Video Editing

jocejrod

hey, my first post, but have been obssesing over it since it was first announced. just wanted to know if the pandora could run video editing software, of any degree.

thank you in advace

joce said:
hey, my first post, but have been obssesing over it since it was first announced. just wanted to know if the pandora could run video editing software, of any degree.

thank you in advace

First of all welcome!

And yes it probably will. But how usefull it is depends on what you are going to edit and how long you are willing to wait for compression. Full length movie edits: not likely or not funny. editing/mixing small clips: highly likely. But if you are planning on using processor heavy filters/effects, remember that the processor operates at 500/600 Mhz. (overclockable to up to 900 Mhz.) so probably no.

Just realised i have no idea about any good linux movie editors, only have experience with windows/mac in that area. But same principles should apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of funny you should mention that. I read somewhere that the makers of VLC are making a video editor. It's called "VLMC" IIRC. If it's anything like vlc it'll be open sourced, right?

My laptop(1.7Ghz) can barely handle it. plus the pandora doesn't have a big screen for all the UI... I wouldn't do it.

It's not just the CPU speed, it also depends on the SD Card Read/Write speeds as well.
If they're too slow, it'll be a dog.

I had a 600Mhz Celeron (back in the day) which edited video pretty well. 256Mb Ram, 64 ATi Vid Card. Pandora can beat that!

SD Speeds are a big issue.

it also depends on the software, don't count on running the latest photoshop on that 600mhz celeron of yours.

I ran win7 with no obvious issues on a 500mhz celeron with 512mb ram :)

GizmoTheGreen said:
it also depends on the software, don't count on running the latest photoshop on that 600mhz celeron of yours.

I ran win7 with no obvious issues on a 500mhz celeron with 512mb ram :)

I'm not talking about editing with anything like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro (or windows similarity).
Back when I did it I was using Microsoft Movie Maker.

No one has stated what kind of video editing they want to do.

If it's just simple video (like mobile phone) and they want to add an overlay or mp3, then a simple editor (similar to Movie Maker (Win/Mac) would suffice just fine and should be great on the pandora.
If he wants HIGH end, then that is just a silly question.

Avidemux can do basic things like cutting, video filters, audio, and encoding. Open source and C++. Nothing too fancy.

If you want something more comparable to programs like Final Cut and Premiere, Kdenlive looks to be pretty good (don't know much about it though, just did a quick search). Open source and C++, but would probably be way too slow to be usable on the Pandora.

Yeah, I tried Kdenlive, can't remember how well it worked.

Of course it's entirely possible, but video compression is slow shit, so feature-length movies will take a while to render.
But if you're just making a little YouTube blip.tv video or something, I'm sure one of the ported video editors will work, and VLMC sounds promising.

OpenShot is currently my favourite open source video editor. It's fairly new, but quickly becoming very powerful. I see no reason it can't be ported to and used effectively on the Pandora.

@Wizardstan

Thanks for the link. I was excited about VLMC. But Openshot looks pretty cool!

If digital freeview usb sticks can be made to work on the pandora or maybe some way of going from firewire to USB then prehaps digital capture is possible. But editing? I'm thinking prehaps the pandora's screen would be too small. I'm using kdenlive on my slackware box on a full sized 21" widescreen monitor and I still find I run out of space ....

ljones

Video editing has become weirdly slow recently, and I don't understand why.

I used to edit videos on my DX4/100mhz PC with 640*480 videos. The software I used was pretty quick, generating the movie took a while but not too long.

I've recently used PC software which took almost exactly the same time on a 2ghz machine. That is disgraceful. Until very recently I was still using the old software on a 400mhz Pentium with Win98 because of that, now I use a Mac.

I also have a similar opinion of how slow Firefox is. Seriously, we can emulate the N64 on the Pandora but Firefox sucks just as much power to BROWSE THE WEB - something I could do back in 1995 on ancient technology. What a bloated mess it must be.

At least due to all these phones browsing the net we are seeing some pushes to optimisation and not a moment too soon.

craigix said:
Video editing has become weirdly slow recently, and I don't understand why.
DRM?

craigix said:
I used to edit videos on my DX4/100mhz PC with 640*480 videos. The software I used was pretty quick, generating the movie took a while but not too long.
Your 486 was only doing that - your modern machine has 1000 other things that it's doing that you didn't ask it to?

craigix said:
I've recently used PC software which took almost exactly the same time on a 2ghz machine. That is disgraceful. Until very recently I was still using the old software on a 400mhz Pentium with Win98 because of that, now I use a Mac.
Thats why I use Linux.

craigix said:
I also have a similar opinion of how slow Firefox is. Seriously, we can emulate the N64 on the Pandora but Firefox sucks just as much power to BROWSE THE WEB - something I could do back in 1995 on ancient technology.
I thought that the OpenPandora was supposed to have Firefox running fairly well... What browser do you suggest we use on the OpenPandora then?
[/quote]
craigix said:
What a bloated mess it must be.
Firefox or the internet? Browser has to keep track of a lot more than it used to - and has to include special calls for all the weird crap that IE put into the web in the 90s.

craigix said:
At least due to all these phones browsing the net we are seeing some pushes to optimisation and not a moment too soon.

Yes - for far too long code has been allowed to grow exponentially by assuming all the fat of the previous generation then duplicating functions 3 different ways to add more bloat.

I had a laptop in '95 with a 120MB HDD. I ran it as a triple boot PCDOS, Windows'95, OS/2 machine with 40MB for each OS - and there was still plenty of room for applications. Have any of you checked the install footprint of XP, Vista, Windows 7, Ubuntu 7, 8, 9 and now 10? Measured in GB, not MB.

If you want some fun, take a modern machine and install Windows 3.1 or even better - OS/2 on it - the speed is crushing, if you can get the OS to recognize the machine.

Grench said:
I thought that the OpenPandora was supposed to have Firefox running fairly well... What browser do you suggest we use on the OpenPandora then?
Midori seems very likely to be the primary webbrowser :)

yes, midori is very fast, but i would like to see how chrome runs on it as well, the linux name is chromium though.

GizmoTheGreen said:
yes, midori is very fast, but i would like to see how chrome runs on it as well, the linux name is chromium though.
No, Chromium is the name of the Open Source project which Chrome is based upon. Chromium runs on Windows and Chrome on Linux as well.

Isn't Chronium just the name of the open source version. I didn't think it had anything to do with the platform but I might be wrong.

Webkit based browser seems the way to go for performance. Arora is another webkit browser that might be worth a look.
http://code.google.com/p/arora/

There are some video editor for linux but a lot of them aren't exactly there yet or are too difficult to use for some basic editing. I think that once you add the performance factor into this there won't be many option left for the Pandora. (I would like to be proven wrong though).

Using command based utilities for cutting and putting together video shouldn't be much a problem I guess.

Back