason, a lot of people didn't realise that Vincent was a 3D library... I saw many topics when it was originally released here, where people were talking about 3D engines and such, and they hadn't heard of Vincent.
Are you using some 3rd party 3D engine? Or trying to build your own? Or you not want to tell us? ;-)

I've only recently been looking into implementing 3D on the GP2X, but have the time, and a relatively large team who can work on it - but any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jawdy posted on Aug 30 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
PokeParadox posted on Aug 30 2006 at 01:54 PM said:

Are you using some 3rd party 3D engine? Or trying to build your own? Or you not want to tell us? ;-)

I've only recently been looking into implementing 3D on the GP2X, but have the time, and a relatively large team who can work on it - but any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated!!!
You could check out the Edge library:

http://www.edgelib.com/

Various people are playing with their own homemade 3D code (including me), but making a well-rounded library with a documented (or worse: compatible with some standard) interface isn't everybody's idea of fun.

I haven't seen any reports from people who have tried the current version of Vincent... maybe it isn't bad...

I really wish someone would convert/create a decent 3D library for the gp2x. I would do it myself but I really don't have the time with all of the gp2x games that I have in the works I don't even have time to sleep! :( I do however have alot of 3ds max models that I have created and would like to make a cool 3d game even if it is low poly it can still turn out nice just look at mario 64 its very low on the poly count but was a fantastic game. Someone please work on this!!! :)

Back