Geepee 32 speed..

RobertG

I've read somewhere that you should never judge the speed of a GP32 app based on how it runs in GeePee32, even if you do have a fast computer. Is this true?

GeePee32 seems to run the GP32 bios screen fine (never seen it in real life so I don't know if it's full speed. But it seems fast and smooth), but it's really struggling running my Vectrex emu port.

Seems to be running at about 25% full speed (maybe even less!), with no change when I set the GP32 clockspeed from 40Mhz to 133Mhz. No change whatsoever, however Geepee32 reports that it's running at 60fps.. Eh? Perhaps I'm not setting the clockspeed correctly.

I realise that it's going to be slow as I've not even started optimising yet.. But I was hoping that I wouldn't have to optimise THAT much ;)

First ever build that I had laying around on my work computer:-

Vecx Gp0

No controls or anything, it just boots Minestorm (included in the executable). If someone could try it out and let me know how it runs I'd be very grateful. If it runs ok I have a newer version at home with controls working, etc that I could upload tonight.

GeePee32 is not what you'd call full speed at all. I've got an Athlon XP 1700+ (that I'd generally call powerful), and the speed I get out is waaay lower than what I get on the console itself. GeePee32 is good for seeing if a game is going to be worth putting on the GP32, or for vaguely seeing what it does, but never judge the GP32 speed by what speed the emu goes at. It'll be way out - so your info is correct :).

Also, you might want to use mr_spiv's excellent b2fxe converter, since not everyone can use .gxb programs :)

Tobriand, check the parent post. Ive uploaded the emu and it has a game compiled into the rom so it's good to go. :)

RobertG posted on Apr 28 2003 said:
Tobriand, check the parent post. Ive uploaded the emu and it has a game compiled into the rom so it's good to go. :)
You'll still want to convert it to fxe so everyone can use it ;) A gxb can't be run by some people.

GeePee32 runs sluggish on a fat beefy machine, so its not representative. (ARM 132MHz isn't easy to emlate fast :) The speed also varies a lot base don what you're doing.. its not linear per se.

What processor you got in your desktop? ie: I've got an Athlon 1800+ (1.6GHz), and I'd say GeePee32 runs about twice as slow as the real GP32 on my box, "ore or less". If its a total stinker in GeePee, I know it'l tank on the real unit. But if its sluggish on GeePee for me, its probably okay on the real unit. *Shrug*

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this one, converted to fxe.

My PC is an XP 2000+ at home, and a P3 800 here at work. The Vectrex emu seems to run the same speed on Geepee32 on both computers ;) My home PC must be a bit unhealthy ;)

RobertG posted on Apr 28 2003 said:
IT "runs"; I never had a Vectrex, though I've played a few here or there. The emu kciks up, it draws some title screen with the border goign through a line-segment-fade-thing I'msure you know about.. but it doesn't go anywhere into a game or the like. I'm not sure what speed its supposed to go at.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to show that "Splash Screen" for 30 - 60 (seems like forever anyway!) seconds before going into the game.. Should then show a title screen for 10 seconds, before going into the game properly. It does that on its own and it doesn't matter if you hit buttons or whatever, you have to wait.

Just release it when you get controls and graphics working so it boots some games, let the public tell you whats wrong ^_^

Just release it when you get controls and graphics working so it boots some games, let the public tell you whats wrong

Graphics are fine in this crippled crap release :) Atleast in GeePee32.

heh, then focus on the controls
foooooooooooooocus foooooooooooooocuuuuuuussssssss

NotN runs crap on the emu too, I'd say 25% of full speed, and I'm on 1800 (1.52 Ghz). Frameskip doesn't seem to change it. What I would say, tho, is that the '60fps' in the emu is probably a good indication of the speed it will be on the actual console.

- Rico

Robert,

Would it help if I made a video of what it looked like running on my gp32? If so, e-mail me and let me know.

Flack ... @cox.net

Back