Very strange charging behaviour

One of my CC's couldn't be charged with charger (PSP charger). Plugged it in and then it charged for a while but after a few minutes it stopped and discharged until battery was flat. So I started to use the USB port only. A lot slower but at least that worked fine.
Today charging with USB port had the same behavior as my PSP charger. Charged for a while and then stopped until it was fully discharged..

So I tried using both at the same time and it works again. Strange method, but I am in good company with this workaround :)

On my CC, I also need to plug both 5V and mini-USB for the charge to proceed.

Is this the beginning of the end of my battery or my Pandora? Any risk in doing this?

Try resetting the charging chip by removing the battery for a night or so. If that doesn't help I'd recommend a new battery. They're quite cheap in Ed's shop now.

Thanks for the suggestions. This morning the battery was discharging again @57%. Yesterday evening it was appr. 95% so the dual charging method was only successful for a while.
Removed the battery so lets see...
I have a few spare batteries already so that will give me an opportunity to test whether the battery is the problem or my Pandora.

Nice to see ED is still selling batteries and for the quality of batteries (they work fantastic for several years) the current price is indeed cheap. Not really need one right now, but might still buy another one if this one fails.

BTW - still interested in a response from someone regarding the dual charging method. Good idea or not to fix charging issues?

I've had to use twin charging on occasion, although I always put that down to my cheap chinese charge cable starting to go south, and shortly afterwards they've proved to need replacement. I don't see why it should work to be honest; the 5V sources must be united before they hit the actual charge chip, and out from there toward the battery there's only the charge line, and the sense line (ignoring ground for now). The 5V from mini-USB must go through more complex transforms, since it can also work as an OTG port, so must have a charge ladder to get than 5V from system 3.3V, but presumably that's switched out when it's acting in client mode, and I guess just presents the near 5V from USB to the charge chip.

It can't hurt, but I don't understand why it works if it isn't cable troubles.

It can't hurt, but I don't understand why it works if it isn't cable troubles.

Seems like it needs that bit more oomph to charge currently. Pretty sure it is not the cable (very short and sturdy that I use a lot).
Nice to know it can't hurt, that is my main concern - so thanks for confirming. Not too worried about damaging the battery but I don't want to damage my Pandora.

Now charging another battery that came with one of my Pandora's and was identified as 'damaged'. This one also seem to need the 'twin' trick but it does charge fine right now (already up to 87%).

Back