Vba?

'Mr devil45' said:
idk... vba link is just an expansion for vba. it might work natively...
anyone with a gpx2- can you please try getting vba link to work?
VBA is extremely slow on GP2X and VBAlink is typically too slow on ordinary internet connections. Put two and two together on that one, but if that's not enough for you consider that VBAlink is code written for Windows and isn't portable, so it's not going to work somewhere else without being reworked.

I might be more interested in trying to do link emulation if I know that more than 1% of the people who wanted it wanted to do more than trade their pokemans with it (it's bad enough that like 80% of the people who use my GBA emulator only want to play Pokemon to begin with). I generally do emulators for other people to enjoy and not based on my own gaming interests but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
i''m sorry. i dont know much about gpx2 or portable emulation, andi definitely didnt know that VBAL was just for windows...
thanks for educating me.

'naples39' said:
Heh, Exophase neither confirms nor denies availability of gpsp Pandora port. :ph34r:
I can confirm that there's no gpSP build for Pandora right now. There is a Temper build though ;p (alas, no sound :<)

gpSP is a nightmare for me to look at for some reason, even though I have a ton of things that I really, really want to implement on it. I poke around at it here and there now and then but I'm too much of a perfectionist to let a release similar to the GP2X ones happen again. Those only happened because zodttd preempted me on it. Of course, if I don't do anything someone is bound to just port that one.

I was actually waiting to have a good ARM development rig before I try to do ARM stuff on gpSP again (I wanted to write ARM renderering code, like on Temper - could probably get some good speed increases there. And I need to bring some platform specific dynarec things up to speed and so on, although that section isn't really even ready yet). So far this is what things have been like:

- First GP2X: SD port is broken, keeping large ROMs around is problematic.
- Second GP2X: USB port broke off, can't upload and debug in real time (no serial)
- Wiz: Have serial, but USB doesn't work so I can't upload in real time (serial transfer is way too slow and SD swapping got old way too fast)
- Pandora: Have serial and USB works too, but because it's a bunch of guts laid out on a table blocked by my computer it's kinda hard to get to to look at the results, but this one is promising! I can probably go with it.

'Exophase' said:
'Mr devil45' said:
idk... vba link is just an expansion for vba. it might work natively...
anyone with a gpx2- can you please try getting vba link to work?
VBA is extremely slow on GP2X and VBAlink is typically too slow on ordinary internet connections. Put two and two together on that one, but if that's not enough for you consider that VBAlink is code written for Windows and isn't portable, so it's not going to work somewhere else without being reworked.

I might be more interested in trying to do link emulation if I know that more than 1% of the people who wanted it wanted to do more than trade their pokemans with it (it's bad enough that like 80% of the people who use my GBA emulator only want to play Pokemon to begin with). I generally do emulators for other people to enjoy and not based on my own gaming interests but I have to draw the line somewhere.

well... i for one would play ffta,castlevania, and all those other cool titles that the gba has, that have been hiding in a closet somewhere. B)

this isnt as much of a must as a DS emu but hope to see it anyway,

cheers

'Klintux' said:
this isnt as much of a must as a DS emu but hope to see it anyway,
Careful... I'd bite my tongue if I were you.

Ds emu= tiny tiny screens, hardly viable for pandora. Heck the DS is a far better emulator with a R4. GBA had tons of worthwhile games. And let be be the first, if not one on the first, to say, I'd much rather play a game of Advance wars, Yugioh or Megaman.exe over wifi than Pokemon. But hey I'd rather just see a working GBA emulator eventually even without wifi.

Alpha2 said:
Ds emu= tiny tiny screens, hardly viable for pandora.
Some games (Harvest Moon, Pokemon, Zelda, ect) could work if theres one big screen displayed and an option to switch between the top and the bottom.

Edit: Now that I think about it, most games would work.

What kind of nice filtering for GBA does the Pandora have power for, to make it look better at a playable size?

Why do people try to shoot down the viability of a DS emulator for Pandora based on the screens? If somebody wanted to make one, that would be the least of their problems. They screen resolutions are 256x192, you could double the resolution of one screen (to make it a little smaller than on DS) and 1.5 the other.

'Alpha2' said:
Ds emu= tiny tiny screens, hardly viable for pandora. Heck the DS is a far better emulator with a R4. GBA had tons of worthwhile games. And let be be the first, if not one on the first, to say, I'd much rather play a game of Advance wars, Yugioh or Megaman.exe over wifi than Pokemon. But hey I'd rather just see a working GBA emulator eventually even without wifi.
+1

'Alpha2' said:
Ds emu= tiny tiny screens, hardly viable for pandora.
Use the search function before spewing refuse. There are many ways to successfully handle the screens for a DS emulator, there's at least 2 topics I remember that discussed this.

I don't know how fast DS emulation would be on the Pandora, but IMHO, the real question about DS Emulation should be: Will we be able to talk a competent dev into coding one for us?

-God Ginrai

'fischju2000' said:
What kind of nice filtering for GBA does the Pandora have power for, to make it look better at a playable size?
Nice filter is "multiply the pixels by 3x3", it works out to a resolution of 720x480 which covers most of the Pandora's screen. For such a small screen an integer scale factor is the best decision you can make (IMO anyway). It'll look much better than a GBA at least.

'God Ginrai' said:
I don't know how fast DS emulation would be on the Pandora, but IMHO, the real question about DS Emulation should be: Will we be able to talk a competent dev into coding one for us?
Oh hey, I can answer that one!

No.

'Exophase' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
Oh hey, I can answer that one!

No.

That makes me sad to see you say that, seeing as how you are just the type of competent dev that would be able to make something like that happen. ;)

-God Ginrai

I'd work on a DS emu if the following conditions were met:

1. I had the time
2. I was convinced that such a thing was even possible given the nature of emulation [I feel like static recompiling could be a lot faster than interpreting and easier than dynamic recompiling, but it doesn't seem very popular, so I guess it doesn't work]
3. I knew a damn thing about emulation

I'm 0 for 3 here.

Well, I've taken Hardware and Assembly classes, so I understand the concepts of emulation, but doing so for something as complex as the DS would be outright foolish for me.

So:
3. If I knew every damn thing about the DS' hardware.

@Exophase: I know from closely following vbalink's development that the gba's multi-mode link protocol can be a PITA, but if for some reason you would find yourself coding it, know that I, for one would not use it for pokemon but Advance Wars II :)

Disclaimer: No, I'm not asking you to do it or implying that you should (there must be more worthy use for your time). I'm just expressing my interest.

I'd be using a GBA emulator to play Advance Wars and Mega Man Battle Network. Linking would be nice but no one I know is getting a Pandora (maybe they want one after they've seen mine).

Back