Vectrex emulator release..

RobertG

I've posted a link to this in the general forum, but it doesn't have it's own topic and it pretty hidden so here it is:-

Vecx GP0

I don't have a GP32 yet, so I can't really test this myself. This release is USELESS other than for testing, as it has no controls (will hopefully be uploading a new version with controls and some other improvements tonight), but I'd really appreciate it if those of you who are familiar with the vectrex can test it out and give me some feedback on the speed. I'm hoping that it's atleast half as fast as the real thing.

The bios and MineStorm are built into the fxe file so all you have to do is run it and it will automatically run MineStorm. Hopefully the rom loader will be done soon, but probably not until I've received my GP32.

If you use the Vectrex emulator by Valavan Manohararajah, be warned. It hasnt got sound and a nasty bug showing up in minestorms. When you shoot a back-shooting mine (the ones with a spot in the middle), the screen suddenly is mostly empty, flashing some garbage every second or so. I fiddled around with the source a bit, but the bug remained.

Mess and DVE are both better choices for a start.

by the way: we expanded vectrex' display to the side. it looks very strange on the gp32, but games are still playable. turning the gp32 to the side isnt really an option for most of the games. Also the contrast seems better when using black lines on a white background.

Yes, I'm using Vecx by Valavan Manohararajah. I haven't noticed any bug with Minestorm..? Although the first thing I did was completely strip out his rendering code so maybe it was a bug in there? I dunno.. I'll mess around with the windows version I have tonight and see..

I had a look at DVE first, and it looked like a complete bitch to port. Vecx seems much cleaner, and a good starting point. This is really just a little project to get me back into C coding after spending waaaay too long in webdev ;)

the bug appears very seldom if you shoot one of the asteroids with a mine inside (the ones with a point in the middle). You can see it also in the original windows version, i checked that.

good luck with the emu!

Back