Release get-flash-videos

Hi all,

I didn't see this available so I created a pnd of get-flash-videos. get-flash-videos is a command line tool to download flash videos from various websites.

From the website:

Includes support for the following sites/players (and more!):

• YouTube, eHow, Brightcove (used by many sites like Channel 4, Daily Telegraph ...), BBC (news, etc), Metacafe, 5min, Google, fliqz, nicovideo, vimeo, Blip, Break, Collegehumor, Muzu, Sevenload, Megavideo, Wat.tv.
  • Also includes a 'generic' method which works on many other sites.

The pnd is based off the latest development version from git.

The package also contains the following:

• rtmpdump
  • Hulu plugin

Any feedback/bug reports are welcome.

repo

source

get-flash-videos homepage

Cool. I'll take a look.

I've been using this on my Pandora for a little while, but via PanDebian. I've always been stymied by my unit's flakey WiFi. I just got a USB dongle that works much better. I'll let you know how it goes.

I used this with megavideo and it worked well. Thanks! The thing to note with megavideo is that it requires a flash version greater than what is with the Firefox 9 pnd, so something like the DownloadHelper plug-in doesn't work. This lets one watch Megavideo content on their Pandora.

Thanks again!

I used this with megavideo and it worked well. Thanks! The thing to note with megavideo is that it requires a flash version greater than what is with the Firefox 9 pnd, so something like the DownloadHelper plug-in doesn't work. This lets one watch Megavideo content on their Pandora.

Thanks again!

Cool, glad it worked for you, and thanks for the report. I haven't tested that many sites, so its quite possible some might be missing libraries or perl modules- let me know if you run into problems and I'll try to add them.

Just gave this a quick go and it worked very well (youtube) thanks!

One question - how can I direct it's downloading to my USB stick rather than it's own appdata folder? The documentation points to a config to edit that I can't locate (though I am willing to accept my brain is at fault on this)?

Code:
get_flash_videos --help

will give you the options for the command-line.

You can specify a download-location manually by providing a filename to write to by using "-f <path>/<filename>"

Also you can search for "man get_flash_videos" on the web to find a more detailed description. It mentions

On startup get_flash_videos will read the configuration files located at /etc/get_flash_videosrc and then ~/.get_flash_videosrc.

So for a per-user-configuration there needs to be one in the homedirectory. Since with the latest hotfixes the homedirectory is set to the appdata-directory on launch of a pnd, you can find the config-file there. In my case thats:

Code:
/media/trans8/pandora/appdata/get-flash-videos/.get_flash_videossrc

This does not exist by default on the pandora so you have to create it on your own. The man-page, that you find by searching like described above, helps you:

The files follow a simple "name = value" convention where the name matches the long version of the command line options. For example if you want to specify the default player, to always say yes and to always run the player the file might look like:

player = my-video-player %s 2>/dev/null; rm -f %s

yes

# Always play the video

play

Options given on the command line will override these options, with the exception that it is not currently possible to disable an option enabled in the configuration file from the command line.

Last edited by a moderator:
hm, I just noticed that this is not the best solution. As you probably want to specify no filename, but just a default directory.

You could write your self a script that does something like this:

- change directory to your prefered download-path

- run pnd_run.sh with the parameter to execute "get_flash_videos" and passing all parameters (most of the time the URL) to it

I will try to write one. Give some time.

Just gave this a quick go and it worked very well (youtube) thanks!

One question - how can I direct it's downloading to my USB stick rather than it's own appdata folder? The documentation points to a config to edit that I can't locate (though I am willing to accept my brain is at fault on this)?

hm, I just noticed that this is not the best solution. As you probably want to specify no filename, but just a default directory.

- run pnd_run.sh with the parameter to execute "get_flash_videos" and passing all parameters (most of the time the URL) to it

sorry, duplicate post. see below.

hm, seems that i found a way without the need to write your own script:

Start the the pnd of get_flash_videos. That will open up a terminal. Now write:

Code:
mousepad ../get_flash_videos.bashrc

The mousepad-editor should open, showing the content of "get_flash_videos.bashrc".

find the line that shows

Code:
cd downloads

and replace it with

Code:
cd /<full_preferred_download-path>/

Of course you have to replace that with the path you want to use. That path needs to exist. If you are done, save the file and exit the editor. Then close the terminal of the get_flash_videos-pnd and start it again. This time the terminal should open with your preferred download location set as default. Let me know if something does not work.

Currently you could just do cd /path/to/my/download/directory and run get_flash_videos from there since its in your PATH.

If you look at the pnd the launch script opens a terminal with a custom bashrc that sets up various environment variables such as PATH and PERL5LIB and changes the working directory to the download directory under appdata. This is currently hardcoded, but maybe this starting working directory could be made configurable.

Supporting what you describe with running get_flash_videos from pnd_run would have to be added since currently its only setup to launch a terminal. Maybe a new subapp could be added to launch get_flash_videos directly? I'm open to any ideas people have on the best way to handle this.

I'll include an example .get-flash-videosrc by default in the next release.

Oh also, the get-flash-videos man page is included in the pnd and is in the Documentation menu.

Thanks greatly to both of you, plenty to go on :)

The man-page, that you find by searching like described above

Oh also, the get-flash-videos man page is included in the pnd and is in the Documentation menu.

I did mention I'd referred to the included documentation originally, but I presume it isn't Pandora specific hence the wild goose chase for the specified file ;)

Are flash videos .flv files and how do i get this to work.

They can be a number of formats, youtube tend to be mp4 for example.

Just install the pnd like you would any other, find the webpage with the video you want and copy the url (might be handy to create a text file with a list of the urls you want to use, so copy & pasting them is convenient).

Run Get Flash Videos, a CLI window opens. type:

Get_flash_videos (followed by the url of the video)

hit enter and it 'll do it's thing. It'll tell you if the url is invalid or incompatible, youtube works fine.

You'll see from the documentation that it captures the highest quality level by default, unless you specify a lower one. The videos are saved in the 'Downloads' folder in the Get Flash Videos appdata folder.

Hi,

I uploaded an updated version of this package to the repo. (0.1.2.1)

Changes:

- Updated to latest upstream code for get-flash-videos, Hulu plugin, and rtmpdump

- Added a few shortcuts:

- gfv is an alias for get_flash_videos to save some typing

- gfvc is a wrapper that passes the contents of the clipboard as the last argument

This means you should be able to copy a URL into the clipboard, open the get-flash-videos terminal and run gfvc [optional parameters] and it should download the video.

Please see git for more details about what changed.

Update: Fixed an issue with the plugins directory not getting updated. New version uploaded to repo (0.1.3.1)

Hi,

I uploaded a new version of this package to the repo (0.1.4.1)

Changes:

- Fixed recent youtube breakage.

- Many other sites added or fixed.

Please see git for a complete list of changes.

Back