Very Pretty..

Looks good in black on their site, that ribbon connector looks vulnerable, seems to get pinched when closed rather than retracting into the base.

Price is.... a bit steep! If you're in the money though, why not.

Last edited by a moderator:
that ribbon connector looks vulnerable
Those old ribbon cables are practically indestructible. You can bend and twist them all you want and they won't break. Hardly break, I'm sure someone has an anecdote to prove they do eventually.

what looks more fragile in my opinion is the screen, with the joystick right in front of it...

What's up with the button layout? Is there any arcade games that need 9 buttons? This is my only complaint really, otherwise everything looks great.

Chris

What's up with the button layout? Is there any arcade games that need 9 buttons? This is my only complaint really, otherwise everything looks great.

Chris

I wondered that, as you have the three smaller buttons on the left of the joystick for coin/start/whatever

...Then when I see how, of the nine buttons, the top left one is a sort of screwdriver isn't it? For fixing the joystick... So I wondered if those top row of three are not actual play buttons

If I had 2.5k to throw away on one, I would tell them they can keep their man bag :)

It is aimed at rich idiots who haven't had the sense to seek out GP2X/Pandora/GCW/ Emulators on their computer. The kind of people who have the latest super charged Mac with the big screen and all they do is email.

Or maybe I am just a cynic... <_<

It is aimed at rich idiots who haven't had the sense to seek out GP2X/Pandora/GCW/ Emulators on their computer. The kind of people who have the latest super charged Mac with the big screen and all they do is email.

Or maybe I am just a cynic... <_<
I have had a couple people who liked my Pandora until they found out the specs and price.  They seemed to think I was an idiot and asked "why don't you just use a computer or smartphone?".  I prefer playing certain games on the original hardware and people respond with what you said as well as what I just quoted when I tell them.  Different people like different things. 

I am pretty sure some of the intended appeal is a bit of that steampunk charm.

I am a grumpy cynic ;)

I can see the value of something like the R-KAID-R but not at that price point. Although as a collector item it might be an investment, it is not the mass-produced executive toy I first assumed.

Either way it is still very very very cool :)

I can see the value of ____________ but not at that price point.

Many people say this of many things that still sell.  Things that immediately come to mind are Pandora, classic computers and video game consoles,  high-end computer hardware, buckling spring keyboards, old synthesizers and other music gear, new synthesizers, works of art, classic cars, high-end cars, high-end consumer electronics like 4K TVs, gourmet food and drink, etc. 

I am frequently with you as a grumpy cynic.

Yeah, some of the people who have been critical of my hardware preferences have been into other things I listed.  Too me their choices are poor, and they feel the same toward mine.  More amusing, though, is a former hardcore gamer who got too busy with other aspects of life to play games and then rants that video/computer games are the lowest point of human existence whenever the topic comes up.

Nice idea, pretty an unique but no way this is worth 2500$. Why everything is sold to ridiculous prices as soon as it#s "made by an designer"? I have seen ugly fruniture made out of junk that cost 10x as much as normal furniture. I guess "design" sells everything those days?

However, at 2. sight this box has some serious flaws, first one is the placement of the screen, it should be right to protect it from getting smashed against the Joystick when accidently closing. The speaker area onto the left would be perfect to keep this save. Second is the placement of the power switch, way to close to the action butons, dangerous. The retro CRT screen cut out also does not match the games as you can see in the Video, it hides to much, could be done better with that look.

On the plus side, I like the hidden Screwdriver, the Joystick lock and the overall design. But I'm sure this thing could be made for 500$ without any issues. 2500$ is just to much for a emulation machine.

Those old ribbon cables are practically indestructible. You can bend and twist them all you want and they won't break. Hardly break, I'm sure someone has an anecdote to prove they do eventually.
Hm, when I remember back at my first Pandora ribbon cable and how fast it broke, then I doubt that ribbon cables are anything near "indestructible". At least not that exposed like that in the R-Kaid-R. How does it fold there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone put a Pandora PCB with emulators into a nice case and charges 2500 USD for it? :D

(I know it's no Pandora PCB, but it easily could be).

That said, if we only sold 50 Pandoras, we probably could've charged 2500 USD for one as well and they would've sold pretty fast.

Yes, I wonder how many of these boxes will be sold. If people really want to spent thatm uch money for an "Emu Box" (do arabian sheiks play videogames? XD ) then we may rethink the Pyra marketing and sell a special edition as super exclussive toy for the rich ones (we still get the normal version). :D Maybe in gold or wood or both? ^^"

I mean, the Pandora/Pyra can do much more than this box so I wonder how the 2500$ are set together. 45$ for the electronics (Raspberry inside???) and the rest for the wood?

Hm, when I remember back at my first Pandora ribbon cable and how fast it broke
Different type of ribbon cable. This is 24 gauge wire coated in thick plastic, the Pandora's ribbon is thin traces on thin silicon.

Back