Videos Freezing

GrimReaper

Still Fresh
I've just been experimenting with encoding a Futurama episode for my recently bought GP2X and when playing back the video it seems to randomly freeze. It takes a while to happen, sometimes 5 minutes othertimes 15 minutes.

I'll be able to access the play menu by pressing Y but it does nothing, for example i'll move the selection to the eject button to return to the video bit but nothing will happen.

Are there certain encoding settings which cause it to freeze up?

I've been encoding using Divx 6.2.5 and XviD 1.1.0. Video bitrate of 250kbps and 64kbit mono audio. (320x240)

Divx settings:
GMC and QPel are disabled.
Insane quality.
Bidirectional coding: Adaptive multiple consecutive.
Max keyframe interval: 250. (source is 25fps)
Quantitization: H.263 optimised.
Psychovisual enhancements: Off.
Everything else at their defaults.

I've been using Virtualdub to encode the episodes. I encoded them as CBR and VBR (multiple passes). I've so far used the save and normal battery modes, i'm currently playing them back using the full mode. But, because of the low bitrate it should work fine with both of those shouldn't it?

EDIT: After trying "FULL" mode with the XviD 2 pass VBR version it played through the entire episode, is it possible it's running out of buffer with the lower battery modes? Has anyone else encoded low bitrate videos and used the save or normal battery modes?

GrimReaper posted on Aug 26 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
I've just been experimenting with encoding a Futurama episode for my recently bought GP2X and when playing back the video it seems to randomly freeze. It takes a while to happen, sometimes 5 minutes othertimes 15 minutes.

I'll be able to access the play menu by pressing Y but it does nothing, for example i'll move the selection to the eject button to return to the video bit but nothing will happen.

Are there certain encoding settings which cause it to freeze up?

I've been encoding using Divx 6.2.5 and XviD 1.1.0. Video bitrate of 250kbps and 64kbit mono audio. (320x240)

Divx settings:
GMC and QPel are disabled.
Insane quality.
Bidirectional coding: Adaptive multiple consecutive.
Max keyframe interval: 250. (source is 25fps)
Quantitization: H.263 optimised.
Psychovisual enhancements: Off.
Everything else at their defaults.

I've been using Virtualdub to encode the episodes. I encoded them as CBR and VBR (multiple passes). I've so far used the save and normal battery modes, i'm currently playing them back using the full mode. But, because of the low bitrate it should work fine with both of those shouldn't it?

EDIT: After trying "FULL" mode with the XviD 2 pass VBR version it played through the entire episode, is it possible it's running out of buffer with the lower battery modes? Has anyone else encoded low bitrate videos and used the save or normal battery modes?

I had the exact same thing man!
First of all you should not encode to DivX YET.. You must encode to XviD to ensure you don't get freezing.
Then 2nd; You must resize the movie to 320x240. That worked for me. Many people got problems with the original inbuild movie player but if you resize AND encode to XviD i can assure you you wont get any freezes! It only happend once to me with this but that was because my battery's were running low. Hope it helped?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis1989 posted on Aug 26 2006 at 10:36 PM said:

I had the exact same thing man!
First of all you should not encode to DivX YET.. You must encode to XviD to ensure you don't get freezing.
Then 2nd; You must resize the movie to 320x240. That worked for me. Many people got problems with the original inbuild movie player but if you resize AND encode to XviD i can assure you you wont get any freezes! It only happend once to me with this but that was because my battery's were running low. Hope it helped?

What xvid settings did you use?

I got freezing with the videos when I used xvid too. Although I get no freezing at all if I use the FULL battery mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back