Visual Boy Advance, Cannot Insert Mmuhack.o Module

dftruf

Still Fresh
Ave,

I've found that many GBA roms, which don't run on gPSP emulator, work fine on Visual Boy Advance (on windows xp). So I decided to port VBA to wiz.
I've compiled VBA2x (VBA source prepared for gp2x), and when I run it with every GBA rom, I receive the system message:
"insmod: cannot insert `mmuhack.o': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error"

mmuhack module is used in GBA.cpp, in function CPULoadRom(const char *szFile) :
//Try to apply MMU hack.
int mmufd = open("/dev/mmuhack", O_RDWR);
if(mmufd < 0) {
system("/sbin/insmod mmuhack.o");
mmufd = open("/dev/mmuhack", O_RDWR);
}
if(mmufd < 0)
{
printf("MMU hack failed\n");
}else{
close(mmufd);
}
//...

Does anybody know what is wrong? I've used different versions of mmuhack.o, and still it doesn't work.
Maybe someone has ported VBA to Wiz already?

well it seems u are using the wrong mmuhack, namely the one used for the gp2x and not for the wiz. the wiz mmuhack must be named 'mmuhack.ko' and i think it is included in ginge and several other games/apps. i just can't find the original distrubution atm.

I should have a build for vba for the wiz on my ftp, i dont think i ever officially released it since it lacked any kind of menu. If you really want i can dig it up.

mmuhack from GP2X isn't going to work, it's a module for a totally different (much older) kernel version. Instead of using mmuhack on Wiz you should use the wARM module by notaz. For starters you should just remove reference to it.

By the way, just in case you aren't aware, don't get your hopes up for performance on VBA, it's not going to be anywhere near fullspeed.

Could you talk more about ROMs which don't work in gpSP? I'm not interested in fixing it, but it'd be good to know what to look out for if I do another GBA emulator.

Pickle said:
I should have a build for vba for the wiz on my ftp, i dont think i ever officially released it since it lacked any kind of menu. If you really want i can dig it up.

Yes, It would be cool if you dig it up. Lack of menu is not a problem for me.
Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Could you talk more about ROMs which don't work in gpSP? I'm not interested in fixing it, but it'd be good to know what to look out for if I do another GBA emulator.

These GBA ROMs don't run on gpSP (with VBA on windows version, work even without any bios file!):
* Tactics Ogre - the Knight of Lodis
* Onimusha Tactics
* Shining Soul 2
* Rebelstar - Tactical Command
* Riviera - the Promised Land
* Sea Trader - Rise of Taipan
* Shining Force - Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
* Sonic Advance

I think you're doing something wrong because definitely most of those games should be working, and at least Sonic Advance I've tested myself. Are you running them zipped or unzipped?

Exophase said:
I think you're doing something wrong because definitely most of those games should be working, and at least Sonic Advance I've tested myself. Are you running them zipped or unzipped?

Thank You for suggestion. I've tried unzipped ROMs, and now they work (only Onimusha Tactics doesn't run).
Why these zipped ROMs don't work on gpSP?

But still, in my opinion, VBA is good alternative GBA emulator, and wiz should has some more alternative ways to emulate ROMs :) , even with slow performance. Better slow game (but still playable) than no game.

I don't know why zipped ROMs would be bugged, except that 32MB ones aren't supported zipped (none of your games are 32MB, that I can tell)

dfTruF said:
Pickle said:

Yes, It would be cool if you dig it up. Lack of menu is not a problem for me.
Thank You.

So, where can I find link to this VBA for wiz? I've found another games which don't work on gpSP (even unzipped).

Back