Another Slow Mplayer Problem

mrsnature

Hi,

I've been using avidemux for encoding some dvds, and am very happy with it. To get the smallest file size possible, and as I am mainly encoding animation, I decided to half the frame rate to 15fps/12.5fps.

I managed to get the videos down to around 100mb + ~40mb audio, and all plays fine on my pc. However, in the video player on gp2x the frame rate basically plays at around 4fps! (Setting 'Full', and then overclocking to 240mhz makes no difference)

I've played other videos fine, at larger file sizes ~700mb, so don't think its a problem with the speed of the sd card (only needs to be read speed of 100MB an hour for a 150mb video?!)

I tried re-encoding the videos to the same file size, but this time leaving the frame rate as is (30fps/25fps)... and although the are more artifacts present, the videos play very smoothly! The only other setting I may have changed was the audio bitrate from 96kbps to 64kbps.

Anybody had any similar problems? Mplayer more efficient at playing 30fps videos than 15fps ones?!

Regards

What is the actual player you use for the GP2x? The standard one? What firmware?

From personal experiences, the FW 2.1.x player is the fastest one of the 'standard' players..
MP2x is probably equally in speed to that, and has the advantage of proper SRT subtitle file support..

So, try playing your movies using MP2x, which you can get at the archives..

If I remember correctly, The GP2X has problems handling B-Frames, it just skips over them.
They would be much more noticeably skipped if the framerate was already halved.

The sultion then is to use an encoding profile without B-Frames :)

firmware 2.0.0

the most likely cause sounds like the b-frame problem... that was the sort of issue i was expecting, i'll give it a go.

thanks guys!

Edit: Well turning off B-Frames seems to have done the trick..thanks PP. I've now encoded a 1hr movie into under 100Mb, and the quality is still pretty good!

Back