Video: Ohhie Gui

Pleng

This is a demonstration of a full-screen, multi-tasking operating environment for the Pandora. It is hacked together using the XFCE Panel, MatchboxWM, Thunar, and a few Bash scripts. As such it has a few flaws, such as Thunar having to restart any time a category, or home, is selected (the CPU needs to be set to quite a high speed to avoid this being overly irritating) but it entirely usable - in fact it's the only interface I use on my Pandora at the moment.

It could be much improved if there was a file manager which would could be called to the front and have directory chances enforced via command line options, as well as being able to remove the menu bar and customise the tool bar.

I've also experimented with using MiniMenu with the XFCE Panel, however this will not be usable in practice until it is updated with an option to run apps without killing MM.

[media]http://www.youtube.c...zWnPvgCHkM&hd=1[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
oh nice work! this is the kind of thing i have been pretty excited about seeing on the pandora. alternative and stripped OSs different arrangements and implementations of things. something that really shows exploration of the way we interact with the device. all the emulators and program ports are great and all, but seeing what people can do with the OS is very exciting. i am still looking forward to the music player minimal system and the music device related things talked about before.

Pleng - I'll probably have a mm build for you sometime monday with that option prese t; I'll PM you when I have the bin for ya

Jeff

Pleng .. or anyone:

Grab:
http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/minimenu/detail-toggle/

Two files there:
'mmenu' is the main executable; you can sudo to root and copy it over /usr/bin/mmenu if you want to replace your current one. (or run it from SD by hand if you like, such as /media/FOO/mmenu from a shell.)

This gives you the option to 'live on app run' in the config menu.

This one also has toggle detail panel support (hit 'A' button to do so.) Works great imho.

This version also runs a bit faster too, due to some tweaking.

To get the detail toggle function, you need an updated skin -- minor updates, adds 6 or 8 lines that end with _w .. the 'wide' version of some skin config items, so it knows where to render in thin and 'wide' modes; if a skin lacks those values, it'll refuse to allow toggle, and if things get weird, it'll default to all bogus but non-crashy values and look funny :) the mmskin.conf file above, copy it to /etc/pandora/mmenu/skins/default/mmskin.conf or whatever, should work a treat.

jeff

Back