Sound cutting out

edgex004

Advanced Member
Hey all. I'm not sure if this is a problem with just my unit or if this is a universal issue, but here goes:

Sound output through internal speakers can be turned up to max and function normally, but sound through the headphone jack cuts out if song's volume goes too high. For example:

1. Start deadbeef(or your audio player of choice, but I think i notice this with both deadbeef and audacious). Play song of your choice.

2. Plug in external speakers and set volume knob on both speakers and pandora to a reasonable level.

3. Slowly turn up pandora knob and turn down speakers to avoid blowing them out.

4. At some point, when song hits moments of high volume (say while there are vocals, bass, drums all at their peak in the song) the sound in the external speakers starts to cut out/stutter.

To fix this I always need to turn down the volume on the pandora and try to avoid hitting this peak level. Unfortunately for me, I sometimes work with sound systems which only have a certain amount of amplification, and need to turn the sound on the pandora up very high. When I do this, this cutting out problem occurs. I don't believe it is a loose connection or anything as it functions perfectly fine at lower levels. I think it might have something to do with the hardware or even software not being able to handle high levels of output through the audio jack.

Is anyone else able to recreate this? I find I am able to with almost any song and on any given sound system.

EDIT: I write bad english.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, have you downloaded the community codec pack for Pandora?

Yes.

The issue isn't with whether or not some music will play. It purely has to do with it "overloading" or something when the output volume is too high. For example, I can play any one of my mp3s perfectly with the volume knob set to 1/4 maximum, but when it is set to 1/2 maximum only the quieter segments of song will play. It will play fine until the song hits a loud point, and then will start cutting out entirely.

I'll try and do a video of this at some point to better illustrate my problem and help someone else recreate it.

Sound output through internal speakers can be turned up to max and function normally, but sound through the headphone jack cuts out if song's volume goes too high.
The internal amp goes through the HP jack and if nothing is inserted, then it is routed to the internal speakers. If something is plugged into the jack and is causing the overload, this is not a problem with the Pandora but something to do with whatever is being plugged in I would think, especially if the internal speakers never do this. You could try to wiggle a plug in the connector or slide it in and out a few times to see if the mechanical switch inside isn't tight. If you plug in some normal headphones, what happens to the audio?

2. Plug in external speakers and set volume knob on both speakers and pandora to a reasonable level.
What kind of speakers are these? I assume they are not directly driven by the Pandora and have their own amplifier inside.

4. At some point, when song hits moments of high volume (say while there are vocals, bass, drums all at their peak in the song) the sound in the external speakers starts to cut out/stutter.
Do these external speakers have some kind of protection if the input voltage is too high? The headphone jack is not a standard line level output but can function as a line driver. It can put out high voltages (4Vpp although maybe not at 10Kohm loads) well above the usual spec. Maybe your speakers can't handle it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like the amplified speakers are getting too hot of a signal & the speakers' amp is overloading & cutting out.

In other words, the problem looks more likely to be with the speakers (specifically, with the speakers' amplifier) than with the Pandora. You can diagnose the problem with a pair of headphones & an MP3 player. Substitute pieces in your existing setup one at a time, and it should be clear where the problem lies. Good luck!

ALSA gain is probably set too high and you're getting distortion. Use the alsa tools to inspect. ("aplay -l")

Well, I'll look into it a little further. I do know that several different speaker setups have experienced this issue. The main clue to me that this was the pandora and not the amplifier is that I plugged into my friend's sound system immediately after he had his macbook plugged in. The system's volume was not changed. However, before I could increase my pandora's volume high enough so that the music was anywhere near the level of his macbook, the cutting out problem began.

I did initially think that it was an issue with the speakers/amp protecting themselves, but my friend's system made me think differently.

Back